Best AA batteries for nice LED 2xAA flashlight

Wacki

Newly Enlightened
I have several 2xAA and 1xAA flashlights that run Cree and Luxeon Rebel LEDs.

What is the best rechargeable AA battery? Anyone done a side by side comparison?

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I think the majority opinion around here is to get Low Self Discharge (LSD) NiMH AA cells - either Sanyo Eneloops, or another "made in Japan" LSD NiMH AA (most of which are re-branded Eneloops) such as the Duracell DX1500 Made in Japan version.

There are other higher capacity cells, but the LSD type cells have the advantage of holding their charge longer, which makes them more convenient most of the time.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that if you're going to be constantly using your lights, then perhaps a higher capacity cell may be better for your personal needs. If the lights don't see all that much usage, then low self discharge cells would probably be better as you wouldnt have to worry that the cells have discharged too much.

that being said, i prefer eneloops cos they're LSD, just carry spares and you'll be fine.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
Very well said PeaceOfMind.

Eneloops are hard to find locally. The re-branded Eneloops by Duracell (called "Duraloops" here on CPF) can be found in CVS, RiteAid, Target, Walmart, etc. But make sure you get the white-topped Made in Japan one's.

They cost more at the drug stores, but they do go on sale in the weekly ad's, and if you also have the Sunday newspaper $2 off Duracell coupon, you can find some bargains. Keep your eye in the "Good Deals" sub-forum

I seen Walgreen's had them on sale this week for $9.99, so you can get a four pack for $8 with the coupon.

Here is a bit more complicated deal at Rite-Aid involving rebates....
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=206992

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest Sanyo Eneloops or the Duracell relabeled Eneloops, referred to as "Duraloops" on CPF.

There are performance advantages with them but I'm going to suggest them for one simple reason...

They do not leak.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the best rechargeable AA battery? Anyone done a side by side comparison?
Eneloop, without doubt. Yes, Silverfox. Check his NiMH test, linked in the Threads of Interest sticky in the Batteries and Electronics forum. But his tests (of either capacity or shelf life) don't perfectly describe how well they behave in daily use; many CPFers have found them to be rugged and reliable.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that if you're going to be constantly using your lights, then perhaps a higher capacity cell may be better for your personal needs. If the lights don't see all that much usage, then low self discharge cells would probably be better as you wouldnt have to worry that the cells have discharged too much.

that being said, i prefer eneloops cos they're LSD, just carry spares and you'll be fine.

I think that is a good statement. Personally I have been bored about NiMh cells who are practically empty only some month after fully charged.
Therefore I will replace all of my 2650 and 2700 mAh Duracell/GP cells with Eneloops. Slightly shorter runtime if comparing direct from fully charged, but longer runtime only a few weeks after charging. And while the non-LSD cells are dead a few months after charging the Eneloop has still around 80% of it's capacity after one year.

Regards, Patric