DBS V2 3SD vs. WE Rattlesnake 300 lumen (Xenon)

Wolf-Eyes fan

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

The title says it all:

I know it´s a little hard to comparise two different lights (Xenon and Led cree) but how would an Wolf-eyes M90 rattlesnake (300 lumens) be in a comparison with a DBS V2 3SD?
Which one can throw farthest?

Best Regards Marcus

KRS1

Newly Enlightened
I think its 2 different things comparing xenon and LED. I know my DBS v2 kick *** in throw and i love it, i dont regret a thing about it apart from being black colour.

Im waiting for them to realease SSC p7:devil:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
One would do a much better job lighting up a room of your house. One would light up a person in a white coat 200+ yards away. Both are a little big to put in your front pocket.

Wolf-Eyes fan

Newly Enlightened
Re: DBS V2 3SD (sm+op) vs. WE Rattlesnake 300 lumen (Xenon)

So would the DBS throw longer than the rattlesnake?
Which one would be best at distances like 30-80 m?

Patriot

Flashaholic

So would the DBS throw longer than the rattlesnake?
Which one would be best at distances like 30-80 m?

Yes, the DBS would throw further than the rattlesnake.

What to you mean by "best at distances like 30-80m?" The DBS would still post higher lux readings at any distance. The rattlesnake will produce more overall lumens, produce a nicer color temperature (imo), and will illuminate a wider area. If this is best in your book then the rattlesnake would be best. If you're trying to read the writing on tires with binoculars at 80m then the DBS would be best because of more lumens falling on the small object your observing. Obviously run-time may be an important factor to you also and something you'd have to consider.

Norm

Retired Administrator

And upgrading the Rattlesnake to 700 Lumens is as easy as changing the lamp.
Norm

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgrading the DBS is also easy, you just change the pill(~ $30.00). I have 3: 2SM Q5, 3SD Q5, DI R2. Not in the neighborhood of 700 lumens though, but ~ 29,000 lux.

Last edited:

litework

Newly Enlightened
The DBS will throw quite a bit further than the Wolf-Eyes M90, even with the 700 lumen LF (EO-13) lamp. As others have mentioned, the Wolf-Eyes has much more flood. I can easily light up a two acre pasture with the Wolf-Eyes. I don't know how the WE M100 bezel compares to the DBS. I love the M90, but I use the DBS a whole lot more because of its throw and more compact size.

Taboot

Enlightened

And upgrading the Rattlesnake to 700 Lumens is as easy as changing the lamp.
Norm

True, if it's a rechargeable Rattlesnake. If memory serves, the EO-13 works with 18500s or 18650s(I use these). It's awesome!:twothumbs

Wolf-Eyes fan

Newly Enlightened
Ok,

So the DBS clearly has the longest throw (225-250m). But how long can the rattlesnake actually throw? (150m?)

litework

Newly Enlightened

True, if it's a rechargeable Rattlesnake. If memory serves, the EO-13 works with 18500s or 18650s(I use these). It's awesome!:twothumbs

Yes...three 168As so you need an extender for the tube in addition to the lamp.

Wolf Eyes fan, I wish I could tell you how far the "stock" M90 throws. I can't seem to locate my factory lamp. I bought the 13V conversion at the same time I bought the light. I don't think I ever even used the original lamp. I bet it will throw 150 meters, though. What about the Rattlesnake M300?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The real question should be "which one is more useful?". Rattlesnake, no doubt.

Depends on your definition of "useful."

The current model DBS comes with a pocket clip. You might not want to sit down while carrying the light around, but no need to fumble with a holster.

In terms of length, it'll be easier to draw a DBS from a pocket than a Rattlesnake from a higher-riding belt holster.

sims2k

Enlightened
I can light up the reflector signs on the barn across from my office window at night from 3/4 mile away with the DBS SMO Q5 and read it too with a binocular. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can light up the reflector signs on the barn across from my office window at night from 3/4 mile away with the DBS SMO Q5 and read it too with a binocular. :)

Hmm.... Powerful flashlight + Binoculars.... Hope no one gets the wrong idea! :whistle: