Aeon vs. Raw

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Hi, looking at these two lights. Both use R2 and give estimated runtime at 100 lumens of 90 minutes. Just wondering how that could be when the CR2 that Aeon uses has about twice the capacity of the Raw 14250 battery.....I think that is correct. Is it that the Aeon has regulation and the Raw is direct drive. Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
Yes that's correct. The Aeon is fully regulated and will stay as bright as it started until the battery can no longer sustain it and the Raw is just a resistored DD.

HKJ

Flashaholic
but the same length, right? :grin2:

No the Aeon is a little bit longer:
DSC_1795a.JPG

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
The Aeon has stellar regulation on both levels (The Raw is non-regulated) and it is brighter than the Raw.

Brighter than the Raw? That can't be right... On high, the Aeon will run 90 minutes... The Raw: 20 minutes. I think they are rated at 114 lumens and 200 on high...

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hi, looking at these two lights. Both use R2 and give estimated runtime at 100 lumens of 90 minutes.

The output of the Raw with R2 on high is estimated at about 200 lumens, unless you go for lesser output with longer runtime.

Is that what you are referring to?

Just wondering how that could be when the CR2 that Aeon uses has about twice the capacity of the Raw 14250 battery.....I think that is correct. Is it that the Aeon has regulation and the Raw is direct drive. Thanks

I assume you are talking about a normal CR2 as opposed to a li-ion RCR2.

A normal CR2 has more charge capacity but it only has a starting voltage of 3V

An RCR2 on the other hand, like the 14250 li-ion has a starting voltage of 4.2V and there is not much difference in capacity between them.

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Well besides lower price what pushed me to getting Raw over Aeon was option of tritium. I have always wanted some more tritium ever since my tritium keyring broke. Also just ordered a Uzi watch with tritium.

XD9

Enlightened
I should be getting my Raw by this Wensday. Is going to be a gift for my wife :p

HKJ

Flashaholic
Did both lights uses the R2 with this Beamhots?

It looks likt not, as the R2 has a neutral white...or?:candle:

The raw is Q5 led and the Aeon is probably also a Q5.

One thing I noticed looking at the lights: the reflectors look very much alike.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hang on, does CR2 fit in the Raw?? Correct me if i am wrong but CR2s dont fit in a the Raw NS right?