Aspherical lens in Solarforce L2

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok , I will update this with beam shots etc ASAP , High noon ATM .

Light output @ 1 meter .

Stock with 18650 Trustfire = 7000Lux
Aspherical Lens = 19,000Lux , might give some throw now .

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to use an aspherical lens, it freaks me out, looks like Sauron looking back at me. :aaa:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ultrafire 502B R2 Above

Solarforce L2 with aspherical lens . I just could not get a good picture , I took a lot of pictures and the one bellow was the best of the lot , It does throw further , but the picture just does not show it .

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
To get rid of the rings, you can try blacking out the reflector (helps a little bit) or take a small round object, place it in the center of the flat part of the lens, and use some black water based paint to black out everything but where the die would show through the lens. You'll lose all the spill, but thats kind of the point of an aspheric. I have done this on my aspheric mags and it makes for a much less distracting beam profile :)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to see if I can find a smooth reflector , this lens also fits the Ultrafire 502B and is a better focus as well in the 502 ...

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened

Ultrafire 502B R2 Above

Solarforce L2 with aspherical lens . I just could not get a good picture , I took a lot of pictures and the one bellow was the best of the lot , It does throw further , but the picture just does not show it .

Thanks for the pics, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im going to see if I can find a smooth reflector , this lens also fits the Ultrafire 502B and is a better focus as well in the 502 ...
A smooth reflector is not going to help. The only thing that will help is to black-out the reflector or put a diffuser film behind the aspheric.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep , thank you for the tip , blacking out the reflector did the trick , 90% of the funky gone ! And the lens also fits the Ultrafire 502B , and is a much better focus as well ...
lovecpf

Nameless Ranger

Newly Enlightened
I don't see how you can adjust the focus, since the drop-in is pressed
against the head with the contact springs. A collar threaded for the pill that
uses set screws to hold itself to the body would make the lens much more useful. Otherwise, o-rings or other spacers could be used to set a fixed focus.

I have a couple of these lenses, and would love a long throw, but the SMO reflector from the diy drop-in at DX is my best solution so far.

I haven't tried a G&P deep SMO - it's hard for me to pay $40 for a chinese drop-in.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
How do you guys get this thing to focus at all on the L2. I have tried it and I can't get it to focus. In order to focus the beam I need to leave some space between the bezel and the lens but the bezel is just not long enough

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different flashlight = different focus .

I have several P60 style hosts to chose from .

Solarforce L2 , Ultrafire WF-502B and WF-501B

The focus is much better in the 502B , other than that . No attempt to focus . Also I tried the Lens with my Mini MC-E , whoa ! , now thats a thrower .

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if you can help. I'm trying to make up an order with some spare lenses for my L2's, and I'm not sure of the exact diametre. The nearest ones I can see are 27mm, would these fit or are they a bit small? Cheers.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
old4570,
Those rings are captivating...Can you get a shot from ~45 degrees off the beam axis? what does an observer see when you use that light?
I'm wanting to recreate the same effect myself...

(yeah, may get tired of novelty after a few moments, or it may be a useful photographic effect)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
old4570,
Those rings are captivating...Can you get a shot from ~45 degrees off the beam axis? what does an observer see when you use that light?
I'm wanting to recreate the same effect myself...

(yeah, may get tired of novelty after a few moments, or it may be a useful photographic effect)

Will see what I can do tonight ,,,