Want a Fenix 1xAA twisty p1d?

Would you purchase a 1xAA body for the P1D?

• Total voters

youreacrab

Enlightened
Had a discussion with Neoseikan about his producing a 1xAA body for the Fenix P1D CE. He says an "AA tube for P1d is easy to produce. If enough P1d users want it, I can produce it for you all." I'm trying to gauge interest, so please vote YES if you would be interested in picking one of these up.

And the bigger question, is whether the input voltage could handle various AA-size battery voltages. Would appreciate feedback on this as well (i.e. eneloop, lithium, li-ion, etc.)

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Want a Fenix 1xAA twisty?

Even better, a P1 non-D powered by an AA. Finally a perfect choice for introducing non-flashaholics to our world..

youreacrab

Enlightened

anyone know what the input voltage is on the P1DCE? i just assume it will work since the P2D can take 1.2v input, but if anyone knows otherwise i'd love to hear it.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

anyone know what the input voltage is on the P1DCE? i just assume it will work since the P2D can take 1.2v input, but if anyone knows otherwise i'd love to hear it.

I just tried a P1D CE head with an Eneloop. It draws 2A at the battery, should work.

edit; I went and tried all three battery types. Here's what I got.

Eneloop M-1.28A, H-2.01A, L-.11A

lithium M-1.05A, H-2.25A, L-.09A

lithium-ion M-.66A, H-.71A, L-.66A

With the Eneloop the lumens my box showed are; M-64lm, H-80lm, L-9lm

Last edited:

youreacrab

Enlightened

wow, thanks nake that is very helpful information.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Forget all the modes, just give me a new Civictor. :D

I second that. Put in a Q2 or better emitter, with an OP reflector, and it would be great. Keep it around 70-80 lumens for some decent runtime.

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened

I just want a single stage light that runs for a very long time. I am not in on the lumens craze. Only if the two stage were to be a power miser would I get a two stage.
The whole thing for me is 10 to 15 or so lumens with many hours runtime.
Like an EO1 on steroids.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic

Just what Photon Joe sez !

+1

:twothumbs

_

youreacrab

Enlightened

thanks for your opinions on other great lights, but lets keep this thread on topic. we're interested in getting an AA-powered P1D. for better or worse, that alone is what we're dealing with in this thread.

JBorneu

Enlightened
I would go for it. Put an AA Li-ion in it and you've got a bombproof little screaming bright light.

Oh, and, I would prefer a spring in te back of the tube, not a "battery crusher", so it can take a fall without ruining the battery.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Don't want to go off topic but thought this might be worth noting. I don't have a light box, only a multi-meter. Here's the current draw test with 2 different types of batteries:

AA 1.2 volt Regular Nimh -> High: 1.30A Turbo: 1.30A Low: 0.1A
RCR123A 3.2 volt LiFepo4 -> High: 0.35A Turbo: 1.1A Low 0.05A

I couldn't really tell if Nimh high was the same light output as LiFepo4 high, etc. But the current draw for High and turbo are the same using Nimh, so was the light output. I did not get the 2.01A that Nake got using Eneloops. I seem to have lost my turbo mode with the Nimh.

Anyone else have the same results using Nimh with the P1D Q5 head?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Just for fun I tried to rig up a metering. I tested 2 cells, they had open circuit voltage of 1.279 and 1.289. I could only get them to deliver 270mA in Medium or High Mode. I'm charging them to see if they do better on full charge. I just have a inexpensive DMM so I'm not sure it it's internal resistance is low enough for accurate measurements, but it should be OK. I'm going to check it now with the CR123A to see what it says. After the AA batteries are charged I'll try them again.

A P1 would be nice with AA, but the P1D is easier to get a hold of and may be going on clearance soon, so an AA tube for the P1D makes more sense. Not to mention the multi-mode is useful. And Med as first is good fore single mode use.

P1D-Q5:

On CR123A: OCV=2.95V Med: 480mA, High: 1.1A, Low:48mA

On NiMH: OCV=1.39 Med: 0.98A, High: 0.9A

On Lithium: OCV: 1.82 Med=0.96A, High:1.1A (very jittery) (after very short test OCV was 1.56V)

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter Vf is going to influence the numbers. The 2A on high was with a P1D CE, a P4 emitter. With a P1D Q5 I get 1.75A. The circuit boards aren't all exactly the same, there will be variation there also.

There is no turbo mode on a P1D. Call the levels what Fenix does to avoid confusion, med, high, and low.

A P1 is not such a good idea. A Lux P1 that I have with a Seoul shows only .75A with an Eneloop. A P1 CE with an R2 shows .80A.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an Ultrafire C3 Q5 head for my Civictor.
This head works with 14500 Li-ons. I believe the P1D does not. The single mode P1 does.
CivictorUltrafirehead.jpg

Last edited:

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Didn't mean to confuse anyone with the different names of each modes.:oops:
Actually, I checked the Fenix site and the manual that came with my P1D Q5 and there is no modes called Turbo. Modes High or Medium don't exist either. According to Fenix, the correct mode names are:

Primary -> Max -> Low -> Strobe -> SOS

So using the correct Fenix convention for my previous post, I have

AA 1.2 volt Regular Nimh -> Primary: 1.30A Max: 1.30A Low: 0.1A
RCR123A 3.2 volt LiFepo4 -> Primary: 0.35A Max: 1.1A Low 0.05A

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be in for a 2 AA tube to have a reliable twisty that runs on 3V. It would become the best international backpacking light...

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't mean to confuse anyone with the different names of each modes.

:oops:I was wrong too. It's just that everytime I here turbo when talking about Fenix, I think of the LxD/P2D/P3D models. :)

Last edited: