Triple-30 Bike Light, 7,790 Lux

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Triple-30.1.jpg

Three LXHL-MW1D 1 Watt Lambertian Luxeon Stars, three 30mm collimators, dirct drive from 3 D cells, 5,190 lux. Should last 8 hours at full or near full brightness. Beam is a single hot ball of white fire! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

This crude creation will go on my dual suspension mountain bike, next to my other Triple 1W bike light.

Wayne

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Triple-30

nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i really like the idea of using the plexiglass(?) to hold the optics agains the luxeons! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is VERY nice Wayne! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Is this a one-time deal or are you planning on refining the design and producing it? I plan on buying a mountain bike sometime in the future and i would like a nice light to mount on my bike....like that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I have found that the Arc LSH-P would be adequet (i don't have a bike yet) for night rides...but i wish i had something a little bit brighter with a longer runtime. I could always buy one of those nice Nightrider or Cateye 10 or 20W models but 1) they are usually very expensive or 2) hard to carry around or lock-down when you leave your bike somewhere. Also, the unique, HID-like, color from LEDs would set a biker apart from normal traffic lights and get the attention of drivers.

Wayne, i like your work! 3LSs and 8 hours of full brightness is very nice! Good job!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
That is VERY nice Wayne! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Is this a one-time deal or are you planning on refining the design and producing it? I plan on buying a mountain bike sometime in the future and i would like a nice light to mount on my bike....like that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I have found that the Arc LSH-P would be adequet (i don't have a bike yet) for night rides...but i wish i had something a little bit brighter with a longer runtime. I could always buy one of those nice Nightrider or Cateye 10 or 20W models but 1) they are usually very expensive or 2) hard to carry around or lock-down when you leave your bike somewhere. Also, the unique, HID-like, color from LEDs would set a biker apart from normal traffic lights and get the attention of drivers.

Wayne, i like your work! 3LSs and 8 hours of full brightness is very nice! Good job!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to see how bright 3 1 watts would be using the 30mm optics. It pulls 1.5 amps, but that is the limit of the D cells. When I hooked it up to my bench power supply at 4.5 volts, it pulled a whopping 4.5 amps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif The limit in brightness is due to the limit of the batteries, so I'm thinking of trying lithiums, and also of trying two sets of D cells. I'd like to get the current up to 2.1 amps, or 700mA each emitter. You just cannot believe how awesome the beam is. Very narrow and focused and intense. I don't know about producing something like this or not?

Wayne

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,
Nice setup! For night riding on my recumbent bicycle, I use your 5w Cyan 5D Mag with your incredible 30mm optics. A BB400 Q3 in a Brinkmann sits on my helmet so I can look at drivers to my sides so they can see me. An 18-LED red flasher completes the effect, I sort of look like a Christmas tree but it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
Three Luxeons with 30mm optics running off of 3D batterys. Make it with a detachable power cable so a person can put the battery holder in their jacket to keep the batteries warm in the winter, that would be a great light! If you make it, they will come.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I finally put this light onto my dual suspension mountain bike. I decided to use 4 D cell nimh batteries (4,500mAh), and a .5 ohm 5W resistor. I measure 7,790 lux at 1 meter. I figure it is about 9.6 watts, more or less. Probably equivalent to a 10 watt halogen light. You should see it on my bike, looks amazing. I'll post photos of it on my bike later. I added a aluminum piece on the top to keep the light from coming back into my eyes. I'll probably enclose it completely. I added a switch inline. The D cells fit into a 4D holder inside the same bag I used for the 8AA holder. I'll put the other light I had back on later, so I'll have a backup (not sure I'd need one). The other light is a broader beam.

I figure with 18 amp hours, I should easily be able to go 8 hours at full brightness, probably 15 or 16 hours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wayne

Otokoyama

Enlightened

I've been thinking about putting three 30mm optics into a configuration such as:
Tri30mm.gif

This would fit into something just slightly larger than a Mag head. I'd cut the edges off the optics mainly to save a small amount of space. I'm guessing the fairly small amount lost in the collimated beam would find its way out as spill.

What do you think?

jtice

Flashaholic

I think me likes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That should make a ral nice beam. Being that close together, they should fade into each other well. NS being THAT bright, it has to have some good spill.

I might try something wild like that,,, aftter my 5W project. But im not sure about what can handle what.

Im always afraid to fry something. :O

Hmmm besides,, doesnt it take 4 1W's to equal one 5W?
Would there be an advantage to using 4 1W's instead of 1 5W?

P.S. cant wait to see that thing on your bike!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm besides,, doesnt it take 4 1W's to equal one 5W?
Would there be an advantage to using 4 1W's instead of 1 5W?

------------------------

Don't know if there's any real advantage, per se, electronically. But each does have their own useful beams...

Elektrolumen's QuadLux and Blaster VI...
fbfc1005.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neato. Those are really over driven then? getting like 3 watts each?? I've always wondered how a trianglular setup of 30mm's would do. Who's gonna be the first to make a triangular gun like in MIB with 3 30mm's and 5W stars?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
EDIT: beamshots?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I took my Triple-30 equipped bike out for a ride last night. It lights up the road like a car headlamp. I can see plenty far ahead. Someone driving by pulled me over to ask me what kind of light I had. They said I looked like a motorcycle going down the road.

I think this has definate possiblilites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like this settup over a 5 watt LS for a couple of reasons. One is the life expectancey of the 1 watt is 100,000 hours. Another is that the beam is very narrow and concentrated, more than a 5W can be with optics. I also like the idea of using 4 D cell rechargables. They have a good even rate of discharge, and last a long time, and are easy to recharge. I could even see carrying an extra set of batteries, either 4 AA or whatever, just in case I get out there and have batteries I forgot to recharge.

As far as the beam goes, it really throws a long way. It is brighter than a single 5W.

Wayne

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,
Are these going to be available eventually? Not a high priority that it gets dark later but it would be a great thing to have for the fall. It would be awesome if it was equipped with R or S ranked LS and driven at 500mA or so each. Time to save up my nickles.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

otok..you might be interested in this

wayne..you might find this usefull also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Neato. Those are really over driven then? getting like 3 watts each?? I've always wondered how a trianglular setup of 30mm's would do. Who's gonna be the first to make a triangular gun like in MIB with 3 30mm's and 5W stars?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
EDIT: beamshots?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean beamshots of the QuadLux and Blaster VI???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

woodbender

Newly Enlightened

Roth...I see you linked my thread, but I'll put the picture here also. I see great possibilities with this setup.

Wayne...Do you happen to have one of these? I know you have some fraen optics coming, but I assume they are singles vs. what is shown in the picture.
fraen.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Choua - I was refereing to the triple 30 bike light. Thanks for the attention though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LEDagent said:
...I have found that the Arc LSH-P would be adequet... or night rides...but i wish i had something a little bit brighter with a longer runtime.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LEDagent,

I recently got about 5hrs regulated from my LSH-P on 2xAA lithiums. Aside from brightness, do you find beam width adequate?

Brightnorm

Otokoyama

Enlightened

Rothrandir: Thanks. I've got a set of Fraen optics for HD and can't get clean beams out of them with 1W emitters, but it does suggest that maybe butting the optics together doesn't diminish the beam much. My current thinking is that I can get an overall better beam from a reflector, especially with the McGizmo technique of harnessing the spill through refraction. Hopefully I'll be turning my first reflector tomorrow!