Is there a link that shows howto change out emitters?

STi

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I would like to attempt swaping out emitters and looking for instructions on howto...I see the wires that must be soldered but how do i get the emitter off the pcb?

Marduke

Flashaholic
It depends on the light. Most lights have the emitter on what's called a "star", and you replace the entire unit. Some lights the emitter is glued directly onto a heatsink with no star, often due to limited size or to maximize heat dissipation.

In general you need basic soldering skills, and thermal paste and/or thermal epoxy.

STi

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the light. Most lights have the emitter on what's called a "star", and you replace the entire unit. Some lights the emitter is glued directly onto a heatsink with no star, often due to limited size or to maximize heat dissipation.

In general you need basic soldering skills, and thermal paste and/or thermal epoxy.

I have all the above and the light is a C2H that has a pill...So basicly that are glued in place then you just solder the wires?..How does one remove the glue?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better check for the Star (if not sure, give us a Pic).

For starting it is much easier to swap when the led is mounted on a star.
See a how-to here:

atdpv3if89jkrjn1w.jpg

"new" seoul left, cheapo original right.
1st pic defocused, 2nd with reflector in focus

PS, but that might be just my personal opinion:
if the led - mounted without Star - is of an actual kind (means: no old Luxeon, no cheap whatever-copy) but just an "old" bin, the possible gains do not cover the possible dangers. imho the outcome will, in most of the mods, be worse than the original setup. Effort does not cover outcome.

STi

Newly Enlightened
It has an R2 emitter that has a couple of tiny scratches...I'm going to put this one in my A1 and put a new R2 in my C2H...I will take pics of the pill/emitter after dinner.

Better check for the Star (if not sure, give us a Pic).

For starting it is much easier to swap when the led is mounted on a star.
See a how-to here:

atdpv3if89jkrjn1w.jpg

"new" seoul left, cheapo original right.
1st pic defocused, 2nd with reflector in focus

PS, but that might be just my personal opinion:
if the led - mounted without Star - is of an actual kind (means: no old Luxeon, no cheap whatever-copy) but just an "old" bin, the possible gains do not cover the possible dangers. imho the outcome will, in most of the mods, be worse than the original setup. Effort does not cover outcome.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You sure the emitter just doesn't have a fingerprint on it? Seems rather unlikely the dome itself is scratched. Even so, the effect would be negligible.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm :thinking:
just checked what "C2H" means, thats a Dereelight, right?

Features a Q5 emitter already and will for sure be directly placed.
Forget it, the outcome will be worse and the chance something goes wrong is very high

btw: what and why do You want to win by swapping?
And with what led?
(why excatly this one?)
There is not even a real chance to really improve a Q5 (enough to gain something)

[edit]
while checking search and typing, You mentionned the led.
Already a R2, but those scratches ... difficult.
Are there imperfections in the beam?

I dont have such a light and am used to work with few space when modding,
but would not dare to start with such a small light
[/edit]

Last edited:

STi

Newly Enlightened
There is infact scratches..i have wiped it with a microfiber and they are clear as day!

I have an Artifact in the beam profile and dunno if it's the little peel on reflector or Emitter so i'm replacing both. This is a brand new light and just aggravated with the flaws..it even had 2 touchup marks near the clicky.

You can see a pic of the beam in this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225754

hmmm :thinking:
just checked what "C2H" means, thats a Dereelight, right?

Features a Q5 emitter already and will for sure be directly placed.
Forget it, the outcome will be worse and the chance something goes wrong is very high

btw: what and why do You want to win by swapping?
And with what led?
(why excatly this one?)
There is not even a real chance to really improve a Q5 (enough to gain something)

[edit]
while checking search and typing, You mentionned the led.
Already a R2, but those scratches ... difficult.
Are there imperfections in the beam?

I dont have such a light and am used to work with few space when modding,
but would not dare to start with such a small light
[/edit]

Last edited:

STi

Newly Enlightened
Why not just RMA it if it bothers you that much? Lot simplier, and more effective.

I suppose i could but the turnaround would take 4ever...It's either fix or ebay it so i was just gonna try and fix it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Did you contact them and ask for an estimate of how long it will take?

If you sell it, sell it in the Marketplace. More people who know more about lights will see it.

Also why didn't you post a pic of the light instead of the beam (well, if your reason was tha lack of a camera, that's understandable)? A light with a smooth looking but crapply designed reflector will have a worse beam pattern then a well designed buit slightly damaged reflector. And if you post a picture of the light itself we can see how much a problem it is and Dereelight can also improve their quality (they swing around here sometimes).

STi

Newly Enlightened
The front of the light is also posted in that thread.

Did you contact them and ask for an estimate of how long it will take?

If you sell it, sell it in the Marketplace. More people who know more about lights will see it.

Also why didn't you post a pic of the light instead of the beam (well, if your reason was tha lack of a camera, that's understandable)? A light with a smooth looking but crapply designed reflector will have a worse beam pattern then a well designed buit slightly damaged reflector. And if you post a picture of the light itself we can see how much a problem it is and Dereelight can also improve their quality (they swing around here sometimes).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I clicked every link in that thread and all I see is a beamshot (a picture of what the beam coming out the front of the light), not a shot of the LED + reflector themselves (the things that create the light and the beam pattern you see).

Maybe you posted the wrong link?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AH HA, Now I see. I guess something wasn't working right.

Sorry STi. I apologize for assuming.

Judging by the size of the light, it either uses a bare LED attached to the heatsink, or a small round "star". Is the LED sitting on something like this? If yes, look for another round "star". If not, then it's probably a bare LED.