First post and first question!

rudejohn

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post ever, in any forum, so here goes. I have been lurking for a couple of months, visiting CPF several times a day. I am fascinated by the small size, brightness, runtimes, and ruggedness of LED flashlights. As a direct result of reading this forum I have already purchased a Nightcore NDI, a Dereelight CL1H V4, Pila IBC, AW batteries, and now a Surefire C2 with a FM34 Diffuser. This morning my new Malkoff M60 arrived. Man it is really nice! It ran for 1 hour and 3 minutes on pair of AW's, can't wait till dark! This is my first attempt at a light built to suit my personal needs and I would like to take it to another level by making it variable output. I have read about 3 options that I like, McC2S, UNIQ Continuously Variable Tailcap, from Lighthound, and the [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]TLS LED Drop-In and Multi-Function (Reverse) Tailcap Kit from Optics Hq (can't just buy the tailcap but I also get an extra drop-in). It has to be dependable, tough, and useful in many situations. I will be using it as part of the "Murphy's Law" kit that I carry in a saddlebag on my motorcycle. I would really like some experienced opinions. I believe this is the place to get them![/FONT]

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy rudejohn,
I can't answer your question, but I did want to welcome you to CPF. My goodness, you've been one busy lurker!!! Quite a nice collection of lights you've got there......... and now you are on to customization..... man, when the bug bites, it bites hard!

Enjoy your newfound obsession.......

IcantC

Enlightened
Not sure if this is of help, but keep a simple light in your bag? Leave a quality lithium battery in it so it does not leak or vent.

I usually almost always have my backpack on my bike and carry 3 lights :D. Never know when you might need them for emergencies or when you break down.

I want to carry one in the "trunk" of my bike. I have nothing yet that I leave there.

rudejohn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the welcome. I have had several incidents with battery leaks and the collateral damage can be quite annoying and costly. This time of day I am running in and out. I will be back later!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Can't get more dependable than a twisty, just some food for thought......

I would like a variable output malkoff too but I haven't see the tailcap to do it that can earn my money yet.

rudejohn

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the tailcap that came on the C2 a type of twisty? It does not click on, it just makes contact when you push it against the resistance of the spring then when you release the spring pushes back and brakes contact. If the spring somehow fails it would probably still make contact when you manually twisted it down, wouldn't it? I thought about this when I read about the McC2S. I have never personally seen one, but from what I have read here I think that they work by first making contact through the resistor and then straight through the body of the switch itself and the flashlight so that if the resistor failed it would still make contact physically by metal to metal contact when you tightened it but only on high. I am just trying to understand this with my half dozen or so surviving brain cells, so I could be way off.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The C2 switch is certainly a twisty.

Ya know I think you got it right about the McC2S. Emphasis on the think part.
Not bad for 6 brain cells! I'm willing to bet you have a shade more that that however. You managed to type the question after all, unless you used a very smart "helper monkey" or something. :rolleyes:

:welcome: You are off to an excellent start.