LF5XT 1st impressions - plus pix

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
It gives me great pleasure to announce that my search for the almost perfect 1xAA torch has now officially ended, with the arrival of a black LiteFlux LF5XT.

After having my interest piqued by this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198193 I immediately ordered one via LED Cool as soon as they became available. Thanks Khoo!

OK, enough preamble. After playing with it constantly for several hours, here's my thoughts. A lot of comparisons with the NiteCore Defender Infinity, since that torch generated a lot of recent buzz

Dimensions About 0.5cm longer than an NDI, same diameter. Similarly knurled. Feels nice in the hand, very solid. Head: crenellated, with the lens O-ring protected. Not sure if the lens is AR coated. Tailcap: has a metal button with a very nice feel, similar to pushing a button on a mobile phone. Lanyard slots are provided. Torch can tail stand, but can also roll.

Fit & finish: Perfect. Not as much of a selling point since most recent torches >$40 are well put together. Nevertheless, the anodising is spot on, the LED is perfectly centred and there's not a speck of dust. The thread machining is smooth and even the innards of the head and tail are clean and well presented, with clean brass and no solder blobs. The torch comes in a nice wooden presentation box with O-rings, lube, lanyard, but no holster.

Beam: Finally a Cree beam without raccoon eyes! The "frosted" reflector does a great job, the beam profile is similar to my Novatac, with no rings. The beam profile is narrower than most 1xAA Cree beams, with a less distinct hotspot. I'd say max brightness on par with an NDI with the same battery type. No PWM visible. I did not detect flickering at any brightness level (others have https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2522403&postcount=351).

UI Again, very HDS/Novatac like. And like those torches, the button controls the torch by sending signals to a microprocessor, so there are no flickering issues as observed in some recent forward clickies such as the NDI, and no bezel twisting (which I dislike) required - true one handed operation. I would rate the programming difficulty on par with the Novatac. It takes a few minutes but once set, you'll probably rarely use it. The torch can be set to remember last mode or always come on in 1st mode; brightness (1-100lm on NiMH) and strobes can be assigned to any mode (I set mine up with a locator beacon on one mode, a la HDS/Novatac); the number of modes themselves can be changed from the default 5 down to 1 if desired. True momentary mode can be activated. The torch will report back battery voltage, and can be set to protect 1.2V NiMH and 3.6V Li Ion batteries. There's no thermal stepdown though. Nor automatic switch off.

OK, so how would I sum things up?

Pros: Incredibly well built; true microprocessor controlled with great switch; flawless beam; extremely versatile UI. Looks and behaves like a >$100 torch

Cons: <1lm low would be nice; some inductor whine at higher brightness; the laser engraving is in a cheesy font (!, this should show how hard I am scrabbling to find cons).

Personally I think LiteFlux has done an incredible job to get such a fully featured 1xAA torch out the door with such high quality and at such a good price. I think it will be a big hit and hopefully will inspire other manufacturers to follow suit. I'm also sure that v2 will be out before too long with further improvements.

Is it perfect? No, but it's as good as I've yet seen in a 1xAA torch, and as close to a 1xAA Novatac/HDS/Ra as we're ever likely to see. YMMV :)

I'm sure more comprehensive photo and run time threads will appear as more people get hold of their LF5XTs, but in the mean time here are a few pix to give you an idea about beam quality. Notice the smaller beam and lack of rings compared to all of the other Cree torches.

The culprits, in order of size:
Proton Pro, NDI, L1D-Q5, LF5XT, Angel-A
aa-torches.jpg

Beamshots.
All taken at 15cm from the wall. Colour rendition not accurate.

Left: NDI, minimum. Right LF5XT, minimum
ndi-lf5xt.jpg

Left: Proton Pro, adjusted to same output as... Right LF5XT, minimum
protonpro-lf5xt.jpg

Left: L1D-Q5 medium. Right: LF5XT adjusted to similar output
l1dq5-lf5xt.jpg

Left: Wolfeyes Angel A, minimum. Right: LF5XT, minimum
angela-lf5xt.jpg

LF5XT outdoor beamshot
lf5xt-outdoor.jpg

NDI outdoor beamshot. Tighter hotspot, dark ring, wider spill
ndi-outdoor.jpg

Looking for a better review? The LF5XT is the highest rated torch at Light Reviews.
http://light-reviews.com/liteflux_lf5xt/review.html

Harada77 has some good pix here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/200448

EDIT: Thoughts after 24 hours
If I could only keep 1 of my AA torches, this would be the one, no questions about it. If you're one of many on CPF (like me) who think that HDS/Novatac are the last word in 123 torches, then you'll likely feel the same about the LF5XT for AA torches.

EDIT: Thoughts after a week
It's a shame that LiteFlux had LED delays, as I feel a bit lonely - I'd hoped there would be more people joining in the LF5XT love fest by now. With this and the D10 it looks like a new generation of high quality AA torches is finally here.

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LF5XT 1st impressions

Thanks for the review. As always looking for more photos and such.

Looking forward to having one in my kit in the future... hopefully soon.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review gadgetnerd, very much appreciated! :thumbsup:
and no bezel twisting (which I dislike) required - true one handed operation.
I guess I'll just never understand this one. To me, a button switch is the most likely switching mechanism to require two hands. With my twisty pocket lights, as the LF2, I find that when I draw it from my pocket to illuminate something, by the time it's out of my pocket, it's already on and ready to point at the target. This is something I find much harder to accomplish with a button, even with the fist hold, which I don't particularly care for, except when holding the light overhead. Nonetheless, I think for programing, LiteFlux did it right with the micro switch/button setup. I just wish you could turn the light on and off with a twist.

Looking forward to receiving mine, and, again, great review!

Dave

RGB_LED

Enlightened

Thanks gadgetnerd, great first impressions review. I've been eyeing this light and will likely add it to my growing number of 1AA lights.

Some questions:
- You mentioned there is no flickering with the PWM... is this on all levels? I notice with some of my lights that the lower the setting, the more obvious the PWM, especially when you wave the light around. When the light is still, I don't detect any flickering.
- You mention that the hotspot is a bit more narrow than the NDI but with less distinct hotspot... would you happen to have a Fenix L1D-Q5 to compare? I'm just curious as my L1D has a softer hotspot than my stainless C3 even with the OP reflector and the C3 is also a bit brighter.
- Do you have any beamshots? :popcorn:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

To answer a few questions and comments:

1 - The PWM is something like 7400Hz, so basically it's not visible in any mode. I have several torches where the PWM becomes very noticeable at low brightness (eg Proton Pro, Wolfeyes Angel), this torch is not one of them.

2 - The beam itself is narrower than the L1D and NDI, with a less defined hotspot and brighter corona. There is a thread on CPF showing this, I just can't find it.

3 - If you like twisties then the LF5 might be up your alley, if you can find one...

I'll post some pix and beamshots soon.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

3 - If you like twisties then the LF5 might be up your alley, if you can find one...

I totally agree, especially with the last part! I've been working on it since being on the LF5 List 8 months ago. :sigh:

Dave

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gadgetnerd, thanks for the review. Just a quick question. I read somewhere that there's a delay from pushing the button till the light actual come out. Is that true with yours? I only one AA light in my arsenal and I'm looking to pick this one up ... looks pretty promising. Sorry if this has been replied somewhere else.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Excellent review, GadgetNerd !

:thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing this info with us.

_

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened

Gadgetnerd, thanks for the review. Just a quick question. I read somewhere that there's a delay from pushing the button till the light actual come out. Is that true with yours? I only one AA light in my arsenal and I'm looking to pick this one up ... looks pretty promising. Sorry if this has been replied somewhere else.
This is not a bug. It's 0,4sek on all to allow programing.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

I personally don't mind the slight delay, about on par with switching modes on the NDI. The light can be set for true momentary though, which will allow it to come on straight away if you click/hold it.

I definitely recommend adding this to your AA arsenal, who knows, you may not need to buy another AA torch for quite some time then :)

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I definitely recommend adding this to your AA arsenal, who knows, you may not need to buy another AA torch for quite some time then :)

Adding LF5XT to our arsenal will be more difficult than expected. :(

We learn from LEDCool this morning that those of us whose lights were not shipped initially will have to wait a while. It appears that CREE are not deliverying the required R2 LED's in due time but they are late by a couple of weeks. :shakehead

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Adding LF5XT to our arsenal will be more difficult than expected. :(

We learn from LEDCool this morning that those of us whose lights were not shipped initially will have to wait a while. It appears that CREE are not deliverying the required R2 LED's in due time but they are late by a couple of weeks. :shakehead

You all have my complete sympathy, there's nothing worse than delays when you're expecting something great. It's times like this that make me glad I'm an impulse buyer!

mighty82

Enlightened

Mine was sent one week ago, but I still havent seen it. I keep running to the mailbox every morning, only to get disappointed again and again. It's probably the customs keeping it hostage.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the beamshots it looks like you lost the emitter lottery. I don't know if it's really that greenish or if it's just your digicam screwing up the colour, but if it's really like that... ew.
Then again, I'm the first to say that you only notice these things when shining the light at the wall (as opposed to, you know, using it).

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the beamshots it looks like you lost the emitter lottery. I don't know if it's really that greenish or if it's just your digicam screwing up the colour, but if it's really like that... ew.
Then again, I'm the first to say that you only notice these things when shining the light at the wall (as opposed to, you know, using it).

my dereelight R2 pill looks exactly like that tint,to me that is what i expect from the R2 emitter,fantastic for outdoor ( i know becoz i have use my R2 walking along the shore and the marine cost guard officer even impressed with it )

Nice review man ( to bad it will only ship out on July 1st due to R2 shortages)

clintb

Enlightened
I received my LF5XT yesterday and noticed the tint as well. I'd liken it to the WH coloration of a Dereelight DBS R2 pill. Although, the LF5XT only has this tint at the lower levels; once you start ramping up (sorry, didn't keep an eye on that), it gets much whiter.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
As I stated, the colour rendition is not accurate, as I used auto white balance. The real point of the exercise was that I used a short exposure to try to show any beam artifacts. I haven't lost the tint lottery at all, the R2 is simply warmer than the Q5, at lower levels anyway. It's very white at higher levels. The lottery I lost was for the Proton Pro, which is essentially yellow to the point of green...

Last edited: