Anybody watch the Academy Awards?

arioch

Enlightened
#%^*(@! that Michael Moore! He was already on my $h!t list for his movie "Bowling for Columbine", when he goes up on stage at the Awards to spew forth some nonsensical drivel about "fictitious this and fictitious that" in criticizing President Bush and the war in Iraq. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

To the audience' credit, Moore's retarded speech drew forth more booes than cheers from those assembled.

If you are going to make some type of statement on a subject matter during a nationally televised show, then at least make sure your statement makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it dispicable that he was willing to denounce the war, but was unwilling to say anything about the soldiers who were there, or the Kurds who were gassed to death by a leach...

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Would it have been more honourable in the likes of Will Smith et al that withdraw their presence from the function as a retraction of support for the event due to the war?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it have been more honorable if they have kept the Academy Awards to what it should be: an awards show on film entertainment, instead of a platform for political jargon?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent seen bowling for columbine. i have seen roger and me.

look closely at his documenteries. he films everything, then edits it all down to make himself look good, and everyone else looks like idiots. it is very underhanded. i consider his stuff to be spoof or satire--not "documentary", because he does not show all sides of the issue.

Bob

d'mo

Enlightened
What do you expect from an industry that congratulates itself than all other industries... combined.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think is says a lot good for the actors that they had the good sense to boo and hiss mr moore off the stage. His whole performance was deplorable.

I used to think he was a pretty interesting guy. I loved some of the stunts be pulled on Phillip Morris and filmed. But Bowling for Columbine was not a documentary at all. It was fiction. There are lots of sites on the internet where people have tracked down some of the footage he used, like the NRA footage that he insinuates quite clearly is a reaction to the events at columbine, when in reality it's completely removed in time and function. He has moved events around in time to make a more interesting story, but it's no longer the truth. A good friend of mine was a teacher at one of Columbines sister schools when this all happened and BfC is bull.

Anyone further interested in WHY it's bull should Start Reading Here

Fiction is fine, I enjoy it every day. But fiction that pretends to be truth is a lie.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Bowling for Columbine wasn't a documentary - it was agenda entertainment.

If the Academy Awards wanted a real documentary they should have showed the 6 minutes of footage from Al Jazeera.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had anybody else heard that an anti-protest group had bought up all the billboards around the Academy Awards denouncing the protestors and the Hollywood Idiots and that that was the real reason they canceled the red carpet?
They would have had huge billboards supporting the US in every camera shot.

WaltH

Enlightened
The majority of those actors are folks with only high school educations. I wonder what makes them think they're knowledgeable enough to make decisions on world matters? They're actors and musicians. They're all a bit "off".

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
WaltH said:
The majority of those actors are folks with only high school educations. I wonder what makes them think they're knowledgeable enough to make decisions on world matters? They're actors and musicians. They're all a bit "off".

[/ QUOTE ]

My, that's a pretty sweeping statement. Many of our Founding Fathers couldn't read. Dr. Laura's credentials are suspect to put it mildly.

What's your point? Celebraties get attention because we give it to them. And from extensive research in the field, I can assure you that a college education won't make a person any less of a moron. As for them all being a bit "off" - try riding the bus someday. There are plenty of folks that are more than a bit off that recieve as little attention from others as possible.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
It's not surprising that many actors believe they know how to run the world. What is surprising is that anyone pays attention to anything they say.

I'd be willing to bet that if anyone spends more than a week at a liberals arts college with a drama program, they'd think that any idea that an actor came up with HAS to be wrong.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I'm a musician and I still bring home a paycheck and my sister is a actor with a college degree, and not from some little liberal arts college either.

Generally your generalizations are generic and if you genuinly took a gander at the gist of this gritty drama youd get the grand... sorry ran out of g words... So if you had the opportunity to have lots of people pay attention to what you had to say you wouldn't take it? Oh, wait, you already did, just up a few lines on this page... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think it's a shame that so many use the soap box they are offered to show just how NOT clever they are, but no matter what you're going to say, few can refuse the soapbox when thrust apon them!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Brotherscrim said:
My, that's a pretty sweeping statement. Many of our Founding Fathers couldn't read. Dr. Laura's credentials are suspect to put it mildly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever seen Dr. Laura and our Founding Fathers mentioned in the same body of text before. It's kinda like reading about Chopin and beer can tabs in the same paragraph.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Well, back to the serious side...the college I had in mind was Carnegie Mellon, or whatever they're calling it these days. I spent some time there, and pretty much the consensus of the non-drama students was that the drama students were, indeed, nuts. Not bad people, by any means, but still nuts. Possibly an overly broad generalization.

In any event, one of the nice things about THIS particular forum is that typically we approach each other as equals. This isn't typical of people who are thrust onto the television.

The part that I don't understand, more specifically, is why anyone would think an actor would have any better idea of world events than, say, a plumber or a gardener. (Yes, I think most actors are nuts, but this is beside the point, even though I did bring it up in the first place.)

Along these same lines I don't understand why TV news people like to interview the "man on the street" about world events. Did it ever occur to them, or the viewer, that if we wanted to know what some random person thought of things we could just ask ourselves?

If you ever visit Albany, and see people walking down State Street, I'll be the guy trying like hell to avoid being caught on camera by the fat guy on channel 10 interviewing some poor shmucks about the day's events. Film at eleven...

James - My brother's a musician...seems like there should be a joke in there, but I can't find one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How does that go? Mostly, generalizations are true?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i just heard the idiot say that the people on the balcany started booing, and the other people booed to get the booers to stop booeing!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif what a lieing idiot!

he also said that he had recieved nothing but support from everyone about his remarks!!!!!!!!

that is completely false and ridiculous! if he is stupid enough to utter such blatant and obvious lies on tv, i have absolutely no doubt (not that i didn't doubt before) that nothing he produces can be taken for face value.

hey guys....i haven't even graduated high school yet, and i'm not completely stupid, so that can't be the reason for the actors ingorance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care who Michael Moore is, whether he is a good or bad actor; but NO ONE should use that podium to denounce the war. I agree that people can have their opinions, but this is taking it too far.