Single cell lights optimized for 14500?

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I recently picked up some AW protected 14500s for use in my D10, and I'm thinking I may want another flashlight that uses this power source. I'm leaning toward the Nitecore Defender Infinity. I'm also aware of the LiteFlux.

Are there others I should consider? When I say "optimized for 14500" I mean that all modes are retained, and the circuit and heatsinking are up to the task of handling 4.2 volts.

I'm happy to EDC with NiMH, but I'm looking for the perfect handheld for nightime running. The 1xAA form factor works well for me, and I'm thus hoping for something with maximum performance, particularly in the cold, hence the 14500. The D10 is close to ideal, but the little glitch of not knowing which way the ramp was last headed when at min or max is bothersome when I run. The piston drive is also a little awkward to operate in very cold weather, especially with gloves.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jack

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the LF5XT in you must have an AA light. You can set it up anyway you want with up to 5 modes of output. You won't have to worry about ramping, although it is capable of that in its set up mode. It has the smoothest beam of any AA Q5 light out there. The interface takes some time to learn but once you have your light set up the way you want, I doubt you will be changing it much. It has low battery protection with the 14500 built into the light, but I would still get only the AW protected cells, if I were you.

Another light you might want to consider, is the LF3XT. It runs on CR123 or R123 cells. It gives you two user selectable interfaces. One of the interfaces is almost identical to the LF5XT. You set up your 5 modes any way you want, using a very elaborate menu system to do so.
Or you can opperate it in a compact, simple interface mode, like you would the D10/EX10. In this mode you have instant highs and lows, and a single rampable user defined mode. Since it doesn't use the PD system, the ramping is less tricky to do even with gloves on. Moreover, the settable mode is retained even after doing a shortcut to high or low. All of this for about $60, less than the NiteCore Infinity or the LX5xt.