My Maglite 3D needs modding!

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
I think its about time, that my Mag 3D gets upgraded with some serious LEDs! :twothumbs

Whats the best i can fit in a 3D mag?

If anyone know some good shops within EU, i would be very happy! Ordering from USA or China, usually takes 2-30 days for the items to arrive.

Scourie

Enlightened
The 3D is perfect for a direct drive SSC P7. To get the best out of it you'd also need high capacity Ni-mh batteries. It's a quick and simple mod that'll give you 900 approx lumens to play with.

Rob

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
The 3D is perfect for a direct drive SSC P7. To get the best out of it you'd also need high capacity Ni-mh batteries. It's a quick and simple mod that'll give you 900 approx lumens to play with.

Rob

Yea, but thats unregulated.. Wont it be noticeble dimmer over time?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a regulated dropin THIS is the best available today, though not that bright as direct drive SSC P7, but with much longer runtime. Compared to stock 3D it will be "no comparison" anyway!
I think a direct driven LED will be noticable dimmer over time though not very much if using NiMh batteries.

Regards, Patric

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
If you want a regulated dropin THIS is the best available today, though not that bright as direct drive SSC P7, but with much longer runtime. Compared to stock 3D it will be "no comparison" anyway!
I think a direct driven LED will be noticable dimmer over time though not very much if using NiMh batteries.

Regards, Patric

Yea, ive looked at that one - but its not in stock :( I hate waiting :D

Does it have a good heat transfer?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, ive looked at that one - but its not in stock :( I hate waiting :D

Does it have a good heat transfer?

According to my experience Malkoff dropins have a supreme heatsinking allowing continious run (if using NiMh) with no visible diminishing until the real drop of the batteries (=time for recharge).
But they work well with alkalines also, but not with really the same stable output. You can anyway expect hours of run with only a slight drop even with alkalines.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
According to my experience Malkoff dropins have a supreme heatsinking allowing continious run (if using NiMh) with no visible diminishing until the real drop of the batteries (=time for recharge).
But they work well with alkalines also, but not with really the same stable output. You can anyway expect hours of run without a
significant drop even with alkalines.

Regards, Patric

Ill consider those then :) Should give loads of runtime on 3x 12Ah.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill consider those then :) Should give loads of runtime on 3x 12Ah.

I have 12Ah batteries (Titanium) to as well my Maglite 5D (with Malkoff P7 dropin), Maglite 3D (with the dropin I suggested) and to Maglite 2D (with the predecessor Malkoff P4). :thumbsup:

Regards, Patric

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like my terraluxs' as much as my p7s' or malkoff.

not as bright, or as good quality, but a serious upgrade for a stock 3D mag.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, but thats unregulated.. Wont it be noticeble dimmer over time?
If you use NiMH it is not noticeably dimmer over time. My 3C Mag P7 went from near full brightness to dead in about 3 seconds though.
If you use alkaline a DD P7 light will not give you full brightness and will dim over time.

I did a google for Terrralux TLE-6EXB region Denmark and came up with this.
http://luna5.dk/images/pdf/Prisliste.pdf
It is 140 LED lumens, much less than the 700+ lumens of a P7 mod or 260 OTF lumens of a Malkoff but much more than the 30 lumens of a stock Mag.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use NiMH it is not noticeably dimmer over time. My 3C Mag P7 went from near full brightness to dead in about 3 seconds though.
If you use alkaline a DD P7 light will not give you full brightness and will dim over time.

Yes, maybe I was wrong, I had the experience with MagCharger in my mind but that is an incan, which will diminish more with a lowered voltage than a LED.

stienke

Enlightened
No offence, but thats kinda.. stupid. You have the room for D-cells that give you more than 4 times the capacity - but you want to use AA's?

Why stupid ? , less weight , fast charging and hold for month's theire charge.
:nana:

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Why stupid ? , less weight , fast charging and hold for month's theire charge.
:nana:

You have a maglite and care about the weight? :huh:

Charging D or AA cells.. its the same. Youre still going to charge at 0.5-0.8C or so, to get the NDV.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have 12Ah batteries (Titanium) to as well my Maglite 5D (with Malkoff P7 dropin), Maglite 3D (with the dropin I suggested) and to Maglite 2D (with the predecessor Malkoff P4). :thumbsup:

Regards, Patric

I have a 4 X D cell Maglite. Would I use the same drop-in?