New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this on Gene's site as of yesterday - looks like a line of complete Malkoff flashlights is in the works and coming soon!

The first one listed on the site is the Malkoff MD2 with a sweeeeet price of $39. No specs are listed but I have a feeling this is going to be another Malkoff home run.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=55

Go Gene and Cathy!

Looks like one tank of a light - anyone here anything about this? :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Maybe we can beg for a CPF edition... :naughty: :D

EDIT: Per the Malkoff's permission (thank you Gene!), here are the pictures from the website for your viewing pleasure:

MalkoffMD2-1.jpg

MalkoffMD2-2.jpg

MalkoffMD2-3.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
Bullfrog... I stacked those photos vertically (I put a line break between each one) to avoid the need for horizontal scrolling.

However, I also noticed you have hotlinked them from the Malkoff website. I'll leave them up here for a short time, but please get permission to host them properly, or they will soon be gone.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullfrog... I stacked those photos vertically (I put a line break between each one) to avoid the need for horizontal scrolling.

However, I also noticed you have hotlinked them from the Malkoff website. I'll leave them up here for a short time, but please get permission to host them properly, or they will soon be gone.

Hi DM51 - thank you very much.

In my excitement I didnt even think about that!

Pictures have been taken down and I'll shoot Gene an email for permission.

Thanks!

EDIT: Received an email back from Gene with permission to post the pictures.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
Wow, this is going to be interesting, especially considering the price point! :eek: That optic or reflector looks small in that head, but I took a look at my 6P/M60 and if the plastic edges around the TIR were covered up, it would be about the same, I think.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern is that he is selling this entire flashlight for quite a bit less than he was selling his drop in's for. I'm assuming that this means that this flashlight doesn't use the same drop in, or it would be more expensive than $39.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
For that prce and on the reputation of Gene I have no concerns what so ever!
I couldn't give 2 craps about the specs, I wll be buying one whatever they are!

:twothumbs

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got off the phone with Gene and he said it is for the hosts only. The specs on it will be up by today. In spite of the optic being covered up quite a bit, he said it didn't change/compromise the light emitted from the M60. It is P60 compatible too...

The biggest plus is that he confirmed it will be 18650 compatible and forward clickie is built into the body.:twothumbs

They will be a limited run of 100 and I got my paypal trigger finger ready!!!!!!!

Gene said he is working on single "C" cell P60 hosts for later this year and AA P60 hosts. I can't wait for those single "C" P60 hosts.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to add one more thing. The Malkoff MD2 will have a 2 piece bezel and not require a lens. So, no need for AR coated lens. This is why the bezel end looks so different.

I guess this allow a couple more lumens out the front. He said the way he designed it there is no need for lens to be water tight, but you could still drop in your own if you wanted to.

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
Hmm, very interesting. This could set off another wave of P60 drop-in mania. I better go freeze all my credit cards in huge blocks of ice now so I can't spend any more!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only concern is that he is selling this entire flashlight for quite a bit less than he was selling his drop in's for. I'm assuming that this means that this flashlight doesn't use the same drop in, or it would be more expensive than $39.

It's a host, only. No drop-in is included with the light, hence the lower pricepoint.

-dan

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Will a standard surefire bezel fit?

I need the anti-roll feature. I am rough with my lights, so a protective glass lens would be needed (for me).

If its SF-bezel compatible, HOT DAWG!! I'm getting one

:thumbsup: to Gene

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A limited run of 100? They'll be out of stock within 1 hour.

Gene said they should be available for purchase on his website on Friday. So I can expect this much lumen output with 2 rechargeable CR123 3.7v cells.

Malkoff M60_______________231-220________________2 primaries___________Surefire 6P host____________,
Malkoff M60_______________276_turn on peak________2X17500 LI___________NO BEZEL Solarforce L2 +1 ext.__,

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
More info is up:

"This is the Malkoff MD2 Flashlight. It is made of 6061 T6 Structural Aircraft Grade Aluminium. The switch is a Judco forward clickie. The body is O-Ringed and Gasketed for weather-tightness. Type II Black Anodizing is utilized on the interior and exterior. It is sized for two CR123 or one 18650 cell(s).

The head does not include a lens. As no light blocking lens is needed. It was specially designed for M60 Dropins. The optic will serve as the lens. The M60 is held securely in the head (against the sealing gasket) with a threaded retaining ring. A 1 inch lens can be added by the end user if desired.

Each body is laser engraved with the Model Number, Serial Number, and Made in USA logo."

I'm betting he will sell drop in lenses - probably the honey-comb diffused and maybe colors...

edc3

Enlightened
Very interesting. Very elegant, simple design.

I wonder how scratch resistant the plastic of the optic is. Even recessed in the bezel, you'd think it could still be scratched.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are specifically designed for his dropins. I guess that alleviates many people from trying to find a host.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just hit me that if you have the M30 and run a 18650 cell fully charged at 4.2v with no lens it would be very impressive.

I was hoping and thinking it could hit the 300 lumen out the front mark. Is this possible??????:candle:
After all the M30 pulls more amps than the M60 on 2 cells right? Now the Lumen thread has me confussed.

Malkoff M30_______________237___________________1X18650LI_ __________NO BEZEL L2 Host_____________,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.