Looking for King of the Single Cr123 super throwers

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks

in your Opinion what has the best Throw for a single CR123

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the S27-PD. It replaced the SureFire M4 as the throw light in my backpacking/hiking kit. Not quite as bright or as good a thrower, but then the M4 weighs 3 times as much and uses 4 batteries that are drained in half the time.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me for asking.

Isn't a bit contradictory to ask for/or expect a small single cell light to be a super thrower?

I guess over the years I've just come to expect small EDC lights to have more flood than throw and if you want throw, you go to a bigger light with a bigger diameter reflector.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me for asking.

Isn't a bit contradictory to ask for/or expect a small single cell light to be a super thrower?

I guess over the years I've just come to expect small EDC lights to have more flood than throw and if you want throw, you go to a bigger light with a bigger diameter reflector.

You probably just haven't seen a Jetbeam Jet II IBS - I believe according the selfbuilt's review it is the best throwing CR123 based light. After being down on Jetbeam for a couple years I gave in to the sway of the statistics and tried one. It really does have a powerful throw and will really hold it's own against much bigger lights.
Spartanian looks like it might be a real strong contender too.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably just haven't seen a Jetbeam Jet II IBS - I believe according the selfbuilt's review it is the best throwing CR123 based light. After being down on Jetbeam for a couple years I gave in to the sway of the statistics and tried one. It really does have a powerful throw and will really hold it's own against much bigger lights.
Spartanian looks like it might be a real strong contender too.

How much better is it than the Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro IBS I have? Cause it's only so-so.

Betcha it's pathetic compared to my Surefire M6 thou....In the words of famous Aussie, now that's a thrower with plenty of flood

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt's numbers:

NiteCore Extreme: 5150 lux
Lumapower D-Mini (Q2): 6900 lux
Spartanian II: 7940 lux
JetBeam Jet II Pro: 8050 lux
JetBeam Jet II IBS: 9350 lux

Light-Reviews.com numbers:

NiteCore Extreme: 4920 lux
JetBeam Jet II Pro: 6470 lux
Spartanian II: 7690 lux
Lumapower D-Mini (Q5): 9880 lux
JetBeam Jet II IBS: 11030 lux

:thumbsup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starhalo's got it, except for one thing - both light-reviews.com and selfbuilt reviewed an early preproduction sample of the spartanian II. The actual light will put out around 11,000 lux at 1m, tied with the Jet-II IBS. And note that the Jet-II IBS is not being made any more (although stores still have stock) - it has been replaced with the Jet-II Pro, which does not throw as well.

Also, I don't know about mods / specialty lights. I'm sure milkyspit or another talented modder could cook up something to beat anything here, but, well, that's not in the same category.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Also, I don't know about mods / specialty lights. I'm sure milkyspit or another talented modder could cook up something to beat anything here, but, well, that's not in the same category.

Thank you for mentioning that, forgot to note it in my post - Milky's Creemator would almost certainly outscore all these lights, at least for a few minutes on a fresh cell. For only $275 :eek:oo:

Saranic

Newly Enlightened
Funny part is I have most of those lights and the jetbeam IBS and D-mini were the ones I was looking to beat....thanks for all the help.... and info