ECOFONT - reduce ink consuption by 20% - FREE font

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishSumgai

Newly Enlightened
The Ecofont is based on the Vera Sans, an Open Source letter, and is available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

The prints we make for our 'daily use' not only use paper, but also ink. But your ink cartridges (or toner) could last longer.

We have therefore developed a new font: the Ecofont.

"After Dutch holey cheese, there now is a Dutch font with holes as well."

Appealing ideas are often simple: how much of a letter can be removed while maintaining readability?
After extensive testing with all kinds of shapes, the best results were achieved using small circles.
After lots of late hours (and coffee) this resulted in a font that uses up to 20% less ink.

Free to download, free to use.

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR ECOFONT

ecofont_tekstvoorbeeld.jpg

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't open the link, because I was at school, but I really didn't need to. I agree with Wattnot, "If that was the OP's first post ever, he would be gone by now."

It even sounds fishy. :poke: Easiest way to reduce ink usage is to go with single spacing, smaller fonts size, and a less complicated font.

That is probably all it does.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the characters literally have holes in them.

As far as I can tell, it's useless on text sizes below 24 point - which is 99.9% of what I print.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I may be missing something here, but I don't see the problem. The usual definition of "spam" is "unsolicited commercial e-mail" which doesn't fit this thread.
  1. This is the CPF Cafe where almost anything is on-topic.
  2. We all come here to see new information from our global community of flashaholics so it's not "unsolicited."
  3. No one seems to be making any money on this so it's not "commercial."
  4. We could stretch the point a bit and allow "e-mail" to match, but that is less than one out of three.
  5. I looked at the link and will likely play with this font when I get home. (I won't experiment on my work computer, even at lunch time.)
  6. OP looks friendly and helpful to me. He may have over-quoted some of the marketing material for Ecofont, but I don't see anything malicious. It looks overly enthusiastic at worst.
My best suggestion to PolishSumgai is to post eco-friendly information in CPF Green where it is likely to be more warmly received. ;) The only problem is that far fewer people read CPF Green.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't open the link, because I was at school, but I really didn't need to. I agree with Wattnot, "If that was the OP's first post ever, he would be gone by now."

It even sounds fishy. :poke: Easiest way to reduce ink usage is to go with single spacing, smaller fonts size, and a less complicated font.

That is probably all it does.

Right, so you know you can't open the link is because you are in school, yet you call it spam without even knowing what it is?

If you had actually bothered to read the site linked to you wouldn't be talking out of the other end.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont somehow think that its spam....as much as a poorly worded attempt to let us know of this idea for conserving ink

Crenshaw

eprom

Newly Enlightened
I have download it. I will give a try to it. We are getting large volume of print outs (20.000 pages/mount) so I can report the result.

And the font,
EcoFont.jpg

And First Printout, Spranq Eco Sans and Lucida Sans
EcoFont_Sample.JPG

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What point font was that? For a size reference.

Sorry, OP, it just seemed like spam. Neat idea, but maybe you could have explained it a little better. The whole description seemed fishy. My family computer has had a bad deal with my sister downloading things without reading about them.

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, OP, it just seemed like spam. Neat idea, but maybe you could have explained it a little better. The whole description seemed fishy. My family computer has had a bad deal with my sister downloading things without reading about them.

This is a TTF font file, which as far as I know, isn't executable in any way. Google also helps. Just type in Ecofont and see if it sounds legit. I always do that before downloading anything.

And, as always, backup your computer just in case something does screw it up. Then you can restore it easily.

carl20

Newly Enlightened
The Ecofont is based on the Vera Sans, an Open Source letter, and is available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

The prints we make for our 'daily use' not only use paper, but also ink. But your ink cartridges (or toner) could last longer.

We have therefore developed a new font: the Ecofont.

"After Dutch holey cheese, there now is a Dutch font with holes as well."

Appealing ideas are often simple: how much of a letter can be removed while maintaining readability?
After extensive testing with all kinds of shapes, the best results were achieved using small circles.
After lots of late hours (and coffee) this resulted in a font that uses up to 20% less ink.

Free to download, free to use.

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR ECOFONT

ecofont_tekstvoorbeeld.jpg
has anyone here tried downloading this? is it safe and legit???? finding ways to reduce ink consumption is great without having to switch to non oem or third party cheap printer ink cartridges..

DM51

Flashaholic
... How about printing in gray, to save even more ink? Or even white, so we wouldn't have to read it at all? :green:

Whether this is a half-witted idea or just a rather weak joke, it has run its course. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.