Bought a used AAA; first arc; question

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an Arc-AAA used online. This is my first Arc-AAA. I dont know the exact model but it has Arc-P on the end of the battery tube. I noticed the beam is sorta like a egg yolk and the center is noticeably off. I was just wondering if this is normal or could something be wrong with the thing. I'm tempted to buy a new GS just to compare.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
That's fairly normal. If it is not a GS (supposedly the LED lens sticks out slightly past the bezel) then it is most likely a CS, which was in production for a pretty long time. That's assuming it has the tapered bezel?

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
dscn1934a.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic
Yes, that's a current (MTD LLC) Arc, so it would be a CS, DS or GS LED. My guess is that it's a CS LED because the DS LED models were a very short run before the GS came out. I believe they did use BS LED's in the Arcs after the MTD ownership but those were never labeled Arc-P?

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
So is it normal for Arcs to have off-center hot spots? Just wondering if I got a used dud, since when i compare the beam to my E01, the arc is less center.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly do you mean by egg yolk exactly? The hotspots of the Nichia GS are rectangular and are not in the exact middle of the beam.

Carrot, I thought Arc fixed the GS issue with it sticking out?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vaguely recall there were some "seconds" sold at one point, could be you got one of those third hand.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yeah, I hopped on the DS bandwagon and I love mine. Wonder why Peter isn't using them? They're only 2 or 3 lumens dimmer than the GS at the current drive level, and supposedly a much nicer beam.

As for the off center LED, this is normal.

deer hunter

Newly Enlightened
Im a new Arc aaa owner, but a long time flashaholic and I will say with pride that the Arc aaa is the best small edc anyone could ever own hands down!

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's a current (MTD LLC) Arc, so it would be a CS, DS or GS LED. My guess is that it's a CS LED because the DS LED models were a very short run before the GS came out. I believe they did use BS LED's in the Arcs after the MTD ownership but those were never labeled Arc-P?

Carrot, how can it be a CS if it has ARC-P on the head?

carrot

Flashaholic
The Premium model always uses the brightest LED Peter can get his hands on. At one point, the CS LED was the brightest. I remember this to be the case when I was considering buying my first Arc, but instead I got lucky and got an Arc-AA.

paulr

Flashaholic
It looks like I have a CS which says Arc-P on it. The weird thing is I don't remember buying it, so I'm not sure how I got it. :shrug:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like I have a CS which says Arc-P on it. The weird thing is I don't remember buying it, so I'm not sure how I got it. :shrug:
send it to me, then you wont have to worry about anything at all! :nana:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot, how can it be a CS if it has ARC-P on the head?

From a snapshot of the 2005 ARC FAQ web page:.

... The Arc-AAA use a 5mm Nichia LED part number NSPW500BS/CS. Like all good LEDs, Nichia bins these LEDs by tint and flux. The Standard Arc-AAA uses S flux and B2 or B3 tint. The Premium Arc-AAA uses a U or V flux with a B2 or B1 tint. The difference between the Standard and Premium is the Premium is brighter. ...