So I was out being stupid with my LED torches today

AusKipper

Enlightened
Hiya all,

I havn't been posting much recently, I have all the torches I need for now, waiting for some new tech (and more money) before I am in search of another (however, I can just barely resist the urge to buy two Quark RGB's so I can strobe red and blue...)

Anyhow, I went for a late night walk today, decided I would see how many of my torches I could use simultaneously.

I managed 4 with ease. I had the Fenix HP10 and Zebra H501 both on my head, a TK40 in one hand, and a TK20 in the other. I had the HP10 and TK40 on their fast flashing modes, Zebralight on strobe and TK20 on turbo.

Yes, I felt a bit like a walking disco, but the hillariouse thing was (and the only reason I am telling this boring story) is that EVERY oncoming car slowed to a complete crawl as it went past me, obviously trying to get a look at this lunatic that was walking around with flashing/strobing/turbo torches attached to himself!!. I must say it was also very disorientating!!

I did learn something of value though, and that is that the Fenix HP10 and the Zebralight H501 can both be worn at the same time in comfort, with ease, and they compliment each other EXTREMELY well!!

When I was back to being sensible I was walking around with the Zebralight on low and the HP10 off most of the time, and then when I wanted to spot something in the distance I would just pop the HP10 on high (not turbo, it wont remember turbo the stupid thing) and voila, hands free distant viewing (could I turn the Zebralight up to high? yeah sure, would it throw 1/2 as far as the HP10 on Turbo? no. Could I walk around with the HP10 on low? yeah sure, would it have the beautiful artifact free beam of the Zebralight? nope...)

Another advantage of this is setup is that when the Zebralight turns off abruptly without warning after its battery goes flat I have a second headlight on my head ready to go with a click of the button.

I didnt have the Fenix HP10 when I did my "what is the best torch I own for bush survival" thread ( https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/235543 ), but I think that title would still go to the Zebralight H501 anyway, but the HP10 would be a close second (of course I only own two decent headlights...)

If I could just own 1 headlight (of the two, but I still had my array of handhelds) I would take the Zebralight.

If I could just have 1 light, I guess I would have to take the HP10 for its extra throw (and runtime).

Zebralight is soooo much more comfortable to wear though....

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I felt a bit like a walking disco, but the hillariouse thing was (and the only reason I am telling this boring story) is that EVERY oncoming car slowed to a complete crawl as it went past me, obviously trying to get a look at this lunatic that was walking around with flashing/strobing/turbo torches attached to himself!!.

I almost spilled my dinner over my comp reading this. :crackup:

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for posting this. Now newcomers who wonder if they have problem with their affection to flashlights will know they don't really. :thumbsup:

Yapo

Enlightened
I would love to see pictures of this one....

lol i think a video might be better with all the strobing n all.

who knows maybe some alien sightings where caused by flashaholics on a high!

Get yourself a boombox n maybe u can start a trend for mobile clubbing/disco!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I felt a bit like a walking disco, but the hillariouse thing was (and the only reason I am telling this boring story) is that EVERY oncoming car slowed to a complete crawl as it went past me, obviously trying to get a look at this lunatic that was walking around with flashing/strobing/turbo torches attached to himself!!. I must say it was also very disorientating!!
lol, not necessarily. They could be thinking, "wtf? a major incident in front?:candle:"

corvettesR1

Enlightened
How were you actually able to resist buying a Quark RGB? I pulled the trigger the moment I spotted it .:oops:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i am thinking about dressing up as a cop car next halloween :) plenty time to make a suit.

cool story..

althou i need to say i find it unconfortable to walk around in fast strobe flashing.. i just dont like them blinkers at all. haha.

to be seen in traffic is good thing.. to cause cars to slow down for you as they see you is not so good thing.. its actually a accident waiting to happen.

i still need to buy h501w for myself.. i miss my old one.

and side note.. low mode in 501 lasts some 2-3 days in a row.. long walks you have if they run flat out on you all the time. (i tend to swap in fresh ones when i know i am going out and using them lights alot.. and i do cycle them for new or recharged ones once a week even if i havent used them that much.. i just wont leave out and abouts with empty battery in them.)

me acting stupid with flashlight last night story:
i was walking out of the post office to my car.. i parked bit far off.. and had a long walk of dimly lit parkin lot.. and was bored. half way in the parking lot i pulled out my keys and started once again fiddling with them.. especially with the flashlight.. i kept "thumbing" it on and off.. nasty habit i picked up when carrying a twisty light, itp eos.. and now habit contines with the quark mini..

by thumbing i mean: i kept pressing the light on and off with my thumb.. so in darkness i walk ahead with my thumb glowing red. -dim. decent and bright red..low medium high. over and over again..

and as i got to my car i see this girl smoking in cigarette by her car some 10 yards away from mine.. (very last second.. didnt notice her before ..if i had i wouldnt of played with the light that much) recognize her as one of the girls in the flowershop near by..

and as i got closer i see her laughing silently at me (shoulders nudging and smiling).. i needed to think fast and do something smart now that i have acted like a goof.. and kept acting like one.. as i didnt stop the thumbing ever after i noticed her! so i casually turned it on medium and shone it at her deliberatedly just to 1. see whose there 2. show its a flashlight 3. yeah i see you laughing there kiddo.

"oh thats the reason for your red thumb" -yeah.. just goofing off. (acted like i knew she was there all the time watching me and got into my car and drove off)

i guess i need to stop by that florist shop where she works and play with my flashlight as she comes to help me.. to see if she remebers me. hahah.

Qoose

Enlightened
I had a dream where I needed to grip my pistol with a light last night actually.

It's totally doable to have two or three lights in one hand. Be sure to do that if you get a set of quarks so you can walking around with blinding rainbow fists!:poof:

AusKipper

Enlightened
to be seen in traffic is good thing.. to cause cars to slow down for you as they see you is not so good thing.. its actually a accident waiting to happen.

Nah, not down this road, its fairly remote, so there is a car only once every 5-10 mins or so.

I am sure if there did happen to be two cars on the road at once the front one would not have slowed down to a crawl.

Or impersonating a squad car!

Lol, I already have strobes in my car I can impersonate a squad car with, however they are not very bright, and flash very slowly, so its fairly obvious i'm not.

Also obviously I dont impersonate squad cars down public roads!! i just like to play tricks on my friends when I pull into their driveway (or better yet behind them as they pull into their driveway!!)

I remember driving up the drive of my friends house once (lives in the country, drive is probably 1km long), normally you get greeted by 1 or 2 barking dogs, when I did it with the strobes on I got greeted by the family with a bewildered look on their face!!!

I am thinking if I brought two RGB's they would be MUCH brighter than my current "prankster" setup, and maybe more effective ;)

When I "want" to be noticed in a "legal" manner (only twice so far, both times bushfires), I have the amber rotating lights like everyone else :)

I am surprised noone has commented on the sensible side of the story (using a Zebra and HP10 in conjunction with each other), perhaps someone has already done a thread about it, and what I thought was a brand new idea someone else has already patented :p (Patent - H501P10)

Also:-

and as i got to my car i see this girl smoking in cigarette by her car some 10 yards away from mine.. (very last second.. didnt notice her before ..if i had i wouldnt of played with the light that much) recognize her as one of the girls in the flowershop near by..

and as i got closer i see her laughing silently at me (shoulders nudging and smiling).. i needed to think fast and do something smart now that i have acted like a goof.. and kept acting like one.. as i didnt stop the thumbing ever after i noticed her! so i casually turned it on medium and shone it at her deliberatedly just to 1. see whose there 2. show its a flashlight 3. yeah i see you laughing there kiddo.

"oh thats the reason for your red thumb" -yeah.. just goofing off. (acted like i knew she was there all the time watching me and got into my car and drove off)

i guess i need to stop by that florist shop where she works and play with my flashlight as she comes to help me.. to see if she remebers me. hahah.

I think someone has a crush on someone ;)