N00b Looking for Flashlight Suggestions

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and definitely a n00bish one, so I'm sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum.

Basically, I have a 3 D-cell Maglite and a pair of 2 AA-cell Mini mags. Although they've served me well for a while, I want to use my upcoming camping trip to Yosemite as an excuse to get something better. I leave next Friday, so (shipping) time is sort of an issue :)

I found a lot of high output CREE flashlights on eBay, but they all require CR123 batteries and charges.. plus most of them are in Hong Kong, so I doubt it'll arrive in time.

My budget is not too high, it's $50-70 at the present time.

The SureFire G2 is definitely a looker and I'm leaning towards that, but I am also seduced by all the "high output ratings" of those eBay knock offs.

Again, sorry this is such a noob post but since time of sort of critical I figured I would ask the experts instead of spending multiple days doing my homework.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you have a Target, Walmart, or Lowes around, I'd suggest looking there. They have some lights with the Cree XR-E LEDs. and many of them run off of normal batteries. There should be a few members who will post the good lights at the above stores.

I would usually point people who have maglites to this thread, but shipping won't get to you in time.

:welcome:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Just go to 4sevens.com and peruse the wide selection. Fenix and Nitecore are popular around here. I wouldn't buy any no name e-bay lights because they tend to exagerate their specs plus they would not be reliable in the long run. David stands behind what he sells as well. Have fun on your trip!

Toaster

Enlightened
It would probably help if you told us where you live... ;)

Anyhow, with that budget get either a good headlamp or a good flashlight. I'd recommend either (or both) of the below:

Fenix TK20 - Use code CPF8 for 8% discount
Zebralight H501W - use code june10 for 10% off your order

Between the two, you'd probably want to get the headlamp first. It's all around more useful on a camping trip.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're concerned about an order not arriving in time, just pick up one of the new MiniMag LEDs from your local Home Depot or wherever you get you Maglites. It not a bad light, it's cheap and it's readily available.

You can distinguish the newer MiniMag LED from the old by the color of the packaging - the new model looks like this, and the old model to avoid looks like this.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you didn't know, the surefire G2 uses CR123 batteries as well. You should look at the Eagletac P100A2. It uses 2 AA batteries, has 2 modes, and is relatively bright. Best of all, it is only $43.

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Target, Walmart, or Lowes around, I'd suggest looking there. They have some lights with the Cree XR-E LEDs. and many of them run off of normal batteries. There should be a few members who will post the good lights at the above stores.

I would usually point people who have maglites to this thread, but shipping won't get to you in time.

Thanks for the info and kind welcome everyone!

There are quite a few of those stores in the vicinity, so I might stop by there and see what they have.

I like quite a few of those Maglite D-Cell mods, they look like they have good output and the components should be reliable (I'd hope). I have a fairly strong hobby electronics background so dealing with drivers and current limiters is a piece of cake.

I'm in San Francisco, CA... so the goal is to of course find a local US retailer that can ship using USPS Priority (2-3 days).

I'm still extremely confused about what I should go for. I may go to REI to see how the Surefire G2 fairs and then see if I can compare things by using it as a base-line.

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
In case you didn't know, the surefire G2 uses CR123 batteries as well. You should look at the Eagletac P100A2. It uses 2 AA batteries, has 2 modes, and is relatively bright. Best of all, it is only $43.

The more I'm reading into it, I have no problems with using CR123 batteries (as long as I can get a fairly inexpensive charger).

I do have 16 Eneloop AA 2000mAh batteries and two chargers, so maybe there is a flashlight I can get to make use of those batteries?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 for the P100C2, on the other hand you might wanna check out the Eagletac T100C2. The T100C2 uses either Cr123's or 1x18650 rechargeable. You can get one for under $50 and also get a 18650 battery and charger for $25 to $30. Use the search function and check for reviews and runtimes. The T100C2 has lots of throw and good flood. The T100 and P100 seem to be the best bang for buck right now.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
If you are pressed for time to get a new light for your trip, I would also recommend going to your local Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc to pick up a light. You could go with a Mini-Mag LED 2aa or 3aa with decent output, and then pick up a headlamp as well while you are at it and you would be at your budget. This way, if you decide that you want an even more powerful light after the trip, you could easily return these lights to the store if you are not satisfied with them and then order the light of your choice.

Coleman Cree XLamp XR-E LED Headlamp, 3 "AAA" $24.88

Mini MagLite LED 3-Cell AA Flashlight, Black $25.68

These are both stocked at my local Walmart and I own them both myself. If you were looking for a more powerful flashlight you could pick up the Dorcy - 220 Lumen CREE XRE LED Rechargeable Flashlight For around $50 (they stock them at my local sears). Although this light is a mostly Thrower, so it might not be the best light for the outdoors if you need more flood/illumination in front of you. There are many other quality lights to choose from in that price range, it just depends on what your preference is.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Specifying a size category would help. You'll probably get the best output and runtime for its size in a 2xCR123A flashlight, so it's good you don't have a problem with that. The Surefire G2 is a solid flashlight, but you can get flashlights that are much brighter and longer lasting. I would recommend the EagleTac P100C2 because of its output, efficiency, size, and price.

P100C2 review: http://www.light-reviews.com/eagletac_p100c2/
Surefire 6PD (G2 with a different body) review: http://www.light-reviews.com/surefire_6pd/

PM forum member Mike@PTS for a discount here: http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-153-6607

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
The more I'm reading into it, I have no problems with using CR123 batteries (as long as I can get a fairly inexpensive charger).

I do have 16 Eneloop AA 2000mAh batteries and two chargers, so maybe there is a flashlight I can get to make use of those batteries?

If I was sitting on 16 good Eneloops & a couple of chargers, I'd definitely consider some of these very good lights:

Fenix LD20

EagleTac P10A2

EagleTac P100A2

7777 Quark AA^2 (This is a new light that should be available tomorrow according to 7777.)

With your battery inventory, and available $$$, you have LOTS of great options. Put those Eneloops to work, and don't look back (you'll be glad you did). Free lumens are always the best lumens. Don't look past Olight or Nitecore either.

Let us know what you decide! And don't forget about the CPF member discounts available from the CPF dealers :thumbsup:.

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
If I was sitting on 16 good Eneloops & a couple of chargers, I'd definitely consider some of these very good lights:

Fenix LD20

EagleTac P10A2

EagleTac P100A2

7777 Quark AA^2 (This is a new light that should be available tomorrow according to 7777.)

With your battery inventory, and available $$$, you have LOTS of great options. Put those Eneloops to work, and don't look back (you'll be glad you did). Free lumens are always the best lumens. Don't look past Olight or Nitecore either.

Let us know what you decide! And don't forget about the CPF member discounts available from the CPF dealers :thumbsup:.

You guys are awesome and have amazingly detailed replies, thank you all.

I am liking that one Walmart light for $50. But now that I see some options for 1.5V batteries, I may indeed put those Eneloops to use (I have 8 that are inside two off-camera flashes I use, so 8 are free for the using.. plus they are cheap at Costco).

I'm learning a lot in a very short period of time from you guys... can't wait until I start buying more torches!

As far as timing, my Yosemite trip is on the last weekend of the month, so I actually have a bit over 2 weeks (17 days). I think I may have time to order stuff online.

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If size is no matter, you can never go wrong with a 3D Maglite LED or a Husky 2D. Both use D cell batteries but they are pretty much a bang for your buck. You can pick them up at your local Home Depot, and Maglites are pretty much everywhere. The husky was $17.99 last time i checked at the Home Depot near me, and the Maglite was around the $30-$33 dollar range. The Husky is a 4 watt light and out throws the Maglite (3 watt), but obviously you know the Maglite is a little better made, and the beam pattern has less halos. But for $17.99, the husky is a diamond in the rough, and will save you alot of cash especially if you are planning to buy a light for other people in your trip. Not to mention, these lights can also be used as a weapon, just incase... you never know!

It really depends on what your main purpose on purchasing the light is as well. Some people like throwers, some like flood, and some just want a reliable EDC light. A few general purpose lights would be : Nitecore D10 R2 (1xAA Battery), Fenix L2D Q5 (2xAA Batteries), or Fenix P3D Q5 (2xCR123A Batteries).

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great and safe trip! Let us know the verdict! :wave:

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

So I'm slowly starting to narrow it down. Who knew there were so many options to choose from. I hope that once I get a light and have a good base-line, I will be able to figure out what other lights I want in the future.

I am narrowing it down between these:

EagleTac P100A2

Fenix LD20 Black

Dorcy 220lm

Although the first two are probably more in my favor (compact, powerful, uses batteries I already have).

lovecpf

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
Ugh, the lighting bug has bit me again. Given my fascination with HID lights (I retail OEM HID headlights and parts as a side business... have about 40 ballasts and over 300 bulbs in my garage), I am looking into tactical HID flashlights too. The cheapest 24W ones I've found are $150ish. Oh boy, now I have to look around some more.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ugh, the lighting bug has bit me again. Given my fascination with HID lights (I retail OEM HID headlights and parts as a side business... have about 40 ballasts and over 300 bulbs in my garage), I am looking into tactical HID flashlights too. The cheapest 24W ones I've found are $150ish. Oh boy, now I have to look around some more.
your in for a few sleepless nights and lots of research if you just bumped the budget up to 150 bucks.

LiquidKernel

Newly Enlightened
your in for a few sleepless nights and lots of research if you just bumped the budget up to 150 bucks.

I haven't bumped it up to that amount just yet, I'm still leaning for the EagleTac for $50 which seems to be just the light I want. But I want more lumens.. more!! LOL. Plus, like I said, because of my fascination with HID lights.. I may want one of those.

pmoore

Newly Enlightened
I had a Dorcy 220 Lms for a while. I loved that thrower....till it grew legs