Best Single AA Flashlight

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
My father wants a long-lasting, bright flashlight for Christmas. What are the best choices out there?

Michael

joshconsulting

Enlightened
What price range? How durable does it have to be? Do you want it to be 'floody' (light covers a wide area, but isn't effective on objects far away) or 'spot' (light focuses on a small area, effective for spotting objects far away but not as good for close up) or some combonation of both? A little more detail helps.

That being said, for a cheap overall light I'm a fan of http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28546. It's blazingly bright with a 14500 (seriously, do it. 2 14500s are $5, the charger is $8, and you'll never buy a AA again. And you can still drop one in when you need to), but it runs pretty bright with a AA.

Marduke

Flashaholic
That being said, for a cheap overall light I'm a fan of http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28546. It's blazingly bright with a 14500 (seriously, do it. 2 14500s are $5, the charger is $8, and you'll never buy a AA again. And you can still drop one in when you need to), but it runs pretty bright with a AA.

Recommending cheap Li-Ion with cheap Li-Ion chargers to a non-flashaholic with NO experience??

That's a :poof: just waiting to happen, and borderline irresponsible advice IMO.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What is your definition of best?
How much runtime?
What kind of output?

Something like the Nitecore EZAA could be a good choice if he wants an EDC light. If he wants something larger, the Eagletac lights could be a good choice too. These lights are simple to use and don't have the flashy modes, which could be better for a non flashaholic.

Ajay

Enlightened
Recommending cheap Li-Ion with cheap Li-Ion chargers to a non-flashaholic with NO experience??

That's a :poof: just waiting to happen, and borderline irresponsible advice IMO.

I agree with Marduke.

I recommend AA eneloops + charger and some good AA or 2xAA torchlight such as the Quarks, Nitecore D10, D20, EZAA, Fenix etc. At least keep the battery configuration simple. I know there is a "help me choose a light" checklist for this somewhere on CPF.

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe no one has mentioned UI yet. Is your father a 'gadget guy' that will be interested in learning a complicated UI? If he's anything like my dad, giving him a light with a complicated UI will just get it thrown at you the next time you see him... :laughing:

My dad is quite happy with a single-mode Deerelight dropin for his G2. He even figured out the EX10 I got him for backpacking--he just mashes the button until it's as bright as he needs. Anything more complicated than that earns me rants about how computers are destroying the world... :rolleyes:

For a general-purpose light, I would recommend sticking with something simple, like the EagleTac-style 2-mode interface (head tight for max, head loose for "general").

For batteries, I agree with Marduke. Unprotected Li-ions? VERY BAD idea. They probably won't go off like a grenade*, but they will probably end up as single-use batteries when the charger refuses to charge them (because they are over-discharged), and then what's the point?

Personally, my theory is that CR123As should actually be the non-flashaholic battery of choice. If you give a AA flashlight to a "normal" person, they are going to stick alkalines in it. That means that the batteries will rapidly drop out of regulation, leaving a dim, mostly worthless light that will stop working as soon as one or more of the batteries leaks and destroys it. CR123As, on the other hand, deal much better with high current, making the light more useable for longer on a set of batteries, and won't leak as they're going dead. They are also simpler than rechargeables, because you don't actually have to charge anything (which 99% of normal people don't want to deal with). The only problem is the expense, but you can get packs of decent CR123As for about $1.00 / battery online. For those prices, even my dad figured out how to order them online.

If you absolutely have to stick with AAs, then go with 2xAA, as 2 alkalines can stay in regulation much longer than 1. I recommend looking at selfbuilt's 2xAA round-up review to find something that does well on alkalines.

* But, then again, they might.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
As a light noob I chose to ask for a 2AA Quark and eneloops for Christmas. I decided it was the best simple option for me since I don't see the need for a little extra output an the hassle of li-ions.

I've spent months lurking trying to get knowledge and it was my favorite option FWIW.

I chose the 2AA Quark but I'm sure the Quark AA is just as good for somebody who wants a general use 1AA light at the expense of lumens and runtime benefitted with 2AA.

Last edited:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

+2

For a great AA light (even running 1.2v or 1.5v batteries) consider the Peak El Capitan. The light is simplicity itself, beautifully made with options to suit anyone.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'm a father and if my son had bought me the fenix L1D instead of me having to buy it I'd have been a very happy man. So simple to use and goes great on alkalines.

Actually, come to think of it, I'd want him to byuy me the new version of the similar LD10 cos the new knurling makes it grippier and it also has a clip. I find the L1D a little slippery in my leathery old father hands.

caesarkidd

Newly Enlightened
jetbeam RRT-0 with AA Extention Tube
i have 4 single AA flashlight...... but for me RRT-0 is the best, yet the bigger and the heavier than my others flashlight (NDIS, D10, olight i15)

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father wants a long-lasting, bright flashlight for Christmas. What are the best choices out there?

Michael
everyone has different needs, so there is probably no "one best" light.

long lasting in terms of durability or runtime? you got to be specific.

I think you'll find this round up review useful. and i believe all the lights in that review to be durable enough for most people's needs.
for more recent models, you might want to look at Jet-I PRO V3, RRT-0 w/ AA extender, Quark AA, Quark mini AA, etc all with their own pros & cons.

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
Boy oh boy - lots of info. Thank you so much. Several years ago I got into flashlights and followed this forum for several months learning about products, lights, etc. I bought several flashlights for friends (can't remember which model), and a Jetbeam MXIIX for myself. However, I rarely use flashlights and have minimally used my Jetbeam. In fact, I have an eneloop aa battery in the flashlight. I don't even know if my Jetbeam can use a more powerful battery (can it?).

Over Thanksgiving my cousin brought over his single aa flashlight that he said he bought from Walmart for $8 (I can't find such a flashlight at Walmart). It had a focussed beam of light that seemed quite bright , and was said to last for several hours on a single charge. When my father put together a wish list for Christmas and his birthday, he listed the one aa battery my cousin had and zinc-air rechargeable aa batteries.

Since I can't find the flashlight at Walmart, I returned to this forum to see what's the newest and greatest out there. Truly, I'm at a loss right now and don't know what my father really wants; I don't think he knows either. I like my Jetbeam, but I don't think it's too powerful and don't know how long the light lasts. The beam on the Jetbeam seems to be quite broad whereas my cousin's beam had a focussed light. I think my father liked the focussed beam. I used eneloops regularly (though mostly for my photography business), but know nothing about zinc air batteries. I'm sure my father's request for zinc air batteries isn't limited to flashlights.

I don't want to spend a lot on a flashlight (under $50), and while my father likes gadgets for a 73-year-old, his primary purpose is a good, small, functional flashlight. For reference, he was thinking about an $8 flashlight from Walmart. I want to do better than that, but don't have the time to do a bunch of research (though I find the research interesting).

Thoughts?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends how focused a beam we are talking about. If it's a light that's good, small and functional as mentioned, I'd propose Nitecore EZ AA (R2) too. But if you're thinking of a focusable beam's kind of focus, perhaps Romisen RC-29 II might do the trick. Adjustable bezel to choose flood and focused beams.

wacomme

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore EZ AA (R2) looks promising, but so does the Quark AA. Just for comparison, how do these two lights compare to my JetBeam MXIIX?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EZAA is a very simple light, I don't have it, but the similar EZ123 in neutral white. You have a low and a high, just screw the head in, engaging high requests some force though. The light is very small. There exists a Quark MiNi AA now, probably the better light with an XPG-R5 (floodier), but I wouldn't recommend this category of lights if it isn't for a keychain.

The Quark AA is quite nice, also available with an XPG-R5 now and on sale with the XPE-R2 (throwier). The regular UI is simple and offers 5 modes plus the disco-modes, turbo on tightening the head. Highly recommendable light, I don't know a better one by now!

As for the cells, offer your dad a package of Energizer L91 with the light. That's the battery to use if you don't want to mess with rechargeables. Alkalines are not recommended, they may kill the light by leaking, best solution are NiMh, but only if your dad already use some otherwise. No li-ion, the dangers are real, li-ion are batteries for those who know how to handle them.

Other good universal AA lights (I don't own) : Jetbeam Jet-I Pro, Fenix LD10, Nitecore Defender Infinity.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
Just get him a 2 pack of eneloops and a smart charger for batteries. You know that he will probably put in alkalines at one point instead of lithiums because of cost (you know it will happen eventually) so minimize that chance by getting him some proper rechargeable so he doesn't have a reason to bother with primaries. The last thing you want is him putting alkalines in and ruining his new light.