L2P fenix question..

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
newb here, first post. just thought to myself one day that led flashlights kick *** and googled led lights and have been conducting my usual nerd research since. my fenix L2P just got here today. everything ive read about this light has been positive. and the build quality is nice. so heres my question, is it supposed to rattle when you shake it? cause mine does....

Niconical

Enlightened
I have one. It has had in it AA Energizer alkaline and AA Energizer lithium and with neither did it rattle. I'd suggest you make sure the head is fully tightened. Check the tailcap is tight as well, but it most likely is or the switch would not work to turn it on.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

I'm assuming the rattle you are talking about is the batteries, and the short answer would be NO, but...

It's suprising how much difference there can be in the size of AA batteries, which are supposed to be the same. This is especially true with rechargables. Have you tried a few different brands?

If the rattle is not the batteries, then the answer is definately NO.

EDIT: After shaking my L2P I did notice some battery rattle which I had not noticed before. This is with RoV Hybrids.

Last edited:

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
ok, yea its definitly the batteries rattling. but i tried two different brands, duracell and sony and both rattled. and the tail cap is definitly screwed in tight.

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
ok so i cut a length of glossy paper like a post card and put it around the batteries. is this ill advised? it gets rid of the rattle. could this cause some sort of problem?

VolumeRate

Newly Enlightened
ok so i cut a length of glossy paper like a post card and put it around the batteries. is this ill advised? it gets rid of the rattle. could this cause some sort of problem?

you can try this too, but it might influence the connection. also you can use some magnet to enhance the stability of the battery. but since you said you tried different batteries already, i bet nothing related with battery now?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had never noticed it since I loaned my L2P to my son soon after I got it, but I found it in his room today [not easy] and the RoV Hybrids did rattle in it a bit when I shook it. Mine is not a length wise rattle, but a diameter-issue rattle. I guess they just made the tube big enough to get the battery out if it leaks and expands.
I think your fix will work fine, the important contacts are with the spring in the back, and the circuit board in the front contacting the battery nipple. I don't think your fix could interfere with those. In lights that get very hot you might not want to block the thermal transfer between the battery and the tube, but in an L2P this shouldn't be an issue.

note: WOO HOO post 1,000

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you know something?

If you swap in a current gen LED for the Luxeon I in the L2P(the Seoul P4 works best), you'll get double or more output for the same runtime.

The battery is probably the only thing that should create an audible rattle.

I've wrapped normal printing paper around a battery and that significantly lowered the noise made when the light was shaken.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
...If you swap in a current gen LED for the Luxeon I in the L2P(the Seoul P4 works best), you'll get double or more output for the same runtime...

I also have an L2P. I'm very new to all this, but this upgrade to the L2P is something that might be a good start for me to try. Is it something that can be done by a beginner, or am I over reaching myself and it needs more knowledge?

If you think I could do it, can you recommend where I could get this 'Seoul P4' ?

Thank you :)

Actually, scrap that. I've been reading some more and it looks more complicated than I thought. :shakehead
I do want to move on though, so am I going to look for a lux meter, that way I can do some tests on my lights and batteries without the risk of damaging anything.

Maybe I'll leave the LED mods for a few months.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's normal for batteries to rattle. The tube can take the hi capacity nimh or was designed with them in mind. They are usually bigger. Also the tubes varies from batch to batch. I have that rattles a lot more than the over.

Don't bother to mod it fenix used red thread locker it's a pain. I did it but it wasn't easy. Just use it roughly till it breaks then upgrade. Too bad they're so tough.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2P v2.0 and I've noticed that my Eneloops rattle, while, if memory serves, my Energizer E2s didn't. I think it is just that there is variation in the diameter of AA cells, depending upon their capacity and manufacturer. Some fit snugly, some are a loose fit.

And, yes; it does bug me, just a little.

Last edited:

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
Do you know something?

If you swap in a current gen LED for the Luxeon I in the L2P(the Seoul P4 works best), you'll get double or more output for the same runtime.

The battery is probably the only thing that should create an audible rattle.

I've wrapped normal printing paper around a battery and that significantly lowered the noise made when the light was shaken.

:welcome:

swap out my luxeon??? never! i love it! brightness isnt really my goal with lights like this one. what i want, is the closest to white i can get with no tint. this led is VERY good in that respect. while im at it, can anyone recommend other lights that would be comparable or better than the L2P in this reguard?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A similar tint can probably also be achieved with the correctly binned Seoul P4 U-bin.

Each LED light can have a different tint, even if the LED is from the same bin(the variations will be small). A lower priced light can have a better tint then one which costs $50+

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
A similar tint can probably also be achieved with the correctly binned Seoul P4 U-bin.

Each LED light can have a different tint, even if the LED is from the same bin(the variations will be small). A lower priced light can have a better tint then one which costs $50+

i know right? it makes it hard. does anyone else share my passion for pure white? no tint.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know right? it makes it hard. does anyone else share my passion for pure white? no tint.

Welcome to CPF!
Flashaholics are a fickle bunch. You'll find that some prefer cool tints, some prefer warm tinits and others prefer as pure white as possible. Many members have paid extra for a guaranteed tint (like with the old HDS GT's) and others return lights that have bad tints. It's all part of this hobby. Whatever makes you happy I say.

zapper

Enlightened
When does anyone shake their flashlight during normal use and how much noise does it really make? Going to use it at a quiet rave? LOL

What some people have done is the same as you and put in a piece of paper.

NOW, you could also write your name and address and the word REWARD on the paper in case you lose it. An honest person may actually return it someday !! :eek:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
swap out my luxeon??? never! i love it! brightness isnt really my goal with lights like this one. what i want, is the closest to white i can get with no tint. this led is VERY good in that respect. while im at it, can anyone recommend other lights that would be comparable or better than the L2P in this reguard?

I love my L2P for that also. I have a good Streamlight ProPoly 4AA that has a great white tint also, but have seen a few others that are not as white. One Peak McKinley I had with the snow leds was also very white.