KD Buckle AAA vs. Fenix E01

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
First off, I would like to thank bessiebenny for his fantastic reviews of these two lights. He recommended the E01 as a keychain light due to its longer runtime and smaller size. The light is also $8 cheaper ($15 vs. the KD's $23).

However, the KD seems to be the better overall light to me. I'm considering getting one of these for my father (Father's day is this Sunday) and I'm not sure what would be best. He generally only uses lights in short bursts, so the poor runtime of the KD isn't much of an issue and I think he would appreciate the extra brightness and better beam quality.

What do you think makes the better AAA light considering all of these factors? Is the KD too large for keychain use? Is the E01 as dim and purple-tinted as people say? Which would be the better gift for Father's day? Thanks for any input!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

You can't compare the two lights. The only similarity is that they use a AAA cell. The E01 is not "better" than the KD buckle, just as the buckle isn't "better" than the E01, and an M6 is not "better" than an E01/buckle. Which would suit your dads needs better? Personally, I'd recommend the E01- it's not too much light for poking about in computers/cupboards, and enough to walk with at night.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can't compare the two lights. The only similarity is that they use a AAA cell. The E01 is not "better" than the KD buckle, just as the buckle isn't "better" than the E01, and an M6 is not "better" than an E01/buckle. Which would suit your dads needs better? Personally, I'd recommend the E01- it's not too much light for poking about in computers/cupboards, and enough to walk with at night.
Yep, It I'll last a lifetime and is easy on the batteries too. Not a scorcher though but that is often a good thing.
The KD is a blinder but battery life is poor and it won't do well on an alkaline cell at all.
Its all a compromise...

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened

Perhaps the inclusion of "vs" in the title was misleading. My apologies. I know that each serves a different function, but they are both designed as keychain lights so they aren't that radically different. The E01 is a great light no doubt, but I heard a lot of negative comments in various threads about its beam quality and output. Granted, my dad doesn't need a spotlight, but the blue/purple tint of the E01 isn't very appealing.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Perhaps the inclusion of "vs" in the title was misleading. My apologies. I know that each serves a different function, but they are both designed as keychain lights so they aren't that radically different. The E01 is a great light no doubt, but I heard a lot of negative comments in various threads about its beam quality and output. Granted, my dad doesn't need a spotlight, but the blue/purple tint of the E01 isn't very appealing.

Unless you're a "white wall hunter" I think anyone would be pleased with the E01. Most of the negative comments were from people who were expecting something more than what a 5mm light could ever be. The super powerful pocket rockets tend to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, or you blind yourself when you turn them on for simple tasks.

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
I agree and I have both. I like the KD V4 but it is not that useful as the batteries run down way too fast. The E01 is a really great light, when used in the dark it has just the right amount of light, and its much smaller than the V4. The tint isn't that bad I don't mind it at all actually. Also it is driven perfectly for a GS led if you want to see a bad tint in a white wall take a look at an overdriven GS, AKA DX fauxtons:sick2: But again I'm not a white wall hunter. I'll post some pics later.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been searching in the forum to see what edc pocket light (just to keep it in my backpack) would fit for me but I have a question:

The fenix E01 ($15) outputs only 10 lumens, which is half the bright of a $1.30 keychain light from DX? sku 1155. This DX item claims to have 22kmcd which according to google calc is 22 lumens. Is this true?

And can link me to the other two 1xAAA light mentioned in this topic? thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've been searching in the forum to see what edc pocket light (just to keep it in my backpack) would fit for me but I have a question:

The fenix E01 ($15) outputs only 10 lumens, which is half the bright of a $1.30 keychain light from DX? sku 1155. This DX item claims to have 22kmcd which according to google calc is 22 lumens. Is this true?

And can link me to the other two 1xAAA light mentioned in this topic? thanks.

That conversion is not right. The DX fauxtons are not 2x as bright, and sure are not 22 lumens.

mcd is a measure of hotspot intensity, not total output. The Nichia GS is 35000mcd btw.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i see.

If i want good output with 1xAAA 1.2v which is recomended?

I have 8 rechargeable AAA eneloop so the run time is not a matter.

Anarchocap

Enlightened

IMHO, the V4 is too big for pocket key chain carry. It should be an AA light given its size. The E01 is much better suited for key chain duty. I personally have both, but carry neither on my key chain. I prefer the smaller Photon Freedom with the DS Nichia coin cell light for my key chain.

Last edited:

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess I'll go with the E01, it's not as if it's a bad light and for $15 I don't think I'll regret buying it.

Last edited:

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess I'll go with the E01, it's not as if it's a bad light and for $15 I don't think I'll regret buying it.
I think you and your father will be happy with the E01. I bought one as a backup EDC, but I find that I'm using it more and more as my first "go to" light.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i see.

If i want good output with 1xAAA 1.2v which is recomended?

I have 8 rechargeable AAA eneloop so the run time is not a matter.

Both lights use boost circuits, so voltage doesn't play that much of a role.

Eneloops and other rechargeable cells are called 1.2V, but they run above that, at around 1.4V. Alkalines typically run beneath their nominal voltage. Rechargeables perform much better under load than alkalines.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the KD buckle light has low runtime because of its extreme output. That WAS the idea behind it. Also, according to KD, its regulated..an output/time graph i recall seeing showed almost flat regulation, then a quick drop off. I cant find the graph now though.

Crenshaw

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
i like my KD buckle but the runtime isnt good as expected, it also turns on in your pocket sometimes which doesnt help.

i ordered an E01 over a week ago and i am more eager to receive this light than i was when i ordered the KD buckle. i like high numbers, but theres something about the E01 which makes me think otherwise, i think with something so small, l'd rather have brightness over runtime.

cant wait for it to arrive

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened
My main reason for carrying a light on my key chain is that I will always have light in case of blackout or emergency. Under such circumstances I do not want a light that will go dim after a half an hour.

I have an E01 on my key chain now after many years of carrying an Arc.

I like bright lights as much as the next guy, and I may buy a KD buckle light soon. But first things first...

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
Id recomend the E01, im happy with mine and the runtime is amazing, just enough light for small jobs or getting about in the pitch of night. If your willing to spend a little more Id get an LoD. Its my favourite light offering ling runtimes on low or blindingly bright on high. As for the Gs Fauxtons, I recieved two from the first batch that were really bright and had a brilliant white warm tint, I ordered another two on the last batch and they were truly awfull, bright purple yeuch!!!

Rob

bltkmt

Enlightened
More importantly it seems to me is that you have a much better chance of getting an E01 (Fenix-Store) in time for Fathers Day?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately get the E01. Sorry for saying this, but high power aaa lights (single mode) like the KD are kind of a novelty thing, for s.... and giggles (not that there's anything wrong with that) unless maybe you're wearing a tux or something and would have a KD in one pocket and a long runner in the other. Then again people do only have Solitaires with maybe the same runtime as the KD so....:shrug:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the AAA battery from a car alarm remote, which was beeping to indicate that the battery was depleted.

I put the depleted AAA in my E01, and compared the output to a fresh AAA cell, and it was almost as bright as a fresh AAA cell.

The E01 is mighty impressive in having such consistent brightness and super long run times with AAAs that you can just put the battery in there and forget it.

The E01 rocks.