Why SureFire is more $$$ than Fenix???

Status
Not open for further replies.

roymail

Enlightened
I'm finally ready to spend some money on a better quality light. From what all I've read, it seems that Fenix is the logical choice. However, I'm also drawn to the SureFire lights except for the higher cost factor.

But that doesn't seem to bother the SF faithful, and SF has a substantial following. But why do they cost more than Fenix which also makes high quality lights?

Now, I'm still pretty new at this... so go easy on me. Thanks!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made in the USA vs. Made in China. Labor is more expensive in the US.

Wick

Newly Enlightened
Must we do this every week? You (roymail) joined in March 2007, since that time there has been about a thread every week, if not more, discussing why one is greater than the other. Almost every thread dissolves into Surefire and/or Fenix bashing. Does anyone really want to wade through 10 pages of the same garbage every week? I'm just tired of this never ending debate.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever hold a Surefire light and a Fenix light in your hands, side by side?? You will notice the differences in build quality right away...;)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you handle and examine one of each, the reason will be immediately and easily apparent -- and place of manufacture is definitely not the entire story. That said, I stopped buying Surefire years ago, when they chopped their distribution network and severely limited allowed discounts, because for me even the enhanced quality didn't merit the price. But that is a deeply personal decision, I can't fault anyone for going with SF.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must we do this every week? You (roymail) joined in March 2007, since that time there has been about a thread every week, if not more, discussing why one is greater than the other. Almost every thread dissolves into Surefire and/or Fenix bashing. Does anyone really want to wade through 10 pages of the same garbage every week? I'm just tired of this never ending debate.
And yes there is a lot of info on the subjet..do a little search and you will find plenty.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire not only produces in the US, but sources as much of their materials from the US as well. There are other factors at play, but this is a major one that people tend to underestimate.

Last edited:

litework

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how much a Fenix with an extended warranty would cost? I'm pretty sure I'd give Fenix a little more cash for a warranty that compares to SureFire.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Research and Development.

Better quality, machining and anodizing.

Made in the USA.

Last edited:

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I own several Surefires and owned a Fenix just to see what the hype is all about. In my opinion there is no comparison between the two brands and I struggle to understand how or why comparisons continue to be made. Fenix lights are bright no doubt about it but if I'm going to drop anything over $50 on a light, I'm going to save a little longer and get my money's worth with a Surefire. I have never felt these lights are over priced and have always been impressed with fit, finish, quality, and reliability. Never had to use the lifetime warranty but it is good to know its there. I guess the best way I can describe it is Surefire lights seem to be engineered from the ground up around the light engine with the best materials and manufacturing and Fenix lights are aluminum tubes that have a decent light engine at one end. That's my 2 cents.

SAVAGESAM

Newly Enlightened
Then why did you click on it???? Just because you've been here a long time gives you no right to be rude. See something you don't like....skip it. You act like you own this board. I'm new here and so is Roy. Make us feel welcome, not like a PITA.

IcantC

Enlightened
Look at the SF kroma thread by mcgizmo... See how much work goes into one of these.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the SF kroma thread by mcgizmo... See how much work goes into one of these.

truly impressive, but i'd like to point out that we haven't seen the inside circuitry of any competitors, so there is no conclusion to be made.

Surefire's labor costs more because it is made in the USA. However, the main factor is that they are supporting their image of the best quality flashlight manufacturer (while actually the only area they still reign supreme in is "feel." Build quality is top notch but now disputable as being the absolute best): it is apparent that they are in fact selling the flashlights to dealers at a much lower cost but fixing the price high because almost without exception the dealer passes some savings on with many free batteries included.

":ohgeez::dedhorse:" posters: yes, but roymail didn't post those, did he? Yes, he should read them, but he probably has and wants a conclusion/clarification, in which case the only problem is that he should be more specific in his post. I know that when I post a "help me" thread I appreciate a response asking me to clarify much more than a response expressing only annoyance.

sawlight

Enlightened
This is easy!!!!!
Buy the cheapest light of each, then come tell us what you think!!

roymail

Enlightened
Hey guys, I really didn't mean to start anything. I didn't realize that this was a "touchy" issue... so I apologize to anyone who is offended in some way. I do read quite a bit and I've gotten a lot of good information around the forum. I've even sent some PM's and, for the most part, have received courteous responses.

I live in a small community and don't have a place where I can examine these lights up close and personal. So I have to rely on guys like you for help and advice. Overall, despite some of the comments on this thread, I've gotten lots of good advice, and I always appreciate it.

I'll try to be more specific next time. And, Wick... thanks for the thread links. I'll do some more reading. I didn't realize that this question had already gotten so much attention.

Thanks to those of you who answered my question. You made some good points, and I understand the difference a lot better now.

Illum

Flashaholic
why does it matter?:duh2: since when does the additional price of a light hinder its quality?:shrug:

Surefires have been flamed for their price where fenixes are praised for being cheaper...which brand do I prefer? DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR GOING TO USE IT FOR!

Status
Not open for further replies.