AA light, > 30 Lumens for > 5 hours

Newly Enlightened
Are there any AA lights that can pump out more than 30 lumens for more than 4 to 5 hours? Preferably single mode or mode cycling by pressing the button. No programmable functionality, no memory. 1xAA if possible. Throw is not important. I haven't seen a light like that so far. Any recommendations?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark AA gives 18 out-the-front lumens for 6 hours off a single AAon its Medium setting. If you put a 14500 in there, you'll probably get 10+ hours off a single charge.

With the tight hot spot and OTF lumen rating, I'm sure the QAA would be plenty bright on Medium.

--flatline

Newly Enlightened
Neither the tactical nor regular Quark appeal to me. Regular's UI is too complicated for the person I'm giving the light to and tactical is overpriced for an effectively 2 mode light. I also prefer not to deal with 4sevens (for reasons that won't be discussed on this forum as it's against the rules).

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's not 6 hours. That is a typo.

To get a single mode light like desired, you'll have to give Peak a call.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that a Fenix LD10 on medium will come close to 5 hours on a Energizer E2. At some time I saw data that said 7 hours that I noted, but I can't find the reference.

mfm

Enlightened
One of the cheaper 7 LED, 8 LED or 12 LED single AA lights on DX might do, probably not over 30 lumens but still...

Newly Enlightened
It's not 6 hours. That is a typo.

To get a single mode light like desired, you'll have to give Peak a call.

Yeah, I had a look at Peak, but I had a hard time figuring out how to match power levels to lumens on their website.

I'm pretty sure that a Fenix LD10 on medium will come close to 5 hours on a Energizer E2. At some time I saw data that said 7 hours that I noted, but I can't find the reference.

If I were buying it for myself, I'd take an LD10. However, this is for someone else and the UI on the Fenix is too complicated.

One of the cheaper 7 LED, 8 LED or 12 LED single AA lights on DX might do, probably not over 30 lumens but still...

I've heard the shipping is quite slow from DX; and the multi-LED lights don't seem to last very long.

mfm

Enlightened
I've heard the shipping is quite slow from DX; and the multi-LED lights don't seem to last very long.

For the price it might be worth a try. For example, they have a 12 LED single AA regulated light with 6 hours to 50% output, 8 hours to regulator dropoff (runtime from Flashlight Reviews with alkaline). Twisty so no switch that can break. $4.48

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK20:

-General Mode: Constant 45 Lumens 11 hours
(Ni-MH,2500mAh)

It is 2xAA, but a great light.

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
EagleTac P10A. It does have 2 setting but the low setting boasts >30 lumens for 8 hours...

Just FYI, according to selfbuilt's 1xAA roundup, the P10A runs a little over 6 hours on an Eneloop. This is better than what the OP asked for, but not the 8 hours claimed by EagleTac.

I did notice, though, that it ran for over 5 hours even on a lowly Duracell alkaline, and I'm guessing that is probably what it's going to end up eating most of the time, based on the "simplicity" requirements.

Looking at the other lights in that roundup, it looks like the P10A is the only one that even comes close to the stated brightness & runtime requirements.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly why I used "boasts' in my reply. I was only going off of the website. Either was it's still a pretty cool light! I always have one in my pocket.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'll second McJagger's recommendation of the Fenix TK20. It's definitely larger than a 1xAA, but it runs on standard batteries, has a simple UI, and is built like a tank. You should be able to get 8 hours or more off of your set of AAs. Great for beginners, it's exactly what I got my father when he needed a light...

Hope this helps!

- FITP

PhilR.

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam Jet 1 Pro goes down to 2 lumens, lasting for 50 hours. Although I can't tell you how long it will run at 30 lumens, I have a feeling that it would do a bit over 30 lumens for five hours. It uses one AA, so it meets that requirement. It has three modes that you cycle through by pressing the button at the back end, and you can pre-set each of the three modes to the output level you want. It does not memorize the last setting, so it meets that requirement as well. Might be worth your time to investigate...