Odd concept: Shoelight

Illum

Flashaholic
http://gizmodo.com/375502/pioneer-sneakers-light-your-way-with-built+in-headlights
Designers Feijun Chen & Bin Zhao clearly were reading Skymall when they dreamed up these "Pioneer" sneakers with built-in recharging headlights. They've got a battery inside which charges on each step, using some mysterious tech that doesn't look piezoelectric. Apparently this can power the LEDs in the front for a full 12 hours. So you can, you know: run in the dark down dim-lit streets, or something. Maybe they'd be handy for doggy-do detection? Just a concept, for now. [Yanko design]

Is it possible to build a slim dynamo or piezoelectric and use the sole pressure when jogging or walking to recharge a set of caps?

there are DIY sites that has "USB LED lights" that uses USB to charge a super cap and feed an LED through a resistor. Do you think we might see more of these?

I'm hoping for some type of "media slice" thats removable after the shoes wore out. dunno, thought to share since search haven't given me anything:(

opinions?

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i thought it would be distracting if the lights keep on bobbing up & down every step. would such light induce motion sickness akeen to seasick?... :green:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a gimmic or is that a gimmck?
Possibly a good kind of thing for joggers to be more visible at night?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
rubbish to see by because the light would go everywhere but in front of you.... Good to be seen, though.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, it would be a great idea if the light came out the back of the shoe.....no more 3M retroflective material!

this way, the energy lost in the foot strike would be put to good use.

for use as a "headlight" i doubt that it would generate enough power to drive an LED at any decent level enough to see by. Even if they found a way, they should make it connected to a seperate Module to affix to your hand, or whatever...

IMHO, would be absolutely pointless for running, but hey, who needs 10000 lumens lights every day anyway right? the whole point is FUN..:D

Crenshaw

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually, it would be a great idea if the light came out the back of the shoe.....no more 3M retroflective material!

this way, the energy lost in the foot strike would be put to good use.
Crenshaw

I had one of those shoes when I was a kid... 2 red leds will blink everytime you step, so much fun.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly if they were to do this, I'd also like to see red lights on the back for added safety measures. May not sell well for adults, but every kid and parent would want these (depending on cost).

Illum

Flashaholic
i thought it would be distracting if the lights keep on bobbing up & down every step. would such light induce motion sickness akeen to seasick?... :green:

I stopped wearing headlights when I jog because of that...:duh2:
still, I find it interesting that with all the dynamo lights no one used piezoelectric...I mean gee...imagine one day punching bags can generate power:candle:

betalight

Newly Enlightened
Electric shoe.......

Bwahhaaaaaaa.....
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.02/baylis_pr.html

34c.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
My shoe lights didn't have rechargeable batteries but they did have fiber optic whiskers in the tail as well as a single forward facing toe light:

nightwalkers.jpg

betalight

Newly Enlightened
My shoe lights didn't have rechargeable batteries but they did have fiber optic whiskers in the tail as well as a single forward facing toe light:

nightwalkers.jpg

McGizmo,

You have pretty sweet feet!

Kick it up a notch and install some 405 nm UV led's on the straps to illuminate those luscious toes.... and use GID NAIL POLISH... Puh..puh...PuWeeeeease!

If you care to care, any GID polish made with strontium aluminate activated with europium would do... color does not matter.

:naughty:

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
I stopped wearing headlights when I jog because of that...:duh2:
still, I find it interesting that with all the dynamo lights no one used piezoelectric...I mean gee...imagine one day punching bags can generate power:candle:

headlights really that bad too? i think the exercise bicycle would do very well as a dynamo charger. stepper machines could use a piezoelectric charger for phone batteries.

sounds like a grand plan is in the works? :popcorn:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
betalight,

I made those shoes for a friend. She wore them to a Burning Man a number of years back. I could have been more clear in the post about that I suppose. :nana:

warlord

Enlightened
Light up shoes always remind me of this story I heard or was it a video? A criminal was fleeing police one night but he was easily tracked by the police even through thick brush and forest.

The police just watched for his feet - he was wearing shoes that lit up when he walked. :crackup::banghead:

betalight,

I made those shoes for a friend. She wore them to a Burning Man a number of years back. I could have been more clear in the post about that I suppose. :nana:

Whew! I was just thinking about how ugly my feet look by comparison.:faint: