The Throwers

looman

Enlightened
What is the current lead pack on the throwers ?

Are the MRV, Raidfire Spear, DBS, A8/9 still the leaders.

Looking with interest at the MPV - could do with floody but range is more important and it isnt exactly EDC is it :-(

And have any of the thrower makers come out with a tape switch which they always promise as an option but never deliver on ?

Thanks

Si

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I believe the DBS is still king. The MVP has alot to flood but I dont think it out shine in distance wise the DBS, its close when you look at Lumapowers website.

Patriot

Flashaholic
In order (aprox.)

DBS
Raidfire Spear
Tiablo A9
Lumapower MRV
Malkoff Device in a mag is right up there also.

looman

Enlightened
So essentially, the LED thrower market has stalled then. Have they reached the limit ?

It doesnt sound like the P7 is usable as a thrower and tri or quads means the reflector is a problem for throwers.

I would consider an MVP but its throw that is king for me

I also guess thats a no to tape switches also

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that yes the thrower market has reached a plateau. LED brightness has slowed down in the past 6 months compared to the insane year that 2007 was. There is some hope that the Cree MC-E will be a better thrower than the SSC P7. But I wouldn't count on any groundbreaking new innovations in LED throw like we saw with the first generation of superthrowers.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get a good bit more throw by using larger and deeper reflectors, but then it won't be that practical.

The Dereelight DBS still seems to be on top. You might be able to find a way to install a tape switch by first removing the internal parts of the stock switch.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say that yes the thrower market has reached a plateau. LED brightness has slowed down in the past 6 months compared to the insane year that 2007 was. There is some hope that the Cree MC-E will be a better thrower than the SSC P7. But I wouldn't count on any groundbreaking new innovations in LED throw like we saw with the first generation of superthrowers.

Cree has had that lab sample LED that is getting 1000 lumens from a single die. That will be the next huge leap.