Good CR-123A? And Fenix ta 30

Max53

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i am new to this forum, i did search for this question but could not find an answer that suited me so here is my question(s).

Who makes good rechargeable cr123 3v high capacity batteries and charger, it sounds stupid but i have been searching for hours and i cant find ANYTHING other than cheap chinease crap! Also where can i get them? I would like a UK based seller.

Second question, have you guys ever had any bad experiences with the Fenix TA 30, or heard anything bad? Thanks a lot!!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium-ion rechargeable cells are usually rated at 3.6/7 volts. Fresh off the charger, they usually reach approximately 4.2 volts. You can find "3.0v" Li-ion, but they are greatly reduced in capacity, usually larger in length or diameter (may not fit) and are very inneficcient. This is largely because of the regulator circuit in them that drops the voltage from 3.6-4.2 to "around" 3.2 volts... maybe...

Also, there are no real "high capacity" li-ion RCR123 or 16430 with real capacities of greater than ~700 milliamps. I'm not sure if the Fenix TA30 uses 3 CR123, but if it does, you may be able to fit two 18500 Li-ion cells in it. The voltage should still be below the 9v of primaries, but you get rechargeable's. 18500's will also have greater capacity by far than any RCR123/16430's, meaning longer runtimes. (3 x RCR123/16430 @ ~2100mA, or 2 x 18500 @ ~3200mA).

Most Fenix lights do not like to use Li-ion, and lose the use of lower output modes, as the driver just "direct-drives" the LED's (note: only really applicable in 1 cell lights, all multiple cell lights, excluding 2 AA, will use a buck converter, to drop and regulate voltage and current.) Nor do most Fenix primary battery lights have the interior diameter to fit Li-ion batteries, which are in most cases larger in diameter than their primary cousins.

Fenix has a solid reputation here on CPF, and i have not seen any complaints about the TA30, so rest easy knowing it's a good light.

As for Li-ions:

Make sure you purchase high quality (meaning, expensive) Li-ion cells. AW is a very highly regarded battery dealer/manufacturer, so check out their selection.
Make sure you buy quality protected cells, if this is your first time using Li-ions. The protection circuit will trip when cell voltage goes too low, preventing (hopefully) an overdischarge of the cell...
Make sure you get a high quality (again, expensive) charger/diagnostic center for your batteries, and do a little reading in the "Smoke,Fire and heat" sub-forum about the dangers of Li-ion technology. Over discharging/charging can damage cells, greatly increasing the chance of an "explosively-fire-venting" event and thus a "breathing in hydrofluoric-acid-event."

Max53

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.
However i have a few questions about it. When you say "The voltage should still be below the 9v of primaries" does "primaries" mean the cells the light was designed to use?

I cant find any expensive cr123 cells. "Lithium-ion rechargeable cells are usually rated at 3.6/7 volts" but the Fenix website says to only use 3v, does this matter if i use 3.6v cells? And one last question. It seems as though you dont like Fenix, what is your prefered brand of light. Thanks a lot.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply.
However i have a few questions about it. When you say "The voltage should still be below the 9v of primaries" does "primaries" mean the cells the light was designed to use?

I cant find any expensive cr123 cells. "Lithium-ion rechargeable cells are usually rated at 3.6/7 volts" but the Fenix website says to only use 3v, does this matter if i use 3.6v cells? And one last question. It seems as though you dont like Fenix, what is your prefered brand of light. Thanks a lot.

Primaries are just that, primary, non rechargeable cells. Like disposable CR123's, AA's etc.

Yes, it may well matter. If the driver was only meant to use three 3v primary cells (9v), and you were to use three Li-ions (12.2v) you may fry the driver. However, using two RCR123's or two 18500's will provide only ~8.4 volts, thus not damaging it.

I love Fenix lights. They are an extremely durable, reputable brand that makes a lot of high quality products at a reasonable price. They just have their limitations. Being unable to use Li-ion and having no real "ultra-low" outputs are two main complaints of most people here at CPF.

Max53

Newly Enlightened
Now i know this i think i want a light with the same form factor but using AA, do you know of any? This was still really helpfull, thanks.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify the previous posts, that include some mis-information. The TA30 driver works in 4-14V range, so it can use almost anything, that'll fit into the tube:
3x CR123A
3x RCR123A (rechargeable li-ions)
2x17500
2x14500
2xAlkalines/Ni-MH (although the higher modes won't work ...this is just for emergency)
...and any other cells, that won't exceed 14V in total.

The flashlight body is too narrow for 18500. I have the 17500 cells from AW, and they fit just perfect (no rattling at all). Overall, it's a great flashlight, built like a tank and can survive a lot.

As for the batteries, you can use AW. They are very good. There's a thread in marketplace in dealers section where you can buy them.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify the previous posts, that include some mis-information. The TA30 driver works in 4-14V range, so it can use almost anything, that'll fit into the tube:
3x CR123A
3x RCR123A (rechargeable li-ions)
2x17500
2x14500
2xAlkalines/Ni-MH (although the higher modes won't work ...this is just for emergency)
...and any other cells, that won't exceed 14V in total.

The flashlight body is too narrow for 18500. I have the 17500 cells from AW, and they fit just perfect (no rattling at all). Overall, it's a great flashlight, built like a tank and can survive a lot.

As for the batteries, you can use AW. They are very good. There's a thread in marketplace in dealers section where you can buy them.

Ah, OK, I was unsure whether the TA30 was a two or three cell light. I assumed 3, but was unsure of the voltage range of the driver.

I was also undure of the internal diameter of the light.

To the OP, you'll still get better runtime with two 17500 vs three 16430.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
With two 17500 cells from AW, I'm getting flat regulation for ~2h:10min on highest setting. That's a lot. Didn't check lower modes, but since they're current controled, I'm sure the runtime would be also very good.