Recommendation for 18650 capable light? (Maybe with protection circuitry)

rrwood

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have a recommendation for an 18650 compatible flashlight?

I have a pile of 18650s I salvaged from old laptop batteries, which means they are unprotected cells. Obviously they are not as robust as new cells, but they still work well enough that I can make some use of them (and not care too much if they get hosed). I already have a charger.

Since the cells are unprotected, it would be preferable to find a light that includes some kind of protection circuitry.

Cost-wise, I'm looking for $50 or less. I'm in Canada, with whatever that means about shipping.

I'll be using this mostly for camping and odd applications around the house.

Recommendations and advice appreciated. You guys know way more about what's available and makes sense than I do....

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Dereelight CL1H with 3SD pill is a nice possibility, but it is a bit over budget.
Litemania Sgt. BURKETT is a lot cheaper (See our marketplace).

JetBeam also has 18650 lights and have a very advanced interface.

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Ultrafire WF-501B
Ultrafire WF-C2
Ultrafire 17W
Ultrafire WF-600
XTAR HS-800
XTAR HS-802
XTAR CREE MC-E
Spiderfire R8
Aurora CREE XR-E
Fenix TK11 (oeps... sorry :D)

Except for the Fenix they don't have protection circuitry but are cheap.

Last edited:

Ajay

Enlightened
rrwood, check out http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-Flashlights-cln-18650/Categories

I am on a similar quest as yourself. I have a bunch of laptop 18650 unprotected cells but I don't want to buy a new flashlight so I am looking for ways to modify my own to have a protection circuit. I am still working on it but that's another post:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2737218

I don't own any of the shiningbeam.com flashlights but they are the most affordable lights with protection circuit I have seen anywhere. There will be a compact 18650 light coming out from shingingbeam sometime by Feb. 2009. If you are interested in that see here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177921

Cheerio

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend spending maybe $20 more and getting a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. I got one and do not intend to give it up..... ever.

Nice runtimes, 1hr 45 minutes (+/-) on max @ 225 lumens before my battery protection circuit cuts in (but the light itself is regulated to unprotected cells will be fine).

Insanely low low mode i would guesstimate it at less than 10 lumens as my Fenix E01 is brighter than the Jet III's lowest output.

each of the 3 modes is individually programmable so you can fine tune your light to your required output vs runtime levels.

Waterproof not resistant, PROOF as i dunked it in a plastic mug of water to prevent overheating when doing the max runtime test.

You can order it from bugoutgear, not too sure about their shipping charges though as i got mine locally in singapore.

Read selfbuilt's awesome review here

Last edited:

Ajay

Enlightened
I'd recommend spending maybe $20 more and getting a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. I got one and do not intend to give it up..... ever.

:sick2:OMG I really want that Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST!! It looks so awesome and has all the features I want. Too bad I ain't got the bread for it. I really really want it but I will have to make do with a DIY EDC 18650 kit from DX soon.:sigh:

Kremer

Enlightened
I just harvested a bunch of 18650's myself, looking around I found the above posted information on the Jet III Pro ST having a discharge cutoff to save unprotected cells. I have not found anything to confirm this, everything I have found actually indicates it will operate down to .7v and suck them dry. Scratch that one off the list, because I really liked it as a possible upgrade from my L2D.

Ajay

Enlightened
I just harvested a bunch of 18650's myself, looking around I found the above posted information on the Jet III Pro ST having a discharge cutoff to save unprotected cells. I have not found anything to confirm this, everything I have found actually indicates it will operate down to .7v and suck them dry. Scratch that one off the list, because I really liked it as a possible upgrade from my L2D.

Yes I thought the Pro ST had a cutoff but now I am not sure. I emailed bugoutgear about it and I am waiting on a response.
:popcorn:
I think re-using laptop 18650s are the greatest thing since slice bread....why buy expensive AW batteries when I have great/free 18650s in laptop batteries. I really wish more torchlights had cutoff protection built in.

Last edited:

Ajay

Enlightened
Here is the response I got from [email protected] about the Jet III Pro ST.

Ajay,

No, there is not a cutoff. They are semi regulated on 18650's.

Thank you,
BugoutGearUSA.com

Well that settles it for me. No Pro ST in my future unless I get some free money.
I just ordered the Nitecore D10 as my "first" real torchlight:paypal:. Ultrafire and Romisen don't count.
I just can't stand the flickering of my UF C3...best to get a good EDC AA light and maybe a L-mini II as a backup when it's released. Just my thoughts.

325addict

Enlightened
Just take the Tiablo A9 Q5. It is very bright indeed with its 256 Lumen output, and has a cut-off at 2,75 Volts. Nothing to worry about using your unprotected cells. It may be a little above budget but trust me: you won't ever regret buying one!

Have fun!

Timmo.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
So I was just looking for information on this exact topic, and this thread came up in my search. Any update since this thread went cold? I have to believe that there are more options out there since February. I'm looking for a 600+ lumen thrower.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I was just looking for information on this exact topic, and this thread came up in my search. Any update since this thread went cold? I have to believe that there are more options out there since February. I'm looking for a 600+ lumen thrower.

Shiningbeam.com has three MG lights that have excellent regulation and overdischarge protection built in for 18650 cells: L-mini II, PLI, and RX-1. The cell protection has two stages. Stage 1 reduces the output of the light so that you still have some light and Stage 2 shuts the light off. The drain in Stage 1 is so low that you still have hours of light left before you're left completely in the dark.

The RX-1 is probably the one you'll be most interested in. It claims 700 lumens and has a reputation as an excellent thrower.

I originally bought the L-mini II because I had some unprotected laptop cells I wanted to use. I was so impressed with it that now I've got 3 MG lights: my original L-mini II with Q3 5C emitter, PLI with 7C MP-E emitter, and L-mini II with 7C MP-E emitter :D. If I ever decide I need a thrower, the RX-1 will be a likely candidate.

--flatline

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you go on extended night trips....there is little problem with using unprotected 18650's in a light without a protection circuit. I recharge my cells monthly if I use them or not. Li-ion cells like being topped off regularly. You actually have to try hard to kill a cell....

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
Unless you go on extended night trips....there is little problem with using unprotected 18650's in a light without a protection circuit. I recharge my cells monthly if I use them or not. Li-ion cells like being topped off regularly. You actually have to try hard to kill a cell....

Agreed. Even in the 18650 reviews some protection circuits don't even kick in!

Marcus88

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about flashlights but I am learning. I currently own a Fenix TK11 and I love it. You'd be happy with it. It keeps the charge really well and it is plenty bright. I used to work nights for 8-10 hour shifts so it came in handy and it never once died on me. I could use it for two nights without recharging it. But that's also using it only when I needed to which was a lot and every night.

I highly recommend the Fenix TK11 to anyone, you will be very satisfied.