Olight M30 vs DBS V3 Help me decide.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new EDC light (or two). I need more flood than throw for my day job. During the night and weekends, I need more throw than flood. I can work with whatever throw I have, but would prefer the most USABLE throw I can get (no laser beams, please). I would like 3 modes only (a very high high, 60-150 lumens mid level and lower than 20 lumens low. I'm less worried about lumens numbers than usable light. 1.5 hr+ runtime on high would be a huge bonus. For reference, I currently have a Fenix TK10, P3D premium Q5, P1D premium Q5, Leatherman Monarch 500 and 2 Surefire 6Ps. I like the size/form factor of the TK10/6P so I would like to keep it around that size, but can go a little larger if needed to meet the other parameters. I have been using CR123A primaries and would like to switch to rechargeables, so battery type is not an issue.

The Olight M30 triton sounds excellent for what I need, but the crenellations and potential PWM problems have me worried. I would hate to spend that much on a light and find out that I, my spouse or my coworkers notice the PWM to a point it is unusable. I also use my light probably 50 times a day, so crenellations would likely make it hard to holster/chew up the holster. I'm also a little uncertain how big it is compared to my current lights.

I have also been considering the Dereelight DBS V3 with MC-E/OP reflector plus an additional R2/SMO reflector. I like the shape, but I'm unsure of how big it is. It's future-upgradable, but it has a memory for last mode used which I don't want.
There may be other options out there that I may not be aware of, or there may be another light about to be released. Suggestions are welcome. Pictures of these lights next to a 6P or TK10 would also be most welcome.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a new EDC light (or two). I need more flood than throw for my day job. During the night and weekends, I need more throw than flood. I can work with whatever throw I have, but would prefer the most USABLE throw I can get (no laser beams, please). I would like 3 modes only (a very high high, 60-150 lumens mid level and lower than 20 lumens low. I'm less worried about lumens numbers than usable light. 1.5 hr+ runtime on high would be a huge bonus. For reference, I currently have a Fenix TK10, P3D premium Q5, P1D premium Q5, Leatherman Monarch 500 and 2 Surefire 6Ps. I like the size/form factor of the TK10/6P so I would like to keep it around that size, but can go a little larger if needed to meet the other parameters. I have been using CR123A primaries and would like to switch to rechargeables, so battery type is not an issue.

I like both lights and do not have any problem with pwm, I have done a beamshot where it is possible to compare their beams: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12 beamshoots UK.html

I run the M30 on 2x18500 batteries, this gives only 1 hour runtime, but makes it very compact. The DBS is on two IMR16340, i.e. even shorter runtime, but I like the lockout function and the very compact size.
If you need long runtime, both lights can be extended to 2x18650.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
I have never noticed the PWM, on any setting, on my Olight M30. This light has one of the better throw/flood combinations, imo. The light is on the "bluer" side however. I have no problems holstering the light in my leather duty belt holster, however, i've only had the light about 30 days, so take that with a grain of salt. I was able to find a holster that fits the full size of the M30 (x2 18650's) comfortably on this website:

http://flashlightsunlimited.com/inovat5.htm

The holster is originally for an inova t5mp, which i thought was a little too floody and weak output (200 lumnes for 3 cr123's?!) This sit also allows you to custom make the holster (velcro/leather/weave/snap and finish configurations). It's around $30

I've dropped the Olight twice already, once against a house and then on the concrete ground during a foot chase, and once while wrestling with someone on a porch (12 ft drop onto dirt). Light still works well, although there is a scratch or two on it now (oh well).

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw an early run of the M30 and the PWM was pretty bad. Is it possible they have improved it in later runs?

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have a M30 and do not notice the pwm at all, in mid or low settings.
There is none on the high setting. The only way I was able to tell it even exists is to point the light at a wall and flick it side-to-side extremely rapidly. Then you notice that on low or mid it leaves spots on the wall instead of a steady beam. But I reiterate, in normal use I cannot tell it is there.

As for carrying it, I just clip it to my left front pocket where I used to clip my Surefire U2. It is less than an inch longer and about .25 wider, no big deal. The crennelations are not really sharp enough to cause damage. They are more meant to allow the light to tail-stand, and to show if the light is on when standing on the bezel. They are not really aggressive enough to be "defensive" crennelations, IMHO.

Supposedly the light should run on two 18500s for a bit over one hour to 50% output. Most people will be hard-pressed to notice the difference, but it-is-what-it-is.

I am perfectly happy with the M30, it is a keeper. Not too big, not too small. Just about the perfect size IMHO.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
I saw an early run of the M30 and the PWM was pretty bad. Is it possible they have improved it in later runs?

From what I gather, either you notice it or you don't. Other than changing the frequency or eliminating it altogether, I don't think there's much they can do to improve it. If they have eliminated it altogether, the other performance characteristics will be changed. My problem is that I don't know if myself or anyone I work with will be bothered by it until I buy it. I suspect it won't be an issue, but that's a lot of money to find out.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
I like both lights and do not have any problem with pwm, I have done a beamshot where it is possible to compare their beams: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/12 beamshoots UK.html

I run the M30 on 2x18500 batteries, this gives only 1 hour runtime, but makes it very compact. The DBS is on two IMR16340, i.e. even shorter runtime, but I like the lockout function and the very compact size.
If you need long runtime, both lights can be extended to 2x18650.

Fantastic beamshots on that page. Thank you. I think I like the DBS beam pattern slightly more, but I like the lower low level on the Olight. The runtimes you mentioned above are on high I presume? 1 hour runtime on high may work if I take a spare set of batteries to work. I always have a backup light anyway.

cbxer55

Enlightened
The one hour runtime on the M30 is on high.
Mid-range at 120 lumens should get you over 9 hours.
Low-range at 8 lumens should get you around 80 hours.

This is on two 18500 batterys.
Will not be much difference on three primaries.

Here is a link to a lot more information on the M30.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

Last edited:

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
So would the DBS and Olight be approximately the size of THIS with a slimmer body? About the same head diameter? Same length for the Olight and a little shorter for the DBS (depending on batteries)? I'm trying to picture them.

38387_300.jpg

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
The one hour runtime on the M30 is on high.
Mid-range at 120 lumens should get you over 9 hours.
Low-range at 8 lumens should get you around 80 hours.

This is on two 18500 batterys.
Will not be much difference on three primaries.

Here is a link to a lot more information on the M30.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231491

Thanks. This still amazes me. It was only a few years ago that I was amazed by the Surefire 6P's 60 lumens and 45 minute runtime.

Toaster

Enlightened
If you have deep pockets, the 500 lumen Olight M20 SST-50 would be another option. Given past history, I would expect Olight to release a plain Al version of this light sometime in the future. Another option would be the upcoming 4Sevens MC-E light. But it seems like they're taking a page out of Surefire's handbook with regards to product delays, so who knows when it'll be actually available :whistle:

cbxer55

Enlightened
Thanks. This still amazes me. It was only a few years ago that I was amazed by the Surefire 6P's 60 lumens and 45 minute runtime.

Yeah, and the bulbs that blew out when you least expected it.:shakehead
I have really gotten to hating incans because of this reason alone.
How many times I pulled out my E1e, E2e, 6P, M2, hit the switch and :poof:
brief flash of light then nothing. Most of all my old Surefire incans are all stored away with burned out bulbs, which I MAY one day replace.

And the good old Surefire U2 has a max output of 100 lumens for one whole hour. The M30 puts out 120 lumens mid-range for over 9 hours. U2 now stored away with all the burned out incans.:D

I like Surefires, but they are not keeping up with the joneses here. And they are still over-priced, $280 for the U2! Don't know what I was thinking when I bought that puppy.:faint:

JeffInChi

Enlightened
So would the DBS and Olight be approximately the size of THIS with a slimmer body? About the same head diameter? Same length for the Olight and a little shorter for the DBS (depending on batteries)? I'm trying to picture them.

38387_300.jpg

The body is definately slimmer, and the head is smaller.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DBS MC-E (2.4A) with 2x18500 extension and the new driver has a much lower low setting than the original 2.1A MC-E. Also supposedly no issues due to "PWM frequency at 38KHz, never PWM flickering and whine at any level". I'm very happy with this combination and it's balance of throw & flood.

I tried out an M30 at a gun show last weekend and it's somewhat smaller more/compact than my DBS. I personally prefer the DBS's UI as I will not use a light that requires cycling through the strobe setting to go from High to Low mode. Also the flared tailcap is not for me as I pocket carry at times.

But, it is a very powerfull light package despite its idiosyncrasies.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

ergotelis

Enlightened
I have both flashlights and definetly love more the M30. DBS is nice but only specific purposes. PWM is noticeable, but i don't have problem with that, as i use M30 on high and very rarely i use lower settings. If i want lower output i have other much smaller flashlights to use, and more practical.

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I have the DBS V3 3SM MC-E with 2x18650 extension and this light is an incredible blend of flood and throw. It is the best combination of the two that I have ever used.

gilly

Enlightened
The M-30 and DBS V3 (with MC-E pill) are both excellent lights - - but you say you are looking for a new EDC...

I would not consider either of these to be an EDC due to the larger diameter of their reflectors. (wide head)

Have you considered looking at:

Jetbeam Jet III - Military

Jetbeam RRT-2 Raptor

Olight M-20

Eagletac M20C2

I think you would be very pleased with any of the above listed lights for performance and size (similar to your 6P and TK10).

Not to bash the DBS (of which I own two) and the M-30 (which I plan on getting when a version that addresses the PWM comes out...)

Good luck to you!