Beamshot Request: P3D (both models) Vs. P2D (both models)

Doug

Enlightened
Beamshot Request: P3D (both models) Vs. P2D (both models)....

Anyone have pics? Thanks!

Doug

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have both and honestly, you're not going to see much from the beamshots. As Gunner pointed out, they are the same beam profile, but the P3D has a slight advantage in output. If I get to it tonight, I'll do a shot with them both in the same photo for comparison.

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, well, now I am curious... what is the different going up the line... from the L0D on up? I hear that the P0D is very bright (with a 10440) for it's size, and that the P1D looses modes on a RCR123 .... is the P2D much brighter than the P1D, but without the RC123 issues of the P1D?

Doug

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The beams of all three P-series Fenix lights are virtually identical. Those with smooth reflectors have a slightly more pronounced corona and "Cree Donut" than the textured ones, and the ones with Rebel emitters have a warmer tint and smoother beam overall.

The output/brightness of all the Ps is very close (within the 20% margin of perceptible difference) and all will appear roughly equal on their highest settings. The largest difference is runtime - on a primary cell, a P1D on low will go ~13 hours, whereas the P3D will last *over three days*.

As for RCR123 use, only the P3D has a boost/buck circuit, which means all modes operate normally; the others have only a boost circuit, so all modes turn to "Turbo" on a 3.7 volt cell.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you mean L0D-CE? There are no P0Ds.

The P1D and P2D both loose modes with a 3.6/3.7v RCR123 battery.

The P3D works fine with 2 RCR123 batteries.

All of the P series up to now have the same/similar beam pattern.

Fenix's naming scheme.

Here's how it works. All are Type 3/HA unless otherwise stated.

E = AAA powered
P = CR123 powered
L = AA or AAA powered
T = CR123 powered with a forward clickie, two mode, tighten for high, loosen for low, uses a Cree XR-E Q5 LED (for now; when they add more models, this might change)

0 = 1 AAA powered, for the E series, 1 5mm LED, currently the Nichia CS, all twisties.
01 = 1 AAA powered, E series, multicolor anodizing, 1 5mm Nichia GS.
1 = 1 battery, for the E series, 1 Nichia Power LED, For the P series, a twistie.
2 = 2 battery powered or for the P series, 1 CR123 with a clickie.
3 = For the P series, 2 CR123 powered.
K10 = TK10, an "improved" version of the T1 with a removable grip ring, aluminum bezel, and removable clip. Performance is not changed.

+ = Special stainless steel run, a small run prototype that Fenix sold
P = "Premium" Luxeon I, V2.0 means 2 modes, Luxeon
S = Two mode (tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon I, Type II andodizing
T = Two mode (tighten for high, loosen for low) Luxeon III, V2.0 means Rebel 80, twice the output
D = Digital, Multimode
CE = Cree XR-E LED, newer and at least twice as efficient as the Luxeon I/III LEDs. For the same power, it puts out twice or more output
Rebel 80/100 = Luxeon Rebel 80/100 used, usually has a warmer tint
No designation = Luxeon I or III

If there is a thing after the CE, that is to designate the Bin of the Cree XR-E LED used. Q5 means it uses the Cree XR-E Q5 LED. No designation after the CE means it uses the P3 or P4, depending on date of manufacturing.

The Civictor V1 is a 1 AA twistie with Type II anodizing. There was a multimode stainless steel model made.

There was a special Titanium version of the L0D made. It was called the L0D Ti. There was also a Christmas version(red type II anodizing with Christmas decorations) called the L0D SE. There is also a Q4 version.

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, this makes sence... I am finding that I like the beam with the OB/non-smooth reflector..... Thanks.

Doug

The beams of all three P-series Fenix lights are virtually identical. Those with smooth reflectors have a slightly more pronounced corona and "Cree Donut" than the textured ones, and the ones with Rebel emitters have a warmer tint and smoother beam overall.

The output/brightness of all the Ps is very close (within the 20% margin of perceptible difference) and all will appear roughly equal on their highest settings. The largest difference is runtime - on a primary cell, a P1D on low will go ~13 hours, whereas the P3D will last *over three days*.

As for RCR123 use, only the P3D has a boost/buck circuit, which means all modes operate normally; the others have only a boost circuit, so all modes turn to "Turbo" on a 3.7 volt cell.

Doug

Enlightened
Ahh, yes, LOD CE Q4... Wow, lots of info, thanks :)!

Doug

Do you mean L0D-CE? There are no P0Ds.

The P1D and P2D both loose modes with a 3.6/3.7v RCR123 battery.

The P3D works fine with 2 RCR123 batteries.

All of the P series up to now have the same/similar beam pattern.

Fenix's naming scheme.