going to chicago what to do?

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Going to Chicago at the end of the month and wondering if there is anything fun to go see. I know there is a lot of stuff to do but I want off the wall stuff that don't cost a lot. Any idea's ?

C4LED

Enlightened

ypsifly

Enlightened
Navy Pier, get a boat tour its worth the money. Go to Big Rock brewery and get a rail of samples. Shedd Aquarium is awesome. Museum of Science and Industry should be on your list. The John Hancock observation level is fun, plus there's a Cheesecake Factory on the ground floor. Check out the shops on Michigan Avenue. The Lego Store rocks! Have dinner at Pizza Uno. Ride a bike along the lake shore.

I really need to get back to The Windy City. Have been several times and that town gets better with each visit. Might ride the rails there this fall. That's the only way to go.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Museum and signatureroom are now on the list. I was also told to go to MI ave by a friend of mine but thought it was some seedy type place. Is this where all the cool stores are?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Adler Planetarium is fun, as are any of the museums. The Lincoln Park Zoo is free I think, as is a nice stroll by the lake. The view from The Willis Tower (formerly known as The Sears Tower, just recently renamed) is incredible. Lou Malnati's Pizza is among the best.

And while you're there, be sure to treat yourself to some world-class traffic jams on our wonderful "expressways"!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Planatarium as noted, and the Chicago Field Museum (see the original Lions from Tsavo they made the movie about), the Sears Tower (I understand they once again have the glass floored obvservation area open, ver fun I saw that about 30 years ago and it was kewl), write your name on the walls of Ginos. You could go see Oprah, roflamo...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
For your request of "off the wall" destinations, you're getting all of the big tourist spots recommended! :laughing:

Here's a few things that I like to do, which probably aren't big tourist destinations:

===

SEE

Alfred Caldwell Lily Pond - super cool and mellow place, near the Lincoln Park Zoo and The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. FREE

The boat tours are actually pretty cool, despite being a tourist attraction - the best one, hands-down, is the Chicago Architectural Foundation's boat tours.

There are tons of plays that are really worth seeing - check out the Steppenwolf Theatre and the Lookingglass Theatre (owned by David Schwimmer, who's in a lot of the plays).

Movies in the Park - they show new and old movies, in various parks around the city... the one in Grant Park is huge, so get there early! Maybe stop at a nearby grocer or restaurant and get a snack (or meal!) to bring with you. FREE

Also, no one mentioned Millennium Park - it's awesome, even if it's a major tourist attraction. There's oftentimes noon concerts in the Frank Gehry designed Pritzker Auditorium (FREE). And the Park Grill ain't a bad place to eat, although it's crazy during lunch.

===

SHOP

Michigan Avenue is anything BUT "off the wall" - it's not at all "seedy" as your friend called it - it's sheik Chicago shopping at its best... which is exactly why I stay away from there. If I go shopping (yech), I go to the North/Clybourn intersection, which has Erehwon Outfitters, a new huge REI, a new huge Whole Foods, Patagonia, and a few other decent shops. But if you want local shops, go up to Damen Ave in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood - there are a lot of cool boutique's which will have stuff that you can't get anywhere else.

===

EAT!

As for restaurants, I usually stay away from the bigger places (and downtown for that matter, except for the workweek, since I work downtown), and prefer places in the neighborhoods around town:

There are great Indian restaurants on Devon Ave, and worth the trek up there to see all of the Indian grocers and Bollywood movie stores.

Crust Pizza on Division Street uses all organic and mostly locally-grown ingredients - and is certainly not touristy. And it's just west of Damen Ave., so you could eat and then shop on Damen Ave a few blocks north in Bucktown, stopping through Wicker Park as you walk.

Lula Cafe has an amazing special menu starting at 6pm - and is in my neighborhood of Logan Square. It's hopping in the mornings for breakfast, and at night for dinner.

M.Henry is the best breakfast place in town, hands DOWN! If you're here on a weekend, get there EARLY, and expect to WAIT, but fret not! There's an AWESOME greenhouse called Gethsemane Gardens a 1/2 block up the street, which has cool plants and AWESOME gifts.

===

I'm never ever bored here. I love this city dearly, and am glad to call it home! If you see a dude on a bike with a flashlight clipped in his pocket, that'd be me. :D (and look out!)

Good luck and have fun!

:thumbsup: john

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gotta' suggest you take in the Art Institute !

What a wonderful place that is. :thumbsup:

Please let us know how you enjoyed yer' trip to Chicago.

Good Luck !

:cool:
_

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ex and I enjoyed hitting china town and the dining establishments there. Visit old town just off lakeshore dr lots of uniques spots there too.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Than'k everyone for the great idea's and taking time to answer my thread.
Is there anyplace in china town to buy gadget's or electronic's such as lights of course, laser's, led's and basic gadget stuff?

Last edited: