Remove the muffler from your Prius...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Removing the muffler will cause a reduction in power from the engine.

In any case, I think this bill is retarded. If they don't keep statistics on quiet vehicles and accidents with pedestrians, how can they know there's a problem?

o0o

Enlightened
The muffler comment was in sarcasm.

It shouldn't make a difference anyway, since at low speeds IIRC the electric motor is running the car. I think the Prius only uses the gas engine above a certain speed?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl.../1034&title=Lawmaker__Electric_cars_too_quiet

The CA lawmakers want the Prius to make noise.

Am I the only one that thinks this idea is silly?

Remove the muffler, and that should meet their wishes. :D

I think the problem is that hybrids use the electric motor off the line. So driving around the city they make little to no noise. Fine for most people, except for the deaf*. However some hybrids like the older civic hybrids actually shut off the motor when the vehicle stops and until it's needed. Taking off the muffler probably won't work very well, because the gas motor isn't in use at low rpm, and even if it remained on it wouldn't make much noise at idle, with or without the muffler. revving the engine while not in use would negate some of the fuel savings. The muffler has rusted off my ford, it is still just as quiet as most cars at idle. I think it may actually be quieter than my old wrx, at idle.

Edit: Blind*... stupid Ryan... sorry.:crackup:

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The muffler comment was in sarcasm.

It shouldn't make a difference anyway, since at low speeds IIRC the electric motor is running the car. I think the Prius only uses the gas engine above a certain speed?

oops nvm. I just read this.

You are right though. Some cars may have the motor on and not in gear and some may have it off, and also out of gear. Kind of the same in terms of noise. Maybe some differences in fuel economy depending on driving style and drive train layout

edit: wasn't the proposed solution to this problem was to add some sort of intermittent noise making device at low speeds, kind of like a reverse alarm. The only thing is though I'm not sure hybrid manufactures would like this. If I remember correctly Toyota advertised one of the advantages of their hybrid SUV's was it low level of noise when coming home late with a driver selectable all electric mode. That way one doesn't wake the neighbors, baby, spouse, dog, etc... I'd imagine then that this noise device would have to be driver selectable, other wise hybrid owners would quickly become a much despised segment of the public. That said, don't cars already come with a driver-selectable intermittent noise making device (DSINMD, aka. the horn)?

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Maybe make sub woofers mandatory? A couple of CDs of loud rap music and good to go :laughing:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the Prius have a horn? If I saw a pedestrian step into my path and didn't think I could stop in time, that's what I'd use.

Oh, wait - "CA lawmakers"... got it. :grin2:

o0o

Enlightened
Part of the appeal of a Prius (in addition to the gas milage) is that it is quiet and refined for a small car.

Make it noisy like a diesel, and it is less desirable.

IMO, this is another example of a silly law by the nanny state.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The CA bill is about the blind and near blind not hearing the very quiet Prius type cars. Now, I want to po po it too, but if I was blind I might have a different take here.

Bill

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the appeal of a Prius (in addition to the gas milage) is that it is quiet and refined for a small car.

Make it noisy like a diesel, and it is less desirable.

IMO, this is another example of a silly law by the nanny state.

A small diesel would probably result in even better fuel economy though.

It's funny though, Cars have horns. I guess it's assumed we're not responsible enough to use them. Thus we need some sort of machine to do it for us. That's why we hired Arnie:D*

*I'm just kidding. I actually like Arnie.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The Prius already has something to make noise if a blind pedestrian is in the way. It's called a horn. Totally retarded bill. They want to negate one of the great advantages of electric cars. And should a blind pedestrian be crossing the street unassisted anyway? The thought is frightening. Even if they hear the car, they might react by running in the wrong direction.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I don't think this is such a bad idea, as I don't know if sounding a horn is sufficient for the blind.

I'm guessing that the blind may use the continuous hum of an engine to provide them with valuable clues as to where a vehicle is coming from, how close it is, and maybe even approximate speed. If this is the case, sounding the horn might be more disorienting than helpful. And even if you sound the horn before approaching a blind pedestrian to warn them, do you honk again after you've passed, so that they know the way is clear?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for a 2010 PHEV, and I don't want no *&^%$# idiot noise box attached. Having a quiet car is part of the appeal. If I see a white cane standing in the crosswalk I'll tap the horn.