8.3 - 8.8 Quake reported in Chile/Tsunami warning

makapuu

Enlightened
The sirens just sounded again.
It's about a half hour away before the first surge is expected to hit.
The weather here is picture postcard perfect.
It's a strange feeling knowing what is looming towards us.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sirens just sounded again.
It's about a half hour away before the first surge is expected to hit.
The weather here is picture postcard perfect.
It's a strange feeling knowing what is looming towards us.
Be safe bud. The only station carrying any info on this is a Spanish station. Sad.

f50fan

Newly Enlightened
we're still waiting here. seems like its about 20 minutes late, however there is some movement in the smaller more focused river inlet areas. water did recede and looks like its starting to slowly creep back in around hilo.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching the USTREAM APP on iPhone. 3 foot. Not the 6 they were thinking. Boats are coming back in. Looking good for the islands from these live reports from local Chenal 2 HI.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prayers and Best Wishes for our friends in Hawaii!

Don, Maxspeeds and Bighonu - and others I may not be aware of who reside in the beautiful Hawaiian Islands - we are thinking about you and praying for you as the warning of the tsunami becomes closer to reality.

May it pass you by harmlessly!! Godspeed!

:grouphug:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Re: Prayers and Best Wishes for our friends in Hawaii!

And Good Luck to our friends in Chile, also.

:candle:
_

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Re: 8.3 - 8.8 Quake reported in Chile

Looks like it will have been a non-event.

Just a trial run.

Next time you can have the food on hand too.

I was able to hit the stores before the rush, by 3 AM some 24-HR stores and a lot of gas stations were packed.

Looks like we will come out OK :thumbsup:

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened

I live near the ocean and our family camped up a ridge this morning/afternoon. Luckily everything was very uneventful.

scout24

Flashaholic

My Aunt and cousin live in Kamuela, and are pretty high up, so she should be fine. Good luck to all who live closer to the water, and those in Chile. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard in the news that was the 2nd strongest earthquake ever registered. Thats a lot !. They said too that waves can reach 6 to 8 meter high in Hawai.

Be carefull, guys!

The strongest earthquake ever registered hit this same area in 1960 and was a 9.5. To put the magnitude of this 8.8 in perspective, this 8.8 earthquake was 500 times more powerful than the recent 7.0 earthquake in Haiti. Luckily, the buildings were made to handle large earthquakes in Chile this time so damage was much less than compared to Haiti. It seems as though large earthquakes are becoming more frequent. I wonder how long until California suffers the effects of the big one predicted within the next 30 years.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well that was underwhelming,,

btw when one place gets hit with a 9 and another gets a 7 or 8, it's not a good description of how hard the earthquake actually felt; the 7 could've been more violent than the 9 or 8, since these numbers are based also on the amount of land mass moved; so a smaller movement of more territory can register higher than a very large movement of a smaller land mass, such as Haiti..so, "100 times greater than.." may not translate to a "worse" earthquake, just one of more area. Not such a great system for the layman, good for the siesmologists I guess..

I heard from the news guy in Hawaii that the only damage reported was from Ventura California (here) but I don't know what it was..the ocean had gone to a lower tide than usual, but is now coming back..

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Thank god, tsunami passed here in hawaii.

Were thankful that the tsunami didn't hit us here in hawaii today as officials cancelled the tsunami warning. Off course my LL P7 and X2000 are in standby since this morning just in case but it's great the tsunami passed away.

duboost

Enlightened
Re: Thank god, tsunami passed here in hawaii.

:thumbsup: had everything ready also. It was pretty nuts watching the water recede and come back in Hilo Bay though :eek:. Thought we were gonna see something when that started happening, but luckily no damage

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think we have a member from Santiago. Anyone recall who that is? Hope all is well. Japan should be concerned. I've heard it is not uncommon for a quake to occur on the opposite side of the "ring of fire" after a strong one.

Geoff

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everything seems well (at least in my small corner). Thanks for your prayers, run4jc and everyone else. Today was a good dress rehearsal :grin2: for the real thing. I think I need to buy more primary 123's. :D

fyrstormer

Banned

Yeah, I heard they were having a Tsunami Party out there, everyone up in the hills having a good old time waiting for the end to come. I tell you what man, that's how I want the world to end, with a big party and a quick finish.

Obviously that's not what happened this time though ;), but as you said, it was a good dress rehearsal.

nisshin

Enlightened
Japan should be concerned. I've heard it is not uncommon for a quake to occur on the opposite side of the "ring of fire" after a strong one.
Japan may have set off the Chile quake; Okinawa had a big one just days before: News On Japan - M6.9 Quake Jolts Okinawa Prefecture. Also the tsunami was only 10cm: News On Japan - 10cm Tsunami Wave Hits Japan.

Edit: Evening television is predicting some areas will be hit by 2 meter tall waves.

Edit2: The government evacuated 320,000 people: Japan Today - Tsunami Reaches Japan's Pacific Side.

Last edited: