Need a bit of help choosing?

thebigjim

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Been viwing these forums for a long time now, ive recently started as a Police officer in the UK. I have been issued a Minimag AA (Nice and Cheap for the force), but i would like to purchase a better light. I have around £40 ($80) to spend, the light has to be able to go on my belt and be less than 9" long. I have looked at Fenix lights, they seem ok. It can be Incan or LED i dont mind. I would like a light that has more throw than spill. Ideally i would like a switch at the back that has a momentary on, so i can use it tactically (Is this a forward clicky). I dont need lots of different levels of brightness, Maybe full power and low?
If anyone has any suggestions i would be very greatfull, also i dont mind ordering from abroad, but dont want to pay a huge amount of money for shipping. I have seen some new P7 lights for sale with bigger heads, does anyone know if they will throw more than the last ones. Do any online retailers offer free shipping to the UK?
Thanks a lot in advance everyone.
BigJim.

warlord

Enlightened
Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix TK10 should be good for your task. The L2T V2.0 might work too.

The P7 lights will need a larger reflector to have the same beam pattern and throw as most of the other lights. This is because of the larger emitting surface of the LED.

I've heard Fenix Store can get thing to Europe addresses in about a week. So if you do buy from there(use "CPF8" for 8% off like warlord said), expect to wait up to two weeks max.

:welcome:

Last edited:

thebigjim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply guys. The TK-10 seems very good, Would the throw on that be a lot farther than the L2T Q2 you mentioned, i like the idea of the L2T a it runs on cheap AA's. Are they the only Fenix lights i can press the tailswitch to get a momentary on, what switches do the other ones have, ones that i have to press fully. What is the type of switch that the surefire 6p has, my friend has that and you can hal press and turn the tail? Thanks a lot.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The TK10 will throw further then the L2T V2.0. There's a decent difference in throw.

The TK10, T1, L1T V2.0, and L2T V2.0 are the only Fenix lights that have a forward clickie(momentary on with a half press, constant on with a full press). The other ones light after you have clickie and took your thumb off the switch. It's called a reverse clickie.

I call the type of switch that the 6P has the momentary twistie.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi,

i am not sure what other lights are available in-stores in the UK, but some other options include.

Pelican M6 xenon, LED module replacement can be bought to replace the original xenon module.
http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2320

Inova T1 (reflector ver.).
http://www.inovalight.com/military.html

Surefire G2L.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24460/sesent/00

it'll be ideal if stores have a sample piece to try out the feel and brightness as technical specifications on paper alone sometimes can vary widely from 1 brand to the next. i usually bring my EDC light to compare the brightness in store before getting my next purchase. :popcorn:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
bigjim,

I am from the UK too, and have ordered 5 lights from FenixStore, of which 4 have arrived. However, for the one that did go missing, FenixStore met me halfway, and gave half of the value as store credit. This is beyond what they were required to do, because the free shipping is entirely at buyers' risk. You can get insured shipping for only £5 extra.

Although the Fenix TK10 is nice, be prepared to either order in batteries from other countries, or enjoy rip-off Britain. Compared to your Minimag, the Fenix L2T V2.0 Q2 will seem significantly more than adequate. Power it with a set of Eneloop AAs, and you don't have to worry about the cost of batteries (I get Eneloops from Budpak in the UK). It is similar in size to your Minimag, whereas the TK10 is perhaps a little too chunky.

Also consider the Surefire G2L though. I have the G2, and it is a nice little light.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
would a polymer clad light be better suited for use when temperature drops? :shrug:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:Welcome to CPF from another UK member.

I have to agree with Mike here.

Although the TK10 is brighter and will throw further than the LT2, I wouldn't advise anyone on the beat in the UK getting one due to the fact it uses CR123 batteries. If you're out and about and you need to get hold of some batteries quickly, you can buy AA's anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, the TK10 is a great light. I was one of the beta testers for the first version. Here's a link to the abuse I gave it.

Swings and roundabouts.

If you do go for the TK10, then stock up on CR123's . 7dayshop.com and component-shop.co.uk are two stores that come to mind. Make sure you carry a spare set with you, otherwise they will cost £6 each from Tesco's!

Also be aware if you buy from overseas you may get stung for import duty/tax if it costs more than £18.50 (including shipping), oh , and the post office will charge you around £8 to collect the money and pass it on to C&E , nice.

Let us know how you get on.

Windscale

Enlightened
thebigjim,

Which area are you serving?

I would agree with the view that you ought to get something which will run on eneloops. You will save a lot of money in a long run and do very little harm to the environment.

Windscale

Enlightened
why not run the tk10 on rechargable 123s?

The TK10 is designed for CR123As. Have you any experience on how it runs on RCRs? What is the reduction in runtime? I personally hate using 2xRCRs as this would create obvious danger. Can the light work on 1x17670 or 1x18650?

HeadCSO

Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Been viwing these forums for a long time now, ive recently started as a Police officer in the UK. I have been issued a Minimag AA (Nice and Cheap for the force), but i would like to purchase a better light. I have around £40 ($80) to spend, the light has to be able to go on my belt and be less than 9" long. I have looked at Fenix lights, they seem ok. It can be Incan or LED i dont mind. I would like a light that has more throw than spill. Ideally i would like a switch at the back that has a momentary on, so i can use it tactically (Is this a forward clicky). I dont need lots of different levels of brightness, Maybe full power and low?
If anyone has any suggestions i would be very greatfull, also i dont mind ordering from abroad, but dont want to pay a huge amount of money for shipping. I have seen some new P7 lights for sale with bigger heads, does anyone know if they will throw more than the last ones. Do any online retailers offer free shipping to the UK?
Thanks a lot in advance everyone.
BigJim.

Hello and welcome to CPF.

A good friend of mine is a police officer. He was originally issued with a 3D maglite which he hated as it was cumbersome to carry around. I got him a Fenix L2D for his birthday which he loved. Now carries it night and day (the mag used to be left in the car all the time).

I would suggest you get Fenix's L2T V2 Q2. If you wish to order from a UK dealer, I would recommend www.thephotonshop.co.uk. This is the official UK importer and the owner, Rob, gives fantastic service.

I am recommending the L2T because it is easily carried on your belt so you can have it with you at all times. In fact, it fits very nicely in the AA mag holster should you not want to use the supplied one.

With it running on AA batteries, you can be supplied with them by your workplace or use rechargeables, especially Eneloops as recommended by Mike Salt.

If you are only use to output of a 2 AA mini mag, the L2T will blow you away.