JetBeam RRT-2 Waterproof test?

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, newbie here, just wondering if anyone did a waterproof test on their RRT-2 ? Thinking of getting one since we live in a flood prone area. Has anyone tried it on their pool or hot tub?:D

it says ipx-8, how deep is its max and for how long?

much appreciate any info on this. thanks!:twothumbs

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, just following up if anyone tested their jetbeam rrt-2 with regards to its ipx-8 waterproof standards. :)

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Cool!:grin2: Thanks for testing it out, appreciate it. cant find on the internet yet on how deep is its maximum depth and for how long.:thinking:

thanks again for trying, i know its kinda hard to test out our beloved flashlights and jetbeams are not cheap too!:D

Marduke

Flashaholic
IPX8 is a minimum of 1m for 30 min. However, it is rather worthless in telling you how waterproof the light actually is, and does not account for real world conditions.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you can put the light in a sink full of water and still stay sealed, i think i can the say this light will probably satisfy all your non-water activity needs.

If you want to swim with it, it should be fine. If you want to dive with it, don't be a cheap *** and get a specially designed & certified diving light before you get yourself killed.

Even if these lights with "IPX-8 standard" can last for one diving trip, I wouldn't trust it for the second one.

Patriot

Flashaholic
good effort scary !! want to have ago with my Nex but but but I JUST CANT LOL

My o-rings are lubed really well so be sure to give that some attention.

You just reminded me that I was going to place it in a tall bucket tonight and forgot. I'll do it tomorrow and take a video of it if possible.

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys, our place in the Philippines gets flooded from time to time due to typhoons, I just wanna get a light that wont konk out on me if I "ACCIDENTALLY" drop it in floodwaters, electricity normally gets cut off during strong typhoons so I really do need a light that i could depend on but not totally break my wallet:candle:

check out what happend to our area 3 weeks ago
http://www.typhoonondoy.org/?tag=images

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/typhoon_ketsana_ondoy.html

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Last edited:

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
IPX8 is a minimum of 1m for 30 min. However, it is rather worthless in telling you how waterproof the light actually is, and does not account for real world conditions.

Thanks Marduke, I do really need a good light for real world conditions as you can see in my links

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Hey Patriot! Thank you very very much for that test video!:twothumbs I was a little scared when you switched the RRT-1 on and off under the water, I was afraid the water might seep in the clicker if you turned it off and on under water, I dont want to damage your flashlight because of me my friend.

Nevertheless I really really appreciate it bro! Im definitely getting the RRT-2! As you guys can see thru the pictures, I kinda need it in our area. The floodwaters went in our house and was waist deep inside our indoor swimming pool ( formerly our living room ). Our two cars became submarines and my car is still not running. The car shop is still waiting for the computer box to be shipped from Japan, there are around 200 of us waiting for the same part in that car shop alone.

My Solarforce L2 basically saved my *** during that storm but I have 2pcs of Solarforce L900's that got submerged for quite a while and unfortunately they are not working anymore.

Thats the reason I was asking an IPX-8 light.

Newbie question, what kind of lube did you put on your O-rings?

Thanks again and I hope you didnt damage your light my friend:thumbsup:

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Cool, Ive tested the RRT2 for one hour at 8 feet with 0 leaks, actually havent had any light leak yet :D Here is a picture of the RRT2 under water/ in a pool.
IMG_2311.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic
You're Welcom Black K. It seemed like the least I could do.

Very sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstances with your house, car and other property. I guess you may have made out better that some families who lost loved ones. I honestly can't imagine that kind of hardship since I live in a very nice place with almost zero natural disasters. My heart goes out to you and your family. Hopefully everything will be made as before the typhoon.

Regarding some specifics of the test, I only used one o-ring on the tailcap instead of two. Two will obviously seal even better. I normally use Nyogel on my o-ring but our climate is warm here so if I'm going to be around water I use clear silicone grease. It's the same thing that plumbers use for for lubing rubber seals. I picked up a small 1 ounce plastic tin of it about 3 years ago and I've still got half left. In the States, I purchase it a ACE hardware stores.

A note about the tail cap switch: The stainless ring on the back screws down tightly against the flat, flared portion of the switch boot so unless the boot has a hole in it, I don't think there's any way water is going to get in there. You can always smear a bit of silicone grease between the ring and the boot flare to really make it water proof if you want.

D1live, that's a really nice underwater shot you posted. Nice to see someone has tested the light beyond what I did too.

southplinker

Newly Enlightened
Kamusta Kabayan! your on the right site and I see that your well taken care off already.

During Ondoy I was using my Fenix P2D to get through the night, but I had to minimize usage since I was using RCR123. As soon as power was up, I went online straight to CPF and also ended up with Jetbeam with no regrets at all:thumbsup:

I wonder how many Jetbeam users are there in the Philippines, could you be the first to have the RRT-2 here;) Almost purchased the RTT-2 but decided to go with the Jet-I Pro V3 since it takes AAs which I think is very important since you know how common power failure is during a typhoon. Another reason for me was the size, I prefer that I can pocket my light for EDC.

I aslo manage to influence a friend to get the Jetbeam Military over Fenix's TK11:D and my friend has the same big grin as soon as he turned on the light:laughing:

BTW I already dunked mine on a bucket of water and ice with San Mig Lights and it's still running:drunk:

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Hi D1live, thank you also for sharing your cool water test.

newbie question, what are O leaks? where do you buy them?

Thanks again for the help guys:grin2:

Cool, Ive tested the RRT2 for one hour at 8 feet with 0 leaks, actually havent had any light leak yet :D Here is a picture of the RRT2 under water/ in a pool.
IMG_2311.jpg

black kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Kamusta kapatid! Thanks for your support. Do you live here in the Philippines as well or did you just visit when Ondoy hit?

Where do you buy your stuff here?

Stay safe bro:grin2:

Kamusta Kabayan! your on the right site and I see that your well taken care off already.

During Ondoy I was using my Fenix P2D to get through the night, but I had to minimize usage since I was using RCR123. As soon as power was up, I went online straight to CPF and also ended up with Jetbeam with no regrets at all:thumbsup:

I wonder how many Jetbeam users are there in the Philippines, could you be the first to have the RRT-2 here;) Almost purchased the RTT-2 but decided to go with the Jet-I Pro V3 since it takes AAs which I think is very important since you know how common power failure is during a typhoon. Another reason for me was the size, I prefer that I can pocket my light for EDC.

I aslo manage to influence a friend to get the Jetbeam Military over Fenix's TK11:D and my friend has the same big grin as soon as he turned on the light:laughing:

BTW I already dunked mine on a bucket of water and ice with San Mig Lights and it's still running:drunk: