Suggestions on a new Fenix light for new member

teesh

Newly Enlightened
New member here.......been reading for 6 months or so. Won't embarrass myself admitting to what I currently have for torches. But I'm sure you can guess.
Couple questions........really like the sounds of the L1D and L2D. Will likely buy some of the E01's once they are available immediately without wait. I read something about a 4-in-1 kit for the L1D and a P2D head......or something like that. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these? Checked the fenix-store but don't see it. If I'm imagining this then what all is needed to convert the L1D to a light using the CR123 batteries? I'm pretty sure I did read something about this though.
Also, are the Energizer E2 lithiums a good lithium battery for these lights? I've seen the thread on batteries but its so many pages long and quite old that I'm not sure its current.
As for rechargeables, from what I read the Sanyo eneloops seem to be the way to go. Do you agree? Trying to find these locally.
Any help or opinions appreciated. Thanks.
I'm worried this flashlight thing could get addictive. But I'm not married so it shouldn't be a problem.:grin2:

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum, teesh. I believe LightHound still has the 4-in-1 PowerPack (link) Fenix-Store and LightHound are both very reputable dealers.

I think the tailcap and head (containing the LED module) are the same, and you only need to swap out the L1D body for the P2D body to accommodate the different sized battery.

E2 lithiums would be just fine and will provide maximum runtime. Some people even run 14500 lithiums in the L1D for higher output (like having an L2D).

I prefer Eneloops myself. Low self-discharge is wonderful.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi welcome to CPF!

I ordered my 4-in-1 kit from Lighthound.com - fantastic service!! If you order over $75 then US priority mail is free, and use coupon code "cpf" for 2% off on top of your order.

They threw in a bonus Photon for me which was unexpected and a great nice surprise for me. :)

The L1D is 1AA, and the P2D is CR123. You get both bodies & tails, and one premium Q5 head to use on either one. Perfect for which ever battery you have on hand.

I think the lithiums are fine for these lights. With rechargeables you can't go wrong with Eneloop. I bought a lot of them from CostCo during the holidays.

Good luck and enjoy!

:welcome:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum, teesh. I believe LightHound still has the 4-in-1 PowerPack (link) Fenix-Store and LightHound are both very reputable dealers.

I think the tailcap and head (containing the LED module) are the same, and you only need to swap out the L1D body for the P2D body to accommodate the different sized battery.

E2 lithiums would be just fine and will provide maximum runtime. Some people even run 14500 lithiums in the L1D for higher output (like having an L2D).

I prefer Eneloops myself. Low self-discharge is wonderful.
The L1D and P2D have separate tails, and the 4in1 contains both the bodies and tails. They are not cross compatible. Only the head is compatible between both.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Marduke. I don't own either the photon or the fauxton (before now) but the fauxton is really nice! :)

And the fact I got a killer deal on my order, free shipping, 2% off, and then they threw in the free light was just amazing. :thumbsup::eek:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also fairly sure that the P2D and L1D use the same exact tailcap, and only the body is different.
I haven't tried it, but according to this thread the tail caps are not compatible:

{EDIT to ADD - CORRECTION:
I was told by 4sevens that the P2D body is NOT backwards compatible with the tailcaps from the L1/2T (or L1/2D)-
the tailcaps from the L1/2T, and L1/2D do not work with this P2D -
however the tailcap from the P2D does fit and work on the L1/2T, and L1/2D the P2D tailcap is a bit loose on the "L" bodies -
and the L1/2T tailcaps do fit and work on the L1/2D.....}

It doesn't really matter because you get both P2D tailcap and the L1D tailcap in the 4in1 powerpack so no need to swap tailcaps anyway. :thumbsup:

Tubor

Enlightened
Hi teesh! :welcome:

I'd like to recomend the T1+E01 deal at the fenix store (as it's what I'll be getting soon).

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_52&products_id=477

It uses cr123's, is very tough, and looks pretty cool too. At that price you could also get some lithium primaries (non-rechargeable, but longer lasting than rechargeables), and maybe even a water-proof holder:

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=53_59

They are now also selling the highly recommended "AW" rechargeable batteries (you'd want the "Dual bay charger + 2 x RCR123's" for $29, plus at least another 2 "RCR123's" at $9 each):

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=53_57

If all that sounds a bit complicated then the L2D premium would be very nice and works with AA batteries:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

It's free world-wide shipping and will take approx 1 week, maybe 2 to Europe (not sure why I'm thinking Europe). And use the redeem code cpf8 for another 8% off your whole order! :party:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think Fenix Store is out of 4 in 1 kits. Lighthound still has them though.

The L2D, L1D and P2D all have the same circuit and threading, so the bodies are compatible, the tailcap for the CR123 light is different then the tailcap for the AA light though.

Lithiums are better for low usage/long storage. If you will be using it often, go for rechargeable. Eneloops with low self discharge is a good battery. Duracells' 2650 mAh batteries are pretty good too but they will self discharge faster.

:welcome:

teesh

Newly Enlightened
WOW........I want to thank everyone for the replies and the welcome. Also, the coupon codes. Looks like I'll be ordering the 4 in 1 set from Lighthound. I may get two of them, along with some batteries. Fenix store will be getting an order for the T1 as suggested or the TK10. Not sure which I'd rather have yet. Also some E01's.
Thank you again for the suggestions.

teesh

Newly Enlightened
Uh oh..........one concern I have.........lighthound has the 4 in 1 set but the specs (lumens) on both lights are much less than what is stated on the Fenix-store website for the Q5 version. Is the one sold by Lighthound the non-premium version of the two lights (L1D/P2D)?
Please let me know before I place my order.
Thank you.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh oh..........one concern I have.........lighthound has the 4 in 1 set but the specs (lumens) on both lights are much less than what is stated on the Fenix-store website for the Q5 version. Is the one sold by Lighthound the non-premium version of the two lights (L1D/P2D)?
Please let me know before I place my order.
Thank you.
No worries it's a premium Q5. Mine from Lighthound is the premium Q5. :)

It looks like they copied the (older) L1D-CE and P2D-CE specifications onto this 4in1 product info. They should have used the correct Q5 specifications, as you observed. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Great eyes!

Last edited:

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
As for rechargeables, from what I read the Sanyo eneloops seem to be the way to go. Do you agree? Trying to find these locally.
Any help or opinions appreciated. Thanks.

The Duracell Pre-Charged rechargeables MADE IN JAPAN have been identified as re-branded Eneloops and can be found at walmart. But be sure to look for the white circle around the positive end and check the package for country of origin, as those made in China are not eneloops.
I found them in a 6 pack.

And be sure to buy your CR123s online because they cost way too much in stores. Surefire and Batterystation are top brands because they are made in USA and usually the best price.

Be sure to visit the CPF specials/discounts page for more deals.

teesh

Newly Enlightened
LED........ah, thanks for that info. Glad to hear they are the new premium lights.

Aye.........thanks also for that link to the discounts/specials page. Those of us that are new members aren't aware of some of this good stuff.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!