8.3 - 8.8 Quake reported in Chile/Tsunami warning

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heard on our late news that there was a big earthquake in Chile measuring from 8.3 to 8.8.

Pacific Tsunami Center reported a 10ft (ten foot) tsunami was generated at the buoys near Chile.

Hawaii residents should keep an ear out over the next 12 hours for any news of a tsunami heading toward the island chain.

Hope people there are okay.

KHNL (NBC affiliate) reports the following on their website:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/HI/Honolulu-weather/severe-weather/local-alerts.html?zcode=z6286

ALERT 1 - Tsunami Watch / Warning
A TSUNAMI ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL
Issued: Friday, February 26, 2010 10:51 PM HAST
Expires: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:51 AM HAST

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Re: 8.3 - 8.8 Quake reported in Chile

I started loading the Enloops in the charger and checking the primaries with the ZTS tester while I was watching the news.

Hmmm, lots of lights and batteries..... no food. :ohgeez:

EDIT updated from ADVISORY to WARNING

Number of Active Alerts: 2

ALERT 1 - Tsunami Watch / Warning
A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FOR THE
Issued: Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:49 AM HAST
Expires: Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:49 AM HAST
Details
ALERT 2 - Coastal Flood Warning
A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4:00AM HST SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 27
Issued: Friday, February 26, 2010 3:39 PM HAST
Expires: Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:00 AM HAST

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
OT: Tsunami alert

I read in the news just now that Chile was hit with a magnitude 8.8 earthquake. Our hearts go out to the people of Chile. As a result of this quake, a tsunami alert has gone out to Hawaii and other Pacific regions. Coastal sections of Hawaii will be evacuated, according to the news. Don, here's hoping you and your family stay safe.

cl0123

Enlightened
Aloha Tsunami Warning

Tsunami Warning due to the Chile earthquake.

Saw something on MSNBC the other day about 1-million people may lose power due to ice storms frosting up the up-north area and recharged all batteries that I have just the other day. Wish I did not forget to buy the AA Duracells the other day. Only 1 or 2 more left, but then there are dozens of Eneloops lying around.

Wife went out to get some more cash, just in case. She also promised the kids some Starbucks muffins and brownies for breakfasts today.

Tsunami, if indeed, is estimated to hit around 11am HST or about 4.5 hours from now. Weather is surprisingly pleasant (just like the Samoan earthquake) and nice! If anything happens we still have plenty daylight hours to work with.

With Aloha,

Clarence

arjay

Newly Enlightened
Re: 8.3 - 8.8 Quake reported in Chile

I heard of the news earlier on the day. The Philippines was mentioned to also be on alert of a probable tsunami but I'm not too worried since I'm located on the other side of the Island. Although I'm not taking any chances, my family is ready to bug out if needed be. Stay Safe guys! :grouphug:

loszabo

Enlightened
Re: OT: Tsunami alert

This just came in:

8.2-foot tsunami wave expected to strike Hilo, Hawaii, at 11:05 a.m. local time (4:05 p.m. ET) - Pacific Tsunami Warning Center /via @BreakingNews (Twitter)

I'mGatMan!

Newly Enlightened
Tsunami warning for Hawaii...

Due to an 8.8 magnitude quake in Chile, Hawaii is under a tsunami warning.

Smoke up for you, Don, and anyone else here who is either in Hawaii or Chile, or has family or friends in either.

Stay high, stay dry, stay safe! Good luck.

Jason

robintosh

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...

I'm in Santiago, Chile, the quake was HUGE.... HUGE!!. I was almost dropped off the bed, it's incredible that almost all buildings are standing and in good condition. we had no electricity only for around 4-5 hours. all basic services are being restored at the time, people are calm and emergency services at full load, but working fine.

besides the power of the movement, i was impressed by the huge sound that came out of the ground and buildings. if anywone near was shouting i couldn't hear a thing besides the impressive sound produced by the quake.

It's good that I had my 6D Mag next to me!!!

as always keep your lights ready and at hand.

communications are coming back and are mostly saturated, if anyone is trying to reach someone by phone it could take a while...

For people worried about the wave/tsunami. There was reported an 8 meter wave at the quake site, fortunately up to now there is no reported loss of life, but some houses were destroyed by the water. This is the higher and most powerful wave that is so other places are receiving a smaller wave. Other islands that have already been hit don't report a huge tsunami, more like a big wave... at the juan fernandez islands there are a couple people reported missing after being taken away by the water.

stay safe...

Robinson

makapuu

Enlightened
Just got off the road.
Supermarkets and fast food places are packed.
Many gas stations have ran out of gas and closing.
Those that are still open have very long lines.

vali

Enlightened
I heard in the news that was the 2nd strongest earthquake ever registered. Thats a lot !. They said too that waves can reach 6 to 8 meter high in Hawai.

Be carefull, guys!

Anak

Newly Enlightened
Looking for Info on Google it appears Hilo was hit in 1960 and before that in 1946.

I hope those events have resulted in better preparations for today.

Do what you can to be safe.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily the USGS pinged the earthquake at 20miles deep, so the local damage was relatively little for the size of the quake (at least from what little I've heard so far).

Though the Pacific Islands are in for some choppy seas it sounds like. Stay dry.