Sub-$30 AA/AAA throwing flashlight

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
Someone at work saw my Ultrafire WF-606A and asked if I could get him something like it ("old" dude, doesnt understand the internet very well). The key is that it runs on AA/AAA batteries (to easily get new ones), cost less than $30 to avoid customs, is from someplace with free or cheap shipping (preferably dealextreme since I shop there often) and that it's more of a throwing light than anything else. It doesn't need to be the flashlight equivalent of a laser pointer, just not a flooding light. He's iused to a zoomable light using normal LEDs, so anything with a cree bulb should be 50 times better than his old light anyways.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rc-n3 from dx is a tried and true budget favorite. It is more of a balance between flood and throw, but I still think he will be very happy with it. You could of course also get him an upgraded version of the rc-n3 from shiningbeam.com as well, they have q5 versions as well as 2 mode versions and a new warm version. The Fenix E20 might also be worth considering which has a focusing maglike head that can provide a pretty good throw too. that is 34 bucks though. The duracell daylite might also be good since it has a focusable head too, although it is a bit less bright.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on shiningbeam, Bryan has incredibly good service, i made payment and within 24 hours my order was shipped.

I ordered the new Romisen RC N3 warm white (it's a single mode and can run in either 1xCR/RCR123 or 2xAA, though with 2xAA there is some battery rattle, easily fixed by putting an O-ring around the cell but its a small thing to live with)

I also have the 2 mode RC N3 II Q5, it's only a 2 mode when in 2xAA configuration though, utilising a forward clicky, you half click to turn the light on momentarily (default is high), half click again to switch to low and fully depress the clicky to turn the light permanently on. OR you could just click on and off really quickly to change modes.

The RC N3 II Q5 is very bright on RCR123 and i get about 47 minutes using a trustfire protected 16340, in 2xAA mode (i use eneloops) its supposed to run 3 hours on high with a further 2 hours on low, or 12 hours on low. Beamwise, it's got a nice hotspot and good spill though it cannot focus. All my non-flashlight oriented friends love the light but none are prepared to spend the minimal amount it costs to get a decent, value for money light, preferring to suffer the woes of sickly low powered incandescent lights or cheapo showerhead 9 LED, 3xAAA lights.

I'd go for shiningbeam, nothing against DX but sometimes waiting for an item sucks and also, the quality is sometimes hit and miss, i had to send back a light twice cos it wouldnt light up at all.

Also, use "cpfuser" on shiningbeam for a discount, shipping isnt too bad, cost USD$5.95 to ship to me in Singapore. Total for the light plus shipping was USD$29.95 i think.

Last edited:

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips, checked the lights out. Whats the difference between the Q5 version of the RC-N3 and the WF-606A I have? From my noobish perspective, they use the same emitter and run from the same source, even has the same approx rated lumen output. Difference with the emitter?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips, checked the lights out. Whats the difference between the Q5 version of the RC-N3 and the WF-606A I have? From my noobish perspective, they use the same emitter and run from the same source, even has the same approx rated lumen output. Difference with the emitter?

You may have had good luck with your ultrafire and maybe this is just opinion, but I'd say the main difference is that romisen is generally a better trusted brand and considered to be of higher quality.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A10 looks alright, let me share some DX experiences with you, back in 2007 i ordered the Ultrafire C3 single mode, 1xAA/14500 with a 2xAA extension tube, that one is working fine, no issues, been banged up, dropped etc and still works great.

Recently, a few months back, i ordered another, exactly the same but this time, had flickering issues, dropped it on purpose and it started acting up.

Then i read about and ordered 2 of the 1xAA/14500 stainless steel Ultrafire C3 5 mode, 1 was more or less okay but the other just up and died on me after 1 drop but other reports state otherwise. It may be that the first few batches were fine, but perhaps after the great demand following the good reviews, quality may have taken a dip. Note that i am being as unbiased as i can be here.

But purchases from shiningbeam are thus far in my personal experience backed by good customer service, less than 24 hrs after i made payment, my order was shipped, not processing but shipped, i found that simply amazing! I have a few orders there, all of them have performed flawlessly to date. With other online sellers, i have had defects, flaws in finishing, nicks and dings that i couldnt (except with one exception) be bothered to send back and even the one that i sent back still has some albeit minor issues (you can see that particular issue here)

I read on someone's signature line that if he knew then what he knew now, he'd skip all the lower end lights and just go for the quality lights. I heartily agree with that now. BUT that isnt to say there arent some great deals out there, the Ultrafire RL2088 springs to mind but then again, the price point is comparable to the higher end lights so it had better be a quality product.

Best bang for the buck, balancing quality of production with price and output and from my own humble experience, i would go for the Romisen RC N3 (whether the 2 mode or single mode), selfbuilt has done a review of 2xAA lights and the Romisen is the only 'budget' light featured in his review.

And, have you tried dropping your lights yet? I mean, that's what counts right? you wouldnt want a light that dropped and died. To illustrate, last saturday i was out and had a few too many, someone was asking me why my Nitecore EX10 cost so much more than his cheap 9-LED, 3xAAA light that he had, without a word, i took out my EX10 and flung it full force into a brick wall, picked it up, turned it on, dunked it in a glass of water and said "let's see your light do that"

gave him the link to 4sevens and i think he just ordered one.

quality does count, fellow CPF-er. We have a sort of slang saying in Singapore, "Good things not cheap, cheap things not good" but as with all sayings there are always exceptions to the rule, just have to hunt really hard to find them, am glad that you have had no problems with your purchases so far.

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
I definitely see your point. My lights have taken serious beatings, there's hardly any paint left on my WF-606A xD

I will look closer at the rc-n3, it looks nice and the guy is a mechanic so the better quality should be a big plus. Thanks!

EDIT: how is this in comparison to the n3? http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-172/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-H3-II/Detail

Using 1AA it lasts shorter, but the smaller size is nice

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt click on your link but i am going to assume its the RC G2 :D i'd still say go for a RC N3, 2xAAs are easier for a mechanic to grip

Duglite

Newly Enlightened
But purchases from shiningbeam are thus far in my personal experience backed by good customer service, less than 24 hrs after i made payment, my order was shipped, not processing but shipped, i found that simply amazing!

Thank you for the tip on Shiningbeam. I just ordered a Romisen RC-C6 barely a couple of hours ago, and just received a nice note from Bryan saying that he has already shipped it!

lightbug

Enlightened
hyperloop and Duglite,
Thanks guys, for all your support and recommendation of my online store. :)

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Just a newbie, but FWIW...

I got a Life Gear 1xAA from Target. It's got a Cree LED (don't know which one). For $20, it throws very well. I really like it.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for the Romisen RC-N3 WW from Shiningbeam, I am considering buying one myself.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
I've bought 3 and all have been fine, havent had any trouble with quality.
How is this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19187
?
Asking because I ordered one for myself a few days ago, it looked nice :S

I've both the Ultrafire A10 and the RC-N3. The Romisen throws better, because of the larger reflector.
You'll not be disappointed with the ultrafire A10 tough: bright, robust and durable. I use it for caving, and it survived some really bad moments.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've both the Ultrafire A10 and the RC-N3. The Romisen throws better, because of the larger reflector.
You'll not be disappointed with the ultrafire A10 tough: bright, robust and durable. I use it for caving, and it survived some really bad moments.

any light that can survive caving speaks for itself

Cptnodegard

Newly Enlightened
Just got the mail it was shipped. Shiningbeam IS quick. 3 hours from order to shipped!