Corrosion I think

davidt

Enlightened
Greeting everyone,

Recently I opened up my brinkmann lx to check out the batteries. I took the cells out and I discovered what I think is corrosion. I'm not sure what it was.

The positive end of the battery had green goo on it. It was a darkish green color. I just wiped off the goo on the battery. The goo wiped off real easy.

The contact inside the flashlight where the positive end of the battery touched was also covered in this goo.

I finally started cleaning my flashlight today. I couldn't remove the head of the flashlight so I took some tissue paper and a screw driver and cleaned the positive contact inside the flashlight. After the goo came off I noticed the contact had something that looked like rust on it.

Does anyone know what happened to my flashlight? I cleaned off the green goo. But how can I remove the "rust" inside my flashlight. It is a hard to get access to the contact because I can't remove the head of the flashlight. So the only way I've been able to remove the "rust" is by attaching cotton or tissue on the end of a screwdriver and trying to rub the contact clean.

I never let the inside of my flashlight come in contact with moisture so I am not sure if it would be rust.

I use the stock sanyo batteres that were included with the flashlight.

Does anyone know what is going on? The batteries didn't vent or anything and the voltage on them still read 2.93v.

Thanks for any help.

a4d

Enlightened
Ya definitley corrosion. Try maybe a piece of scothc brite on a screw driver or on an electric drill but keep it "SLOW" just so you don't break anything. Thats my guess bet some one else wil have a better idea.

Also the corrosion could be from a slow leaking battery.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your batteries failed. Even if they still read on a multimeter, the stuff coming out of them is not something you want to handle or be around.

First, see if the battery manufacturer will cover it on warranty.

If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer of the light about replacement parts or service.

If not try some DeOxit. Radio Shack carries it. It deoxidizes and leaves a protective coating so the oxidation doesn't come back. Makes electrical connections much better.

If that doesn't work try using an emery board (you'll find them in the cosmetic aisle of just about any grocery or drug store). These are abrasive boards used like a nail file. You can cut them to shape or size and use them to clean contacts.

Getting the replacement for free is best. Customer service from the maker of the light is also good. Chemically neutralizing is the next choice, and physically removing the damage is the choice when all else fails. Do the least to damage the light and then work up.

Of course, if the light still works and you can ignore it, that's the easiest choice.

And stating the obvious, if it were me I'd switch brands of batteries even if they were a bit more expensive.

davidt

Enlightened
I decided to just clean the corrosion myself. The light was only twenty dollars so I didn't feel it was worth the hassle to send the light in. But it was too nice of a light to throw away.

Anyways I just got done cleaning it using a drill with a scotch brite pad. Contacts are shiny again :twothumbs. Thanks a4d.

With corroded contacts I had to smack the light to get it to light up. Stuck some new batteries in with clean contacts and the light works great now.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
a few years ago i started putting a sticker in the battery compartment with the date the alkaline batteries were installed. I never go longer than a year now. All these vastly long expiration dates on alks these days might let people believe they can leave them in for years on end.