Some questions about N30

dimbulb

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am pretty new to this. Currently, I have a rechargeable Mag (incan, ~250 lumen, I think).
I use it mostly to keep an eye for my dog when I let him out in my backyard and short duration job like taking out the garbage from my backyard to the curb.

Regarding N30, is there a lag between initial turn-on to its full brightness? Is there is a lag - how long it would be? I also intend to use the light for very short duration (1 min -2 mins). Is this a good use model?

Thanks!

BVH

Flashaholic
Most HID's have a lag-time to warm up. Some as little as 1-2 seconds, others are 45 seconds to full brightness. When the N30 is initially turned on, it is putting out an estimated 750 Lumens right away (my estimate). It then takes about 35 to 45+ seconds to get to full brightness (3000+- Lumens) So yes, there is a lag but even with the lag, it's brighter than your mag at the moment it's turned on.

Short bursts are typically not good for HIDs. However, I use all my N30's for 30 seconds to 2 minute bursts. If the bulb is rated for 2500 hours, then maybe I'll get 1250 hours out of it. For me, that would still be years of use without changing a bulb. Count up your typical hours of use and you'll robably find 1250 hours would be a very long time. You'd probably end up getting a new light before the bulb died.

Last edited:

dimbulb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the succinct reply!
Incidentally, how much does the bulb cost if I have to replace it?
(I got really tired of replacing my bike's halogen lamps, which are not cheap, that were rated 100 hours but usually lasted much less than that.)

BVH

Flashaholic
You got me there! With all the HID's I have and have had, I've never HAD to replace a bulb. I've bought spares but never used one. My GUESS is somewhere around $60 to $85? Matt at Battery Junction could tell you. Also, the L35 is due shortly. You might want to look at that light. It's going to be a little more money but the improvements are worth it, in my opinion. If you're not familiar with it, do a search on it (Titanium L35) when the search function is re-instated.

I'd be curious as to how many of us have HAD to replace an HID bulb due to normal wear and tear only?

dimbulb

Newly Enlightened
It's going to be a little more money but the improvements are worth it, in my opinion.
That's why I am really reluctant to be active on these forums. It is a slippery slope. Strictly speaking, I really don't need any HID lights. A $10 Mag light should suffice.
However, I have been salivating over the N30 for a while.
Yes, I know the spec of the L35 (based mostly on that drug-pusher MtBikeDad guy!). I don't want to think about it - the next thing I know I will be getting those >$2k
polarion flashlights!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Best turn around and run full speed away from here now before you hit double digit posts! After that, it's all over!

Yeah no kidding!!!! LOL!!! :laughing:

I can confirm BVH's experience for the warm-up time on the N30. It's a good 35 seconds or so. It doesn't impact the usefulness of the light at all though and all of these 24+ watt HIDs are producing gobs of light within a second or two.

For your dog checking activities, how about a Vector "2 million" or "3 million" candle power, rechargeable incandescent spot light. They're about $35 buck and would perform perfectly for that. They're around a 1000 lumens depending on the light. Nothing wrong with them at all, I own a couple. Just a suggestion if you're trying to save a few bucks.

Of course the N30 is a whole different class and a great emergency light. The LED array at the front of the handle comes in very handy too. When the L35 is released, I'll probably sell the N30 cheap if you still don't have one by then. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hey, wait a minute Pat36......I'll have 3 I'll want to sell...LOL

Haha!! Three N30s!! Ok...you have first rights then. Since mine looks like new, it may end up as a b-day or Christmas present for a family member.

BVH

Flashaholic
I think 2 of mine are mint so they, too, will end up as presents once the L35's are released. Of course, I'll pluck out the R2 LED upgrades and put them in the L35's.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone installed a larger battery pack in the N30 yet? I'm really considering doing this and would like to hear what formula others have used. I've searched the N30 threads but not come across what I'm looking for.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Good call Bob. If I install a larger NiMH pack in there it's just going to be heavier and it's pretty stout as it is. If we get a true 90+ minutes out of the L35 I will be tickled happy. Matt stated that the prototypes were running over 100 minutes. That's even better!

Thanks for the great link..:thumbsup:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some answers:

We don't yet offer spare bulbs but we're trying to put together a program - there are substantial safety concerns switching bulbs on an HID. That said, the bulb has about 8X more life than the battery pack so it's unlikely you'll need to replace it.

We won't 'advertise' this but the L35 prototypes have not run less than 112 minutes - we'll probably use 100+ as the spec. :)

Something else you can consider is this: http://www.batteryjunction.com/magcharger-tle-300mr.html as it will make your MagCharger 2-3 X as bright and can be cycled on/off all you want without harm....of course the N30 is on sale right now... :)

BVH

Flashaholic
Matt, the L35 is going to be one very nice light package. Once I retro the R2 LED pkg into it, well, WOW! It's going to be great having the 110+ run time and the soft feel of the rubberized surface. With the larger AH Li Ion battery, will it still be lighter than the N30 or about the same?

Are we looking at another month or two?

Based on the poll on changing HID bulbs, I'd say there's not a hurry to stock extra bulbs. But i guess there will always be the odd broken bulb now and then.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some answers:

We don't yet offer spare bulbs but we're trying to put together a program - there are substantial safety concerns switching bulbs on an HID. That said, the bulb has about 8X more life than the battery pack so it's unlikely you'll need to replace it.

We won't 'advertise' this but the L35 prototypes have not run less than 112 minutes - we'll probably use 100+ as the spec. :)

Something else you can consider is this: http://www.batteryjunction.com/magcharger-tle-300mr.html as it will make your MagCharger 2-3 X as bright and can be cycled on/off all you want without harm....of course the N30 is on sale right now... :)

Matt is being honest and straight forward as usual. :thumbsup:
It is very wise to spec less on the box.
I have been testing one of these packs too and get 112 minutes to the minute every time.

Consider your use. If you just need light to get around the house, then get the N30 and an extra battery or two.
The L35 is going to be real nice, but it will also be more expensive and have improvements you may not need for the uses you listed.
The N30 is good at lighting up areas too if you want to set it in one spot and then take out the garbage or do something in the yard.

How big is your yard?
I have lots of lights but may be selling most of them soon because all I really use regularly anymore are my N30 and L35 prototypes and preproduction units and occasionally my Mag 85.
If you live in a dark area and get used to HID, is is really hard to settle for less if you have it available.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Patriot

Flashaholic
With the larger AH Li Ion battery, will it still be lighter than the N30 or about the same?

Good question. I think Matt said it was going to be about 9ozs lighter even with the larger battery, but I wonder how much lighter it's going to be now with the rubber armor. Anyhow, it should be an amazing light. I love the runtime figures too. Great job!

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's 9oz lighter even with the rubber coating. The battery isn't any 'bigger,' the li-poly cells have a higher energy density and lighter weight than the NiMh and the original li-poly cells made for the first prototypes so the physical package is unchanged but the weight is down 9oz. :)

We're still probably 60 days out - the last minute changes and certifications added time but WILL be worth it. There's been another upgrade since my last update post...more on that later. :)

BVH

Flashaholic
Geeze Matt....am I gonna have to wait till I'm retired to get one of these????????????????

(Retiring in 55 days):D :twothumbs :nana:

Last edited: