Maglite LED

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a high lumen LED for my Maglite 6-D Cell.

Gene at Malkoffdevices does not produce his Quad LED anymore... So what is the next best thing? I already have his 4-5-6 D Cell light but I want something brighter.

I've seen the TerraLUX TLE-300 for sale but it looks cheap. Any other suggestions that compare to the Quad Gene once produced?

Thanks

roymail

Enlightened
5 cells and a dummy would give you 7.5v and a max output of more than 500 lumens (according to the chart). I'd probably figure out a way to use 2 x 18650's.

Recommend you send an email to Gene about it. He's great about giving advice about the stuff he makes.

Take it from Gene... not me (my disclaimer) :grin2:

from the Malkoff website:
Do not run this drop-in module above its rated spec of 8v, doing so may damage/destroy the power circuitry.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yes, you're not going to find batteries like that much cheaper. But you could alway check your local Target or Walmart.

Check with the folks at Battery Junction, but they're probably going to recommend this charger:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/vabcunsmch.html

You might also inquire about a combo package. Maybe they'll work with you. Best thing to do is call them on the phone.

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened

Gene at Malkoffdevices does not produce his Quad LED anymore... So what is the next best thing? I already have his 4-5-6 D Cell light but I want something brighter.

I've seen the TerraLUX TLE-300 for sale but it looks cheap. Any other suggestions that compare to the Quad Gene once produced?

Thanks

You could send your light to ElektroLumens and have Wayne install his "Wall Of Fire" - (4) SSC P7 LEDs - up to 3600 lumens :http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=178585

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I know this is the LED section but have you though about a ROP mod? It's an incan mod that should give you around 800-100 lumen out the front for around 2 hours with good rechargeable D batteries.

Are you looking for more output in general or more throw?

take a look at the 1 watt upgrade from niteize

www.niteize.com

That would be nowhere close output wise to any of the above discussed drop-ins.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
I know this is the LED section but have you though about a ROP mod? It's an incan mod that should give you around 800-100 lumen out the front for around 2 hours with good rechargeable D batteries.

Are you looking for more output in general or more throw?

That would be nowhere close output wise to any of the above discussed drop-ins.

I don't know what that is, it sounds confusing. I really don't know, I just want lots of light and distance... So is that a combo of great output and throw?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
ROP thread.

It's a over driven 6v bulb(to 7.4v, or around 8.4 with fresh off the charger good Li-ion/NiMh batteries) in a Maglite.

For the 6D, 6 NiMh D batteries(8 amp hour or more should be good), Pelican Big D bulbs, metal reflector, and a glass window.

Output should be around 800-1000 lumen out the front, throw should be around 150-200 meter(or more or less) depending on the reflector and how dark the surrounding is.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
ROP thread.

It's a over driven 6v bulb(to 7.4v, or around 8.4 with fresh off the charger good Li-ion/NiMh batteries) in a Maglite.

For the 6D, 6 NiMh D batteries(8 amp hour or more should be good), Pelican Big D bulbs, metal reflector, and a glass window.

Output should be around 800-1000 lumen out the front, throw should be around 150-200 meter(or more or less) depending on the reflector and how dark the surrounding is.

It looks like a lot of work..! I think I would be better off buying the already complete product.

I did however just buy,

BC1HU Charger
16D Tenergy 10,000 mAh NiMH Batteries (for all my Maglites)
24AA/12AAA Tenergy NiMH Batteries

I won't need any batteries for a long time!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's actually pretty simple.

Swap reflectors, swap window, drop in the bulb and battery , and you should be good to go.

I made a Mag85, similar to the ROP, a tiny bit harder. Once I got all the parts, it took me less then 30 minutes to put together. It was my first and currently only hotwire mod.

Back to LEDs.

You might be able to use 3 dummy cells and direct drive a Seoul P7. But that could be harder then the ROP.

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
It's actually pretty simple.

Swap reflectors, swap window, drop in the bulb and battery , and you should be good to go.

I made a Mag85, similar to the ROP, a tiny bit harder. Once I got all the parts, it took me less then 30 minutes to put together. It was my first and currently only hotwire mod.

Back to LEDs.

You might be able to use 3 dummy cells and direct drive a Seoul P7. But that could be harder then the ROP.

What is a "dummy cell"? I'm assuming it's a fake battery which fools the light into thinking it's real? I don't understand the purpose of this.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a "dummy cell"? I'm assuming it's a fake battery which fools the light into thinking it's real? I don't understand the purpose of this.
It's usually a piece of metal shaped like a battery with shrink wrap on it that you put in a light so the batteries take up the right amount of space, but obviously it doesn't add any voltage. So, if you've got a 4AA light, and the bulb you put in it can only take 3AA's worth. You put in 3AA's and a dummy AA.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks

6-D Maglight?

Holy cow is that an actual using light or is it just for show?