Help, need advice - AA alkaline multimode?

midside

Newly Enlightened
Well,
I have spent all day here and I am at a point where I would like to ask for some advice. I have come close to a decision but I just couldn't find the 'perfect' flashlight. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Here's what I am looking for:

- single AA battery (alkaline)
- good (if not great) high power mode
- multi-mode so I can get better run time on medium and long run time as a work light in a small area
- small and easy to pocket

Thanks!!!

p.s. I was close to buying these but:
- K106, poor reviews for alkaline use
- Akoray Q5-WC, poor review for alkaline
- Ultrafire C3, only one mode http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10727
- C78 torch, nice price and adjustable beam, but apparently only one mode http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29095
- Romisen RC-D5, only one mode

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Alkalines aren't recommended for high power LED lights because they sag in voltage at the currents the driver needs to drive the LED well. 2 AAs could work better since there will be less strain on the batteries. But then it won't be as pocket able.

:welcome:

midside

Newly Enlightened
Alkalines aren't recommended for high power LED lights because they sag in voltage at the currents the driver needs to drive the LED well. 2 AAs could work better since there will be less strain on the batteries. But then it won't be as pocket able.

Thanks for the input...perhaps I should alter my requirements a little...
How about (while using alkaline batteries) a light that will do a good job for close proximity work on low/medium settings and do a fair job as a thrower on high power....but...will turn into a good/greater thrower when the single AA alkaline is substituted with a single AA lithium? There must be something that fits this bill....thanks!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The NiteCore EZAA is one that might meet your needs. Two modes with a very usable low. I seldom need the high, which wouldn't last too long on alkalines anyway. You might also wait for the Quark Mini AA which will be available soon, and sounds like a winner.

Geoff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

- multi-mode so I can get better run time on medium and long run time as a work light in a small area
Sounds like you just described the Quark MiNi AA. They just started shipping so there are no reviews of it, yet, but rest assured that there will be some when they start to show up in people's mailboxes in the next week or so. I know I'm excited about mine. It's just under $37 delivered (using the discount code) which is a pretty good price, IMO.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the quark mini or maybe the ITP A2 if you dont mind a twisty.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark mini AA sounds perfect. I have one on order and like the output levels choosen. Size seems to be very small.

I also have the Nitecore EZAA and do not use it much. The low is a little too low for average use (imo) and high kills the battery fast due to very high current drain. While the two stage has benefits, I do not care for the spring method for achieving the levels. It is inconsistant.

The Quark mini seems to have addressed all the shortcommings of the EZAA.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Icon Rogue set? I seem to recall they were meant for the voltage sag of alkalines. Simple to use two, one or tow modes if I recall correctly.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the Rogues today for the first time at a Radio Shack, of all places, and they're rather large and expensive for what they are. The single AA model is easily 4.5 inches long and about an inch in diameter. At that size you may as well carry a SureFire 6P, which is just a bit larger.

Part of the reason that I bought the MiNi AA is because of its size. I can carry it in my trouser pocket and will probably forget that it is there. My biggest concern is that it may make a trip or two through both the washer and dryer as it is so small that I will forget that it is in my pocket.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to consider the D10 as well.....you can ramp to any brightness you wish.

Last edited:

midside

Newly Enlightened
I spent hours and hours trying to find the 'perfect' light. Thank you everyone for the help but I am still without a light. Perhaps another user here can just sell me one of theirs? Anyone?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SA1 and for the price i really recommend it.....long runtime, tailstands with the included switch and boot installed, comes with a nice holster and lanyard....let me know if you would like to see pics of the holster and light together.......It ramps if you hold the top button and has a high, med, low, and of course strobe. In this link you will find beamshots and better views of the light. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246923

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-185/**NEW**--ITP-SA1/Detail

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,
I have spent all day here and I am at a point where I would like to ask for some advice. I have come close to a decision but I just couldn't find the 'perfect' flashlight. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thing is, most of use here use NiMH rechargables and if primaries (non rechargeables) are used, we (or at least i) tend to use lithiums as these wont leak and spoil the light.

I would only use alkalines if i know that im going to be using the light for quite a while e.g. 2 night fishing trip, where the light would be used more or less constantly and after the trip, i'd probably throw away the cells (after checking voltage levels of course) and switch back to my eneloops.

That being said, you arent going to get the most out of a light using alkalines.

Okay, i'd recommend you try a Jetbeam Jet I Pro v3.0, i have the v2.0 and its pretty impressive on maximum using a 1.2v eneloop and the minimum is pretty low too. I'd strongly recommend that you get 1 4 pack of eneloops and a charger (eco friendly too) and use alkalines only if you run out of power and have no spares (perish the thought!). Jetbeams can be gotten here.

Alternate is a Nitecore D10 from 4sevens which i have been looking at but cannot justify the purchase, i own the Nitecore EX10 R2 and i love the little light, incredibly pocketable using the aftermarket clip.

Good luck with your search and oh yeah, you didnt mention a budget in post #1

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I have the Nitecore D10 R2 and run it on alkalines. It's very bright when I want it to be and very low when I want it to be and using the dead simple push and hold of the button I can choose anywhere in between.

I do most often use it at only a bit more than its lowest setting where it runs a lonnnnnnng time on an alkaline battery. Sure, having it held on at max bright will eat a battery down in maybe twenty minutes but I can light up half my yard with it on max bright and it hardly ever needs to be used on that setting for me.

The D10 torch is solid and well knurled so it grips well and it's a great size for pockets. To mine I fitted the pocket clip which is a good tight one so it doesn't fall out of my pocket even if I'm upside down.

For a single AA alkaline torch, I can't think of anything better.

I also have the fenix L1D Q5 Premium which is reasonably bright and has two lower settings but it feels pretty slippery in my hands thus I won't carry it as an everydayer anymore.