700 Lumens from 2 CR123's???

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is it even possible for more than a few minutes?

Does anybody make such a flashlight besides MG PLI Cree MC-E 700 Lumens Compact LED Flashlight ?

Heck, I'd "settle" for 400+ lumens! LOL

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anybody make such a flashlight besides MG PLI Cree MC-E 700 Lumens Compact LED Flashlight ?

The closest I have seen is a P60 P7 drop-in in a Surefire 6P hosts. The P7 was direct drive and with 2 primaries it did 456 out the front in MrGman's sphere. Also, the regulated MC-E from Malkoff almost got close to 500 out the front lumens. IMHO, 2 cells will eventually get over 500 lumens, but I have only seen Mag P7 or LED ZEP/Malkoff Multi-Q5's do 600 plus out the front. Only the physically huge lights that have been tested have made 700~1700 out the front. I would love to see a small 2 cr123 light hit 500 out the front.

The current was over 3A at the tail. We then put it in a fivemega 3C hosts with UCL lens and 3 C NiMH cells got this:
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___547.7______3 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___459.8_____30 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___441.1_____60 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___422.4____120 sec_______,
Nailbender P7_D26 Mod__,__Fivemega 3C_________3 C Tenergy,___409.3____180 sec_______,

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The answer is already out there. You really don't like searching even the front page threads for answers do you. Any one ever tell you your high maintenance! :nana:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much current can be safely pulled from 123 batteries?

If you use a IMR 16340 (cr123 size) you can go as high as 4.5A, but the cell will sag more as you approach it's max. Plus at 2A or 3A, you are going to have a bright 5 minute runtime.:sick2:

If the cr123 is not an IMR I would keep the current under 1.5A, but closer to 1A.

EDit: This past weekend MrGman tested a 1.4A R2 Trustfire light for me. With a topped off Trustfire 18650 cell the lumens were less than 100. Then I put an IMR 18650 and he tested it at slightly over 200 out the front lumens.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The answer is already out there. You really don't like searching even the front page threads for answers do you. Any one ever tell you your high maintenance! :nana:

Yes, often.

"Wolf Eyes does not recommend using CR123A batteries as a primary use battery due to the high power requirements needed to drive this flashlight. "</SPAN></SPAN>

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm really interested in the wolf-eyes explorer it's a 1* 18650 light

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/233676

The wolf-eyes does look good and more accurately adverstising the lumens. If the heatsink is good then it should be close to 500 out the front, but if not then you will have sub 400 out the front lumens.

The P7 or MC-E lights need a a really well thought out heatsink and some IMR 18650's to get them past 500 out the front. Take away one of them and the light output suffers. Granted, you also need adequate current: but too much can negate its benefits too.

If the current on the wolfyes P7 light is 3A~4A at the tail 2 primaries will be fine. The primaries with 3A+ current will sag significantly.

2jzpower

Newly Enlightened
The wolf-eyes does look good and more accurately adverstising the lumens. If the heatsink is good then it should be close to 500 out the front, but if not then you will have sub 400 out the front lumens.

The P7 or MC-E lights need a a really well thought out heatsink and some IMR 18650's to get them past 500 out the front. Take away one of them and the light output suffers. Granted, you also need adequate current: but too much can negate its benefits too.

If the current on the wolfyes P7 light is 3A~4A at the tail 2 primaries will be fine. The primaries with 3A+ current will sag significantly.

i think he measured 2.0A draw on a 18650 and a 2.1A draw on 2 cr123a's
it's somewhere in the review

recDNA

Flashaholic
i think he measured 2.0A draw on a 18650 and a 2.1A draw on 2 cr123a's
it's somewhere in the review

I'm reluctant to ignore warnings from the company on such an expensive item. Just too much money for me at the moment. Just ordered a TK40

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm reluctant to ignore warnings from the company on such an expensive item. Just too much money for me at the moment. Just ordered a TK40

The company's recommendation in this case exists in order to give you the most enjoyment from the light. Two primary cells will handle the load to a point, but this has nothing to do with harming the "expensive" light itself.

Just to clarify, did you mean CR123 or RCR123 or IMR 16340s? Yes, they're essentially the same size but deliver power differently. If you're just wondering if there is a light the same length as 2 x 123 cells then a single 18650 light will fit that requirement and handle the load much better.

I guess a more direct way of stating my point is to say, if you're going to specify 2 cells lights, then tell us exactly the cell type you mean. Otherwise specify a light that's the same size as a 2 x CR123 light.

Perhaps you actually did mean 2 x CR123 (primary lithium non-rechargeable) in which case you could use them with the WE Explorer but they're not going to last long or deliver the best performance.

As to 700 lumens for any pair of 123 sized batteries, that's a big negatory. 450+ lumens, it's a go!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, three cells, that's a different story entirely... But then again, it's one that doesn't belong in the LED light section.:devil:

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
Y are you guys knocking on people just cos they dont search? I mean this is a forum after all, which means users expect 2 way user to user communication, most of the time from more knowledgabel people.

If you are so uptight about search, then you might as well just ask them to use Google search, no point of a forum.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Y are you guys knocking on people just cos they dont search? I mean this is a forum after all, which means users expect 2 way user to user communication, most of the time from more knowledgabel people.

If you are so uptight about search, then you might as well just ask them to use Google search, no point of a forum.

I for one never mentioned anything about using the search function but I suspect that others did because he asks a lot of questions in new threads which are often already being discussed on the category main pages.

June 2009 join date
12 new threads
169 posts

What can I say....he must be a fellow craving for information and perhaps too impatient to look for it. :)

I can relate to the impatient thing myself. :eek: Must restrain! :grin2:

easilyled

Flashaholic

I think there has to be a reasonable balance...

There are those that spend an enormous amount of their own time testing and then posting results for the benefit of everyone else.
They are the "givers" to this community. (like MrGman, for example)
Others of us just "take" and don't give much back in return.

If we keep asking questions when the "givers" have already posted the information, its understandable that they may be "uptight" as you put it.
Your sort of post drives the "givers" away from cpf because they'll think "why should I waste my time and effort in imparting my knowledge to a largely unappreciative community?"

Last edited:

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Maybe because the search isn't 100% accurate and not everyone is willing to take 20 to 30 minutes to scroll between threads of topics the search feature found that are irrelevant to the topic. Some people have been on here so long they think they can boss everyone else around and they have seen every thread so they don't need to use the search feature. New members are not always the most experienced in using forums. Sometimes it is important to post a new topic as well and get an interactive experience. I don't think it's right or fair for more seasoned and established forum members to badger other members. Most of the time these forum members are not even moderators but members who think they own this forum.

As for the Topic on hand. I own the PLI and I own a Deree DBS V3 MC-E. Both are very nice but produce well under 700 lumens. There are no lights that I know of at the moment that run off 2x123 that can produce over 500 lumens. PLI and Dere DBS are still very nice light's and great choices.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't think it's right or fair for more seasoned and established forum members to badger other members. Most of the time these forum members are not even moderators but members who think they own this forum.

And I don't think its right or fair that a minority of CPFers carry out all the testing for the benefit of everyone else
and that many others can't be bothered to spend any time looking at the results that they post.

Then posters like you criticize these people, that have given up so much of their time, for finding this a bit frustrating.

Last edited: