Arc AAA vs. Photon II

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
Using price, durability, battery life, quality, and other relevant features, which is the better light? I have a black/white Photon II and I really like it, but the AAA batteries are so cheap I wondered if the Arc would be any better. Thanks!

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both. they serve different purposes for me. I keep the photon on my keychain for emergencies. I keep the ARC in my change pocket connected to a small swiss army knife. The ARC gets the most use. It's a pain to pull out my big set of keys everytime I need a light.

The ARC is more durable, waterproof, has better battery life, and uses cheaper batteries that are easily found around the house and easy to change. The Photon is much smaller and lighter, it disappears on the keychain and adds no extra bulk, and mine has a perfectly smooth beam vs my artifacty ARC. I also have a turquoise ARC, which I like best of all. I like them both. You should have both too!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the photon is smaller...

the arc aaa is:
cheaper to feed
cheaper to run
semi-regulated
waterproof (period...)
just plain indestructable!

basically, the arc is the unofficial official cpf flashilght, and if you don't own one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Photon kicks the Arc's butt as a keychain light, then the Arc gets back up and kicks the Photon's butt at everything else.

(Thanks Spud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto what Stingray said (seems we have a LOT of gear in common /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ). I have Photon IIs on my keyrings for emergencies and an ARC aaa Turq. attached to a Swiss Army Knife for normal situations. I would hate to give up any of them.

I REALLY like the way then turq. ARC will light up a large dark room.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Stingray and Saaby. I have both and they each have their special use, with the Photon II on my keyring and my ARC to use for air travel, etc.

-Mike

Edit: They are available in black and natural (HA). You might want to check out this thread for a good deal on ARCs at Vicomptel. You also can find some in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.