Know anything about Glo Toobs?

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
Hi Im new to CPF and wanted to know how useable a Glo Toob is. I camp and scuba dive alot and was wondering if this was a good buy. The dont have any information about the light on their website (lumens). Thanks for the help.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Im new to CPF and wanted to know how useable a Glo Toob is. I camp and scuba dive alot and was wondering if this was a good buy. The dont have any information about the light on their website (lumens). Thanks for the help.

Glo toobs are basically bullet proof. They are a solid chunk of clear resin with LED embedded in it. They are most useful as marker lights. If you are thinking about using one as lantern it's not going to work. But as a nightlight or marker, it's fine.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Glo-toob FX (7-Function)(amber), and can testify to their waterproofness. I use it primarily for marking my bag when I cave/camp, and they're as tough as nails...here it is in lay terms...the electrical parts are basically "dipped" in a solid plastic resin, and the machined down to proper size, so as long as the one cap stays on, it's virtually indestrucible. they're not the brightest thing on the planet, but are perfect in dark enviroments. The only problem I had was the battery that came with it had a "paper" top, so it was annoying trying top change the functions, but once I replaced it with a duracell with the plastic top, it worked like a charm. A great light, and I can't wait to get a few more in different colors. Hope this helps!:D

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened
I have both the FX and Lithium models. I have the dive cap set up with the FX and they say the Lithium is diveable with the rotating cap. These things are pretty cool for general lighting. I have found that moving between the functions of the Lithium is easier than the FX.

I have two white FX toobs, one white Lithium and one Amber Lithium. I wish someone would come up with a reflector setup for the Lithium models. HTH.

Mitch

2sparky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help I would generally use it as a marker for the campsite or a marker for wreck diving(get dad a blue and me an amber). Does the light come from the bottom or from all angles?

TNRonin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help I would generally use it as a marker for the campsite or a marker for wreck diving(get dad a blue and me an amber). Does the light come from the bottom or from all angles?

There are 4 LEDs, they point up towards the silver battery housing giving it a glow effect.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of the older ones. The light comes up from the base, fires through the resin and strikes an internal reflector to spread it out.

Here - check this review, which explains it better than anything else you're going to find;

http://www.dansdata.com/glotoob.htm

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
While we are on the subject, anyone knows a place with decent price on glow toob fx? I'd like one but not for $50 each.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
For diving etc, I would recommend Green and Blue as they are the most visible. The Amber may not have enough "punch" and will not be as effective. IMHO

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I take my blue glo-toob, turn it upside down (LED's face downwards) and it becomes a nice table-top 'candle' for intimate camping dinners... I find leaving the LED's facing up creates a harsh light that blinds me and everyone at the table.

I also take my red glo-toob, change the setting to pulse and strap it to the seatpost on my road bike or my camelbak for a multi-directional red light. Works great and it's brighter than the little flashing red LED that I used to have strapped to my bike.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Anyone else have multiple glo toobs and notice that some have more/less leds in there? I have one with three, two with four, one with five and one with six. What's that all about? The ones with more seem to be brighter to me.

g