Revised light search for best light NOT under $50

jbrett14

Enlightened
I can't believe I am doing it, but thanks to you guys - no seriously, thank you - I am now justifying the cost of my next light to be, not "less than $50", but up to around the $150 mark.

But I need more help.

Here are the things that are important to me:

1) Regulation - I hate lights that do not maintain a FLAT constant level of brightness.

2) Throw\Spill being both important, with an edge toward throw.

3) Simple UI - 2 or 3 modes is just fine. I don't need any blinking features. I need it SIMPLE

4) Runtime

Thus far I have been impressed with what I have read and seen of these models:

Fenix TK30 - the TK40 looks fantastic but I don't think I would like the UI at all and I am too uncertain about wanting to change out 8 AA's in the field.
JetBeam M1X
EagleTac M2C4 (M2XC4?)
Olight M30 - However, it's regulation graph turned me off.

I know there are LOTS of other comparable lights from other makers and I would love to hear from all of you as to what you might recommend with my preferences in mind. Your experience is worth a lot.

I am hoping to hear from those who actually use their lights in the woods, trails, fields, etc. - my intended primary use. I'll need it to light up animals on land (moose, bear, etc.) while I am in my kayak, up to 200 yards away (throw), but sometimes only 10 yards away (flood). I'll also need it for general hiking purposes.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
Other lights I have seen but would like to hear opinions about:

SolarForce Masterpiece
SolarForce L1200
LumaPower MVP
JetBeam RRT-1
UltraFire WF-1000L
Tiablo ACE-G
SpiderFire
TrustFire
UltraFire
Xtar

Last edited:

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Hey, well just figured I would add what I can for ya. I currently have a SF E2DL (200L). I think it would fit what you are looking for. 2 cell with 2 modes of use. First is the 200L for 2hours and the second click is 5L for 76hours. has a pocket clip and is a great light, I currently EDC it and love it! Sorry I can't give any other suggestions. As far as woods use, I can say that it will shoot a beam out there. From our back door accross the golf course to the neighbors house is over 100yards and you can see the light reaching their house. I also like having the 5L option for when you need more runtime.

Last edited:

lurcher man

Newly Enlightened
Hi,currently use a Dereelight DBS V3 out in the feilds [lamping rabbits].I can easily spot the wildlife at 200+yds.It is fitted with the q4 5a/b pill [really nice tint for the greenery unlike the blue light of the r2]Has nice spill,not to much & not to bright.I use 1 x18650 batt & would say you would get about 90mins constant use before batt needs changing [light stays constant until reaches discharge level,then light flashes]The pill i have fitted has 3 light levels,low medium & high.Its a very nice light,easy to use,fits in a pocket.Iam no expert in these things but from my experience out in the feild,which ever light you go for i would always go for a warm tint LED for use in the feilds/woods.
Hope this helps you out.

wingnut86

Banned
How about the setup I wish I could afford...

This... + This... + This...

Or a Surefire E2D LED Defender...

Or a Malkoff MD2($50) + M60W($60) + Lens($4) + hi/lo switch ring($22)...

I know the XP-G isn't quite a spot type light, but I've noticed that my EagleTac with XP-G is bright enough that it will put enough light down field in the woods that it is fairly useful. Not the right tint though.

I would also recommend an incan or warm/neutral tinted LED for outdoors it's a world of difference compared to cool white led.

This last August I was walking from a fishing spot at night with a buddy, I had my 2D Mag with 6x NIMH and 5Cell bulb with OP reflector, and my stock Surefire G2 as backup, and my buddy had my MTE SSC P7, and to be honest, the 120-ish lumen incan was far more effective than the 350-ish lumen LED. The creamy white tint of the SSC P7 which is much nicer than blueish CREES, was honestly horrible. My buddy ended up using my G2 instead which is only 65+ lumens...It's hard to beat an Incan in the woods. Neutral white/warm leds come close though.

I changed my mind, I feel this light will be really good for what you need in the woods...The others I mentioned would also be nice to have. This ET will have good throw, very bright, good spill, useful modes, can be 5 brightness settings, or 4 + strobe, user can change it to how you want it. good size, good regulation, compatible with 18650 OR CR123A.

Moose you say?? Where in Michigan are you from?? You can PM it if you wish.

Last edited:

pwatcher

Enlightened
I own Jetbeam M2S and Olight M30, and for output and simple battery configuration (unlike Fenix TK40), you'd be able to throw a beam an awfully long way!

Brigadier

Enlightened
For $150, here is my recommendation:

LumensFactory Seraph SP-9 modular system with a D36 mini turbo head. You can get LED and incan pills for it, so you can tailor it to your needs.

It will run on 3XCR123 or 2X18500.

I have mine set up with the D36 head running an HO-9L incan head. It throws as far as my RRT-1, but the color makes details easy to see where as the LED washes them out.

So, for $150 you could set yourself up on a modular system with a few AW Li-Ion cells and a charger.

YMMV

jbrett14

Enlightened
Moose you say?? Where in Michigan are you from?? You can PM it if you wish.

Lapeer, MI

No, there are no moose around here, as you know. :) However, my favorite camping\kayaking\hiking spots are in the Ontario northwoods, north of the Soo.

You can check out some of the wildlife that I have encountered up there on my youtube vids. I have about a dozen short video clips here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jonnyvids14?feature=mhw4#p/u/7/I4pQtj3Q-D0

I also have some great pics of flying squirrels gliding down at me. but since this only happens at night, I have yet to get videos of this. I am hoping that my new light will help this problem. :)

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
Lapeer, MI

No, there are no moose around here, as you know. :) However, my favorite camping\kayaking\hiking spots are in the Ontario northwoods, north of the Soo.

You can check out some of the wildlife that I have encountered up there on my youtube vids. I have about a dozen short video clips here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jonnyvids14?feature=mhw4#p/u/7/I4pQtj3Q-D0

I also have some great pics of flying squirrels gliding down at me. but since this only happens at night, I have yet to get videos of this. I am hoping that my new light will help this problem. :)

I'm in the Soo...Thought maybe you were from the UP because you mentioned the Moose. A nice bright sturdy light looks like it's a must for what you do.

wingnut86

Banned

This is one reason I can't recommend the Fenix TK20 that others have in your other thread. It makes noise and attracts bats, had a bad experience because of this...Although the squirrels will do this regardless :shakehead

jbrett14

Enlightened
I'm in the Soo...Thought maybe you were from the UP because you mentioned the Moose. A nice bright sturdy light looks like it's a must for what you do.

In the Soo eh? I'm assuming on this side of the border. I'll bet you get to see your share of wildlife. Ever go up to the provinical parks?

Yes, I want a good quality light that is simple to use and one that has a nice flat runtime.

For some reason the M1X keeps me very interested. However, the "doughnut" center is a concern of mine. It is hardly noticeable in some beamshots, while in others it is obvious.

Also, I am curious if this light would have the right tint for my use.

jbrett14

Enlightened
This is one reason I can't recommend the Fenix TK20 that others have in your other thread. It makes noise and attracts bats, had a bad experience because of this...Although the squirrels will do this regardless :shakehead

Ha ha! No, I don't want any bat problems while trying to photograph, etc. I had kind of already ruled this light out anyway.

Trying to decide now between the higher powered 400+ lumen lights. I think I have also ruled out the ET M2C4 light - I don't think I would like it's screwed on switch end.

The Olight M30 looks very interesting to me because of it's size, but based on one graph I saw, it may not have the flat regulation I am hoping for.

I am also looking at the Fenix TK30.

Cleron

Newly Enlightened
MVP (3xCree) is a great light, good balance, average run time, older light so it's output is a little behind some of the newer lights. Down side is that it's probably about twice as big as you want, and I doubt it would take too many drops in a lake. I could be wrong about that, but it's not exactly sold as a submersible light.

UI allows you to change from HI to Lo in 2 clicks of the middle button, and back again. 1 click from low to strobe, 3 from high to strobe. You change modes fast enough to avoid the strobe, and even switch modes while the light is off if you remember what it was set too. It's viable & easy by your side or in the over head tactical hold, but you do need to hold the light closer to the head if you sill want to retain the ability to switch modes.

I'd never sell mine, that's how much I love it despite the fact I have brighter lights that throw better, or produce more flood. It's just a solid all rounder, witch puts it a bit behind most others in one area or another. Still I love mine, hell at this point I've probably talked about this light so much that I must be close to being the official MVP fan boy of CPF ;)

Is it the light for you.... well personally I would look at some of the smaller lights first, you may even want to look at lights that can be fully submersed to a depth of XX to cover your self. After all you want something that won't let you down.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Still looking.

The Fenix TK30 looks like the one I am leaning toward. However, I have not seen much of any runtime graphs of this light. Although the light offers more modes than I need, I do like that you can just set it in "camping mode", for example, and just use two light outputs.

I really like lights with "perfect" beams of light (no "doughnut" holes).

Am also wondering if anyone would recommend any Streamlight lights that are close to this brightness, durability, cost?