Streamlight Sidewinder Articulating Flashlight

Confederate

Enlightened
Can someone give me some opinions on the Streamlight Sidewinder Military Flashlight? I don't know if the requirement for two lithium AA cells will allow me to use rechargables or not. Botach has this thing on sale for $43, but the output has me wondering how practical it would be.

There's a movie you can play on the website. Any views would be appreciated.

(BTW, this airline restriction on lithiums is a raw deal. Security concerns in this country have made survival provisions increasingly difficult to maintain. No strike-anywhere matches (bombmaking danger), no iodine more than 2 oz. (can be used in meth labs), and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped even shipping lithium batteries at some point. Thank goodness flashlights are still fairly easy to get and keep. Just wait until the government discovers that meth manufacturers can use them to see incredients in the dark! Then we'll need perscriptions to buy the bloody things!)

Thanks!

*hotlinked image removed*

Last edited by a moderator:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
In addition to the threads linked above here are my bookmarks on the Sidewinder.

My review of the light. (I love this light.)

Usual Suspects member alita22000's review. (May need to be a USN member to view this one.

Flashlightnews story on the Sidewinder.

You can use Lithium, Alkaline or NiMH cells in the light with no issues. Output on high is perfectly practical for EDC use. It's not a Cree throw-monster but it gives good general use light with the main LED.

BrightGuy has the Sidewinder at 49.95$ and is a much more respected dealer than Botach.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Confederate, that image in post #1 is hotlinked, which is not allowed. Please remove the link.

To display an image here on CPF, you need to copy it (with permission from the owner if applicable) and then upload it into a hosting service such as Photobucket.

Confederate

Enlightened
In addition to the threads linked above here are my bookmarks on the Sidewinder.

My review of the light. (I love this light.)
Thanks, everyone.

Couldn't get this link to come up, but it seems this light is long on runtime and short on brightness, which is fine with me. Looks like it could be an ideal reading, back up light. I've been stuck in situations with NO light, sometimes on dark trails. Even when I had one of those old Boy Scout lights, I could barely see what was ahead of me.

Cree LEDs have sure made things a lot better.

Oh, and sorry about the hotlinks.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Thanks, everyone.

Couldn't get this link to come up, but it seems this light is long on runtime and short on brightness, which is fine with me. Looks like it could be an ideal reading, back up light. I've been stuck in situations with NO light, sometimes on dark trails. Even when I had one of those old Boy Scout lights, I could barely see what was ahead of me.

Cree LEDs have sure made things a lot better.

Oh, and sorry about the hotlinks.

The link to my review should be working now, the forum I posted it on was having some technical problems.

fasuto

Enlightened
I have one, I like it because of their originality and diferent led colours but I found it not to practical, for hands free is better a headlamp and for multimode I prefer other lights.
Also the beam patterns of the coloured leds are not nice, red is better.
It works fine with NiMH rechargeables.