Flashlights that light cigs?

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
And ridiculously impractical - there's way better options out there for this kind of light output.

Under true use (and nevermind all the downtime for cooling!) the cost of replacement bulbs (it appears to be incandescent) and rechargeable batteries (or packs if it uses that) would approach that of a much more expensive light within months.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
dang...i was hoping someone modded a lighter into a flashlight...ultimate survival machine...although the overpowered mag-lite is cool, its not as cool as a surefire-zippo would have been :naughty:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a PD30, E1B, and E2DL for about 5 minute each on high one night to light someones cigarette.

/fail

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
Ok 4100 lumens and its only $300? Why doesnt every CPF'er have one?
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Wicked_Lights-74-0.html I mean thats the power of 8 Surefire M6's and its $100 cheaper PLUS its rechargeable?

Battery Lifetime: 15 Minutes, thats prolly some of the reason, other than that, he cooks an egg on the front of it, how easy can it be to hold on to? my hands cook at a lot lower temp than eggs usually....unless you can get mcgizmo to make some titanium and asbestos gloves lol:paypal:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Don't buy anything from wickedlasers. That's only a Mag 623 at double the price to make your own and you can make it better with the extra cell.
Travel over to the Incan section to read up on them.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Lifetime: 15 Minutes, thats prolly some of the reason, other than that, he cooks an egg on the front of it, how easy can it be to hold on to? my hands cook at a lot lower temp than eggs usually....unless you can get mcgizmo to make some titanium and asbestos gloves lol:paypal:

15 minutes of overall runtime. Only 3 minutes at a time(so one charge gets you 5x3 minute uses). Also all that insane heat makes me wonder how long this flashlight will last before it dies. Lastly its not an led its a halogen 100 watt bulb. So basically this is just a normal lightbulb squeezed into a maglight with a crazy custom battery. Kinda cool but eh.

DM51

Flashaholic
Don't buy anything from wickedlasers. That's only a Mag 623 at double the price to make your own and you can make it better with the extra cell.
Travel over to the Incan section to read up on them.
We do. But we bought them from Mac years ago, or assembled them ourselves from parts readily available here.
Good advice - this light is no different from a Mag 623 which you can buy or build yourself for half that price.

And as SureAddicted pointed out, if you tried lighting a cigarette with it you'd boil your eyeballs and weld your nose to the lens.

DM51

Flashaholic
Incidentally, this is in the wrong forum - should have been posted in the Incan section. Moving it now.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
And ridiculously impractical - there's way better options out there for this kind of light output.

Under true use (and nevermind all the downtime for cooling!) the cost of replacement bulbs (it appears to be incandescent) and rechargeable batteries (or packs if it uses that) would approach that of a much more expensive light within months.

Completely wrong statement.........read up on things before you type :)

The 623 lamps are rated 200+ hours at 14v, and the batteries are rechargeable. The light is simply a wow light it was never intended to be practical :)

Mac

mdocod

Flashaholic
By the standard of impracticality mentioned, every SF HOLA lamp configuration is then equally impractical and even more expensive to operate. Continuous discharges on a SF HOLA powered by CR123s are basically impossible due to cell over-heating issues, also, the body on the smaller lights heats up quite a bit...

In all cases, practicality is really in the eye of the beholder and depends on application.

Also, as mentioned, the 623 should have plenty of bulb life on the more conservative 12 cell pack.

The argument that *no-body* should buy one, but instead, build their own, is roughly equivalent to telling someone they should never have a mechanic work on their car, because it's over-priced for what you get... There's an argument both ways for this. I like to work on my own car, probably because I like the savings, my Dad always tells me that he's more than willing to pay the mechanic those big bucks because he hates that kind of work enough that it's worth it to him not to have to do it himself. I'm a firm believer that everyone should get their hands dirty and immerse themselves in some complicated projects at least once and awhile to keep them sharp and to learn new things, but I'm not going to force anyone to do it :)

-Eric

Illum

Flashaholic
Battery Lifetime: 15 Minutes

FAIL...
Mag623 does not and will not last 15 minutes without cooking your batteries like a couple hard boiled eggs

its more like 5:green:

I'm pretty sure mag85s can light cigs...provided you can focus it down to something not bigger than a quarter

lolzertank

Enlightened
Here's an example of how much it costs to build a Mag623.

3D Maglite - $20
4xIMR26500 - $70
Kiu Socket - $15
FM Reflector - $30
Borofloat Lens - $10
1" PVC - $2
JimmyM's regulator - $40 OR DIY MOSFET switch - $10
Bulbs - $20
Charger - DX's sku.6105 isn't too bad, $20 for 2.

Total cost: $197 - $237, price could be squeezed down more if you already have chargers, the Mag etc.

This actually is >4000 L too...

sylathnie

Enlightened
I cook marshmallows with the Sublimator. Works great since they are slightly transparent. The inside gets nice and gooey.:naughty:

I do use welding goggles while I'm doing it though. :cool: I wandered around with a marshmallow shaped spot in my vision for quite a while when I tried it without the first time.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
my mr16 50w + dewalt 14,4v batt. lights up cigs in few sec, i get about half hour runtime.