The best torch (I own) for nightime bush survival is the Zebralight H501

AusKipper

Enlightened
The Zebralight H501

And heres the long version.

After work today I decided to go check out some bushland near where I live, to scope out a camping trip. Anyway I looked around, couldnt find the camp site (I didnt take a map, but I was never lost, I just couldnt find the camp site) anyway, after a bit I decided to go home, then I decided I would do a little scenario with my EDC gear to see how well I could cope with just that.

Actual EDC:
Fenix TK10
Zebralight H501
Fenix LD01 SS
Benchmade Mini-Ambush
Leatherman Charge TTI
Mini First-Aid kit (useless, only has a couple of bandaids) but also in that container I have jammed a Bic lighter, tissues and a 1 meter'ish lenth of paracord.

Extra stuff i "conveniently" had (for testing purposes..)
Gerber Tracer headlight
Fenix TK40
Fenix TK20

What happened:

I pulled over on the side of the road, got out of the car and locked it, walked about 20m into the bush and started my "survival" scenario.

It had just been raining, so everything was soaked, but i got a fire going very easily with some paperbark and twigs. Initially I was using the Gerber headlight, which i found to be pretty much hopeless, so I soon swapped over to the Zebralight, and found that on low, its excellent for looking around for firewood etc close to your feet. It rendered the colores MUCH better than the Gerber, thus making it much easier to ensure I was trying to light the fire with dead wood and not green.

I then used the TK40 on turbo for a bit (total overkill, I could have used the TK10 on low just as well) to scout around to find some long bits of wood to start building a lean-to shelter with. After locating them I built myself a quick rudimentary shelter to keep the rain off etc (though it had stopped raining by then anyhow). Shelter building is where the Zebralight really came into its own, its far more difficult to build a shelter if your trying to juggle a hand held torch + sticks etc etc.

While I was off in the bush looking for wood I used the fire to enable me to find my way back to "camp". This very soon because problematic because I was only maintaining a very small fire, and most of the time it was not flaming. The TK40 tailstanding (and pointing at the upmost branches of the largest neighboring tree) on Beacon mode however.... that worked teriffically. I was able to wander a good 100m away from my camp and still locate it easily. I was always carefull to check behind me regularly as i was venturing out that I could still see the torch (also, to make sure noone nicked my very expensive torch..)

Now that I was leaving my TK40 at camp, i was scouting for building materials using the TK10 (on low to conserve battery). One thing the Zebralight just cannot do, even on high, is throw, so i was glad I had the TK10 for this. I would have used the TK20 for this but I had stolen 1 of the batteries for the Zebralight.

Anyway, I got a fire going, got dry (i started off wet) and built myself a nice cosy shelter that I would have been able to sleep in, had I not had to go to work tomorrow, which sadly I do.

So, top 10 lessons learned in dot point form:
1. Of all the torches I own, the one I need most in the bush is the Zebralight. I can do everything with it I need to, though I can do some things better with other torches. However, had I not had the others, I'm sure i still would have done OK, it would have taken a little bit longer to find good ridge poles and what not, but still..
2. The second best torch (assuming no H501) would be the TK20. Good color rendition, plus, due to the rubber grip, i can hold it reasonably well in my mouth.
3. Best secondary torch (assuming I do have the H501) would definitly be the TK40 for its bright beacon, and bright searching capabilities.
4. The first thing I will die of if I am stuck in the bush with my EDC is dehydration. I can cover fire and shelter.
5. I cant really remedy point 4 without carrying around a steel cup everywhere, which I dont see me doing.
6. I should give my Gerber Tracer to someone I dont like for Christmas. All of my other torches are wonderfull.
7. (This one is a lesson from way before today.. but the Bic is a new addition..) Using a lighter to light a fire is easy. Using a firesteel and striker is not (I have never successfully lit a fire with a steel and striker..)
8. The saw on my leatherman is too short to cut anything usefull.
9. If its just stopped raining, and your still 90% dry, dont sit on a wet log. Get the fire going first and try it out then sit.
10. The heat from a fire is only slightly more pleasant than the smoke from it is annoying.

strinq

Enlightened
Re: The best torch (I own) for nightime bush survival is...

After reading countless threads and reviews and experiences, i've come to the same conclusion.
A headlamp is a must for a lot of outdoor activities, followed my a thrower. Like the TS mentioned, you can do almost everything with a versatile headlamp like the Zabralights, only thing you can't do is see something far away which in most cases is not necessary.

I'm just waiting for the warm version of the H30, i don't get why zebralights didn't come out with that when they released the warm versions of the AA and 18650 lights...

Kestrel

Flashaholic

This, good sir, is a great experiment, thank you very much. I particularly like thinking of the aspect of finding good tinder with a light having poor color rendition - in addition, I am also imagining being wet & hypothermic and needing every small edge to get a fire going. I'll be reading your initial post thoroughly for a second time, great 'lessons learned' conclusion.
Anyway I looked around, couldnt find the camp site (I didnt take a map, but I was never lost, I just couldnt find the camp site)
When Thoreau was spending time in the Allagash wilderness in Maine (prior to writing 'Walden'), he had an Indian guide who insisted (on one or perhaps more than one occasion - it wasn't clear) that they weren't actually lost - they knew exactly where they were (i.e. right here). However, the camp was lost - i.e. where was the campsite? I enjoy thinking about the different perspective.:D

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened

I think he knew where he was, but was unable to find where the camp was, because he never were there.

Just an example: You are used to camp in a mountain named "X" and know every single tree there. Then a group of friends told you they will be camping in the "X" mountain and you wanted to pay a visit to them. It can happens you cant find your friends campbase, but you are not lost either.

Or it can be he couldnt be able to find his own campsite... :whistle:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

5. I cant really remedy point 4 without carrying around a steel cup everywhere, which I dont see me doing..

Gerber bottle liners work great. The zip top kind, not the ones with wire ties.

7. (This one is a lesson from way before today.. but the Bic is a new addition..) Using a lighter to light a fire is easy. Using a firesteel and striker is not (I have never successfully lit a fire with a steel and striker..)..

Put some cotton balls and Vasaline in your first aid kit. A little Vasaline on a cotton ball will start with the smallest of sparks, and burn well enough to get dry tinder going. Works good on blisters as well.

8. The saw on my leatherman is too short to cut anything usefull.

SAS wire saw is the best of the wire saws. A lot better, but more bulky is the Pocket Chain Saw. I've cut 6 inch diameter logs with this, with not much effort.

Great review.:twothumbs

AusKipper

Enlightened

I think he knew where he was, but was unable to find where the camp was, because he never were there.

Correct, I was on a fairly major road, I just couldn't find the turnoff to the camp. I found lots and lots of turnoffs onto small tracks (one of which i took in the end for the above experiment to get off the beaten track a bit) but no turnoff labeled "campsite" or similar.

Gerber bottle liners work great. The zip top kind, not the ones with wire ties.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking I may just add a plastic bag to my EDC, but that wont allow me to boil water. I dont really need it, the chance of me getting stuck in the bush with just my EDC is minimal. My chance of survival out there with my EDC would probably be well above average anyhow. (I know being above average wont save my life if i need that equipment, but its all I can hope to strive for without carrying around the BOB)

My EDC is geared towards what I need every day (opening boxes, pulling apart PC's, finding my way in the dark, urban power outages, making my lunch...) not towards wilderness survival at all, and I dont really plan to change that..

Put some cotton balls and Vasaline in your first aid kit. A little Vasaline on a cotton ball will start with the smallest of sparks, and burn well enough to get dry tinder going. Works good on blisters as well.

Thanks for the tip. My little first aid kit is allready stuffed full now, I just dont think there is room for that + steel and striker + lighter (which i wont be ditching any time soon..) I do have a flint and steel in my "kit" without tinder, I think I will test your suggestion and if it works i'll add it there.

SAS wire saw is the best of the wire saws. A lot better, but more bulky is the Pocket Chain Saw. I've cut 6 inch diameter logs with this, with not much effort.

I have never had any success with the "wiresaws", however I do have a pocket chainsaw in my "kit" and i agree it works extremely well but is too big/unneccessary for EDC. I also have a saw-back machete which works reasonably. The next additions to my kit are a folding saw (which should work really well :) ) and hammock and then I should be pretty much right.. (though I have been camping plenty of times with what I have and have done just fine anyway.. just minor tweaking now..)

Anyway, long story short, I think my EDC is fairly good, and dont plan to change it after the above experiment.

Another thing I EDC which I ALWAYS completly forget I have on me is a "swiss card" which has a magnifying glass (and other tools). Next time I go out in daytime I may try light a fire with that. Unlimited matches then ;) (though I think it will be too small).

polkiuj

Enlightened

After reading countless threads and reviews and experiences, i've come to the same conclusion.
A headlamp is a must for a lot of outdoor activities, followed my a thrower. Like the TS mentioned, you can do almost everything with a versatile headlamp like the Zabralights, only thing you can't do is see something far away which in most cases is not necessary.

I'm just waiting for the warm version of the H30, i don't get why zebralights didn't come out with that when they released the warm versions of the AA and 18650 lights...
It's OUT!! Mwahaha!

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another thing I EDC which I ALWAYS completly forget I have on me is a "swiss card" which has a magnifying glass (and other tools). Next time I go out in daytime I may try light a fire with that. Unlimited matches then ;) (though I think it will be too small).

I have a Tool Logic card in my wallet with a magnifying glass - but it is way too small. It is only around 1/2" in diameter and focusing the amount on sunlight that falls on a 1/2" circle onto a small spot would be not enough I wouldn't think. If you had a 2" magnifying glass (or bigger of course) and focused the sunlight falling onto that down to a fairly small point then you would probably have enough heat to light a fire. Then again a small lighter is smaller than a 2" magnifying glass and can light a fire at night.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Tool Logic card in my wallet with a magnifying glass - but it is way too small. It is only around 1/2" in diameter and focusing the amount on sunlight that falls on a 1/2" circle onto a small spot would be not enough I wouldn't think. If you had a 2" magnifying glass (or bigger of course) and focused the sunlight falling onto that down to a fairly small point then you would probably have enough heat to light a fire. Then again a small lighter is smaller than a 2" magnifying glass and can light a fire at night.

Get a Fresnel lens the size of a credit card and toss it in your wallet. They work great. Can sometimes find them in book shops, but are online as well.

AusKipper

Enlightened

Get a Fresnel lens the size of a credit card and toss it in your wallet. They work great. Can sometimes find them in book shops, but are online as well.

Credit card sized Fresnel lens has been added to my "to buy" list :)

No doubt it will be just like my swiss card and I will consistently forget that I have it.

Back in the day when I just started carrying a Leatherman I remember several times hunting around in the shed looking for a screwdriver then remembering... oh, I have one in my pocket. Now I never do that. Hopefully if I remember to use my Swisscard more often, I will stop forgetting I have that too.

Maybe I should make a routine, every day for a week i'll pull it out, check all the tools are present, and put it back. Then, hopefully after that I'll remember I have it :p

AusKipper

Enlightened

Great experiment!

You might want to check out the Platypus bottles. They roll up and can hold quite a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009RNVB4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Both Kershaw and Gerber make really decent cheap light folding or retractable saws.

Thanks. A Gerber Gator Pack Saw GR9481 is on the to-buy list.

As for the water, the main issue is boiling it after extracting it from stagnant ponds etc, so it really needs to be something metallic. Ray Mears would whip something up from wood or something... i'm sure I would probably do the same before I died, or simply drink it straight from the water holes without boiling and hope I dont get sick. As it was just a drill I didnt bother risking it.

Next time I go i'm going to carve a bowl out of a thickish green branch with my EDC (probably both the Leatherman and the Benchmade), put some water in it, and see if it boils ;)

Because it had just been raining in this particular case the water in the puddles was probably fresh enough anyway...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great experiment!

You might want to check out the Platypus bottles. They roll up and can hold quite a bit.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009RNVB4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Both Kershaw and Gerber make really decent cheap light folding or retractable saws.

Those are great. Pick up some Micropur MP1 tablets. They are packaged individually, so easy to put one or two in your med kit.

Write a list of everything in your med kit and that you edc. Keep the list in your wallet and read it daily for a week. After that, pull it out and read it once per month. Do the same with your BOB but keep the list with the BOB. If you ever need it, the first thing you do is read the list and inventory what you have.

AusKipper

Enlightened

Those are great. Pick up some Micropur MP1 tablets. They are packaged individually, so easy to put one or two in your med kit.

Write a list of everything in your med kit and that you edc. Keep the list in your wallet and read it daily for a week. After that, pull it out and read it once per month. Do the same with your BOB but keep the list with the BOB. If you ever need it, the first thing you do is read the list and inventory what you have.

Dont worry, Everything in my BOB is well and truly inventoried :)

I did that long ago so if it was ever stolen/lost i would be able to re-buy everything without forgetting critical items. I can also tell the insurance company what they are buying if it was stolen.

It also helps because I am regularly pinching stuff out of it to use (i know, i know, i should buy extras and try not to steal stuff..) and I can go through it now and again (normally when I am swapping batteries over) and re-check everything is present.

It also came in handy a few months ago, when the news put out an alert stating everyone should have a list of items (missing lots of items.. including water!!!) incase they need to stay at home for 2 weeks (swine flu) I could send out my inventory to people that asked me what they should put in their bags (i'm well known in my circle of friends for being over-prepared lol, so i'm the go-to person for all things preparedness).

I did manage to delete 3/4 of my list before handing it out.. but even so there was still 3x as much stuff as the article recommended.

As for the purification tabs, the reason I dont have any of them is they have a shelf life, and I hate everything with a shelf life with a pashion :p

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

AusKipper said:
I would have used the TK20 for this but I had stolen 1 of the batteries for the Zebralight.

cool! think that having lights that use the same type of cells makes things a lot more versatile :D

AusKipper

Enlightened

cool! think that having lights that use the same type of cells makes things a lot more versatile :D

lol, no actually, that was a bit of severe battery mismanagement. I EDC my Zebra, I dont EDC my TK20 or any other AA light. As it turned out, the battery in my Zebra was flat (I hadnt locked it out last time I put it in my pocket, or I had used it more than I thought since last recharge) so if I hadnt had any of the lights I "conveniently had for testing purposes" I would not have had my Zebralight either.

I do the same with my TK10 as well, use it till it starts flickering (normally about 2 weeks) and then change over the battery. If I get unlucky and get stuck just before I have swapped the battery I am going to end up out there without much light.

I purchased some extra batteries last week, so I can establish a good swap routine (probably weekly) whether the batteries in my EDC are flat or not, they will be swapped and tested then.

*edit*
I'm not disagreeing that lights using the same cells are more versatile, that is certainly true, I am just saying all my EDC's use different cells..

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only good flashlight I own is my Fenix LD20. Multimode, and good color rendition. second best is my mini Mag-LED. I do admit that it picks up reds slightly better than the LD20, tho.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should not fully discharge Li-ion batteries, this goes for cellphones as well. Batteryuniversity.com

AusKipper

Enlightened

You should not fully discharge Li-ion batteries, this goes for cellphones as well. Batteryuniversity.com

Im not sure how far "fully discharged" the batteries are ones it (the TK10) starts flickering. I do know that i'm not supposed to full discharge Li-Ion though, because it shortens the battery life.. Anyway, new batteries should arrive next week and it will happen no longer.

All my other batteries are NIMH anyway.

Latest posts