is the XP-G R5 worth the price over the XP-E-Q5 ?

colubrid

Enlightened
am wanting to get the Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 LED Flashlight with Cree XP-G R5 LED for $54.95 .

But the XP-EQ5 is $42.95

The cheaper one has 90 lumens and the more expensive is 115. What do you all think?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XP-G version and I personally think it is worth it. The difference in brightness may not be staggering, but I believe the XP-G is floodier, which is more pleasing for keychain use. If this does not meet your preference, by all means go for the Q5 and save a few bucks.

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's worth what you want to pay for it.
Some other points to consider:
the xpg (as an emitter) is actually cheaper than the xre's that preceeded it (which has been awesome for anyone who consumes emitters).
While the xpg is more efficient (longer run time) 105 lumens is really at the low end of potential output. At these low drive levels, are you getting much gain?
Can your eye tell the difference between 90 and 105 lumens (usually not).

Big issue is beam pattern, tint. Some great Q5 bins available, so you could get really nice tints. Conversely, the xpg, as stated may be pleasingly more floody, will have (marginally) less throw, and likely a greenish tint (very few xpg's have 'good' tints as of yet)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the XP-G version and I'd say it's worth it. The R5 XP-G l.e.d. is the reason I bought this titanium light. If I wanted a Q5 l.e.d., I'd go with an ITP A3 EOS for around $20. The tint is white and not green at all, and the tint bin is listed so there shouldn't really be any surprises there. What bugged me with mine is that the user interface went medium, low, high instead of the advertised low, medium, high. That is my only complaint with mine. The advantage of this light is that I don't have to use a larger light when I need a good amount of light. This will be great for backpacking when every ounce counts for both batteries and lights.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium is not a good heat conductor

The XP-G produces more light and LESS heat so the light and electronics should run cooler. You should also gain slightly more run time if that matters to you.

rmg

Newly Enlightened
I own the XP-G version and I'd say it's worth it. The R5 XP-G l.e.d. is the reason I bought this titanium light. If I wanted a Q5 l.e.d., I'd go with an ITP A3 EOS for around $20. The tint is white and not green at all, and the tint bin is listed so there shouldn't really be any surprises there. What bugged me with mine is that the user interface went medium, low, high instead of the advertised low, medium, high. That is my only complaint with mine. The advantage of this light is that I don't have to use a larger light when I need a good amount of light. This will be great for backpacking when every ounce counts for both batteries and lights.

Are you sure yours is an XP-G? I ask only because the other Illuminati threads I've read indicate only the XP-E Q5's had some M-L-H versions. If you haven't already, you might want to look at this thread and check the LED.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250532&page=3

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have both. Simply put, if you want more flood get the XP-G and if you want a little more throw get the XP-E. The XP-G is L-M-H and the XP-E is M-L-H. My XP-E has a little warmer tint than the XP-G but they are both good IMHO.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I'm really pleased with my new IlluminaTi. I went with the R5, and it was worth it to me. The greater floodiness was worth it to me. I don't need throw in a 1xAAA flashlight. I strongly prefer L -> M -> H. A

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure yours is an XP-G? I ask only because the other Illuminati threads I've read indicate only the XP-E Q5's had some M-L-H versions. If you haven't already, you might want to look at this thread and check the LED.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/250532&page=3

Yes, I'm sure it's an XP-G. I have other XP-G lights and the l.e.d.s match. I have an ITP A3 EOS and the IlluminaTi is noticeably brighter on all settings. The packaging it came with also specified it was the XP-G version. Mine's just a little different from everyone else's apparently. It's still a keeper though.