Need a good firefighters flashlight

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi everybody, been reading the forums for a while and I've got a question if you don't mind.

I am a probie firefighter and have been looking for a good flashlight or two so I can always have light when needed.

I was issued a pelican light and while it is a good light I really think there are better lights avaible.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome,I think an M2 would be good for you, there tough as nails maybe tougher. it cant hurt to get an E1E either. hope this helps.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I have heard of a few firefighters using an E1, or E2 mounted on a helmet, and an M2 for a hand held light. I personally have both the M2, and
e2, and Although I am not a firefighter, I would highly recommend both lights.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you contact SureFire and Streamlight directly (and I am sure, UKE too) they will give you personalized help.

I e-mailed SureFire, and they responded by wanting to know the specific helmut model, etc. I did not know that so I just forwarded the info to my neighbor.

I would say to contact :
SureFire
UKE
Streamlight
Pelican
and
Greg at Brightguy.com for info.

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
Does a Surefire light with only 1 hour of run time fit the need of a firefighter?

I would have thought that firefighting would need longer run times.

???

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by camisdad:
Does a Surefire light with only 1 hour of run time fit the need of a firefighter?

I would have thought that firefighting would need longer run times.

???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Read this reply from another thread,from "FC Flashaholic Member # 1029"
(a FireFighter). And BTY, I would go for an E2 or an M3. I would want as much light on there as possible, because this is a life and death situation.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by redbird:

I can't imagine why any firefighter would want to enter a potentially dangerous situation with a E2 knowing full well of the limited run time. I would go with the UK aa.
Last I knew BriteGuy had them on special.
While surefire's are great lights they are not the answer to every question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, and we got those 10hour air bottles...

There are three major sizes of SCBA air tanks:
2216psi 30min
4500psi lg-1hr,sm-30min

I use E1e on my helemet, and after trying just about every helmet light out there, I am convinced that it is the best. I used to carry M2, but it got destroyed, and I have a "New" Survivor on my coat. For rescue I use M3, and M3 only(MN10).

I posted a nice looong topic on it some time ago. I think the name was "Light for firefighter". Try searching for it...

Shrike9

Newly Enlightened
I've got a M2 that I bounce back and forth between my bunker gear and wildland gear depending on the call. It's really nice to have the M2 avaible when I need light. Went on a grass fire (train set about 1 mile of track on fire and the engine was also on fire) the other night and the M2 was way brighter that the lights we keep on the brush truck. Now I'm thinking about getting some kind of light that I can mount on my wildland helmet.

On my bunker gear coat I've got the issue Pelican Super Saberlite 3C attached and I throw the M2 in the radio pocket as a back up. One of these days I'm going to get either a streamlight survivor or a Pelican Big Ed (can't tell much difference between them) to replace the Saberlight.

For a while I was looking for a helmet light, but my VFD has the funky Fire Kight helm and it's extremly easy to break lights off of them as this helm does not have a brim (bummer) so I've yet to get a helm light. I've seen all kinds of lights riged to this helm, but they always break off when you slam you're head into something
shocked.gif